• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I went to a comic store

189 posts in this topic

If there was only one store in your area (within an hour radius) and you KNEW you could run a better shop, would anybody feel bad or think it's wrong to run a store out of business that had been there for years?

I wouldn't feel bad either way, free market. Don't need to run negative ads against the other guy or anything. Run the best shop you can and let the market decide, nothing wrong with that (I don't mind hearing some arguments if its a chain company moving in though). Maybe it'll inspire the other guy to make a better shop and customers get two good successful shops in the area instead of one sucky shop. That could be a win for everyone.

I could see if a chain shop opened like you mentioned, but I was thinking more along the lines of another local owned shop. I could give a list of how this shop is, and anybody on here could think of a million things to do in a better way. In fact, I will in a follow-up post if anybody is interested.

And I know rent here would be really cheap, especially if split with a co-owner or something. I just didn't know if people would think it's wrong or not.

Not a thing wrong with that.

There is one LCS where I live. I get 10% off the comics I buy there. Under the previous owner that 10% off was for any comic, TPB or hard cover in the store. The new owner changed it to just comics, not TPBs or HCs. I let him know that as much as I like supporting a local business that I wanted to continue to get my TPBs and HCs at a 10% discount. He said no. I told him he could sell them to me at 10% off or he could lose 100% of the sale. He said fine. So now I order my TPBs and HCs on-line at 25% off.

If there were another local option I'd be there on opening day to see if they were willing to treat me better.

I've never thought about having a discount on TPBs and HCs. I wonder how many shops do that? What margin of profit would an owner have after the initial cost of ordering?

I'm not sure. Maybe it depends on how much they order, like with single issues. (shrug)

What I do know however is that you don't have to look very hard to find new TPBs and HCs on-line for 10-25% off cover.

I think that would be a good thing for shops. I would definitely purchase more in stores if they did that.

For sure I'd give at least 10% off TPB's and HC's to subscribers, with maybe a 20% off sale a few times a year. And its not too prohibitive to make the customer have to buy 2 or more to get the discount. Its insane to act like the internet doesn't exist at all.

If there was only one store in your area (within an hour radius) and you KNEW you could run a better shop, would anybody feel bad or think it's wrong to run a store out of business that had been there for years?

It's your capitalist economic DUTY to open and run a better store. :preach:

It's your capitalist economic DUTY to open and run a better store. :preach:

lol

I wish I could!

I wouldn't feel bad either way, free market. Don't need to run negative ads against the other guy or anything. Run the best shop you can and let the market decide, nothing wrong with that (I don't mind hearing some arguments if its a chain company moving in though). Maybe it'll inspire the other guy to make a better shop and customers get two good successful shops in the area instead of one sucky shop. That could be a win for everyone.

I could see if a chain shop opened like you mentioned, but I was thinking more along the lines of another local owned shop. I could give a list of how this shop is, and anybody on here could think of a million things to do in a better way. In fact, I will in a follow-up post if anybody is interested.

And I know rent here would be really cheap, especially if split with a co-owner or something. I just didn't know if people would think it's wrong or not.

Not a thing wrong with that.

There is one LCS where I live. I get 10% off the comics I buy there. Under the previous owner that 10% off was for any comic, TPB or hard cover in the store. The new owner changed it to just comics, not TPBs or HCs. I let him know that as much as I like supporting a local business that I wanted to continue to get my TPBs and HCs at a 10% discount. He said no. I told him he could sell them to me at 10% off or he could lose 100% of the sale. He said fine. So now I order my TPBs and HCs on-line at 25% off.

If there were another local option I'd be there on opening day to see if they were willing to treat me better.

I've never thought about having a discount on TPBs and HCs. I wonder how many shops do that? What margin of profit would an owner have after the initial cost of ordering?

I'm not sure. Maybe it depends on how much they order, like with single issues. (shrug)

What I do know however is that you don't have to look very hard to find new TPBs and HCs on-line for 10-25% off cover.

I think that would be a good thing for shops. I would definitely purchase more in stores if they did that.

For sure I'd give at least 10% off TPB's and HC's to subscribers, with maybe a 20% off sale a few times a year. And its not too prohibitive to make the customer have to buy 2 or more to get the discount. Its insane to act like the internet doesn't exist at all.

Agreed. There was a time when LCS's could combat the internet with the fact that they have the item on hand, ready to sell to you so you can read it right away. But in the age of next-day shipping from Amazon (who will also offer a 40% discount on a lot of their new books) they've lost even that bit of competitive edge.

Serious question, and I'm sure I might be thinking about this the wrong way, but I was looking at Diamond to see how they price their orders. If I'm understanding correctly, each store has to order a minimum of $425 each month. Based on the discount scale, that pretty much means the highest discount a small store with that monthly order amount would get a 35% discount.

Why not order from DCBS and save 40%? :shrug:

Serious question, and I'm sure I might be thinking about this the wrong way, but I was looking at Diamond to see how they price their orders. If I'm understanding correctly, each store has to order a minimum of $425 each month. Based on the discount scale, that pretty much means the highest discount a small store with that monthly order amount would get a 35% discount.

Well, first of all, you won't probably get the new books in on the Tuesday like everyone else and therefore, you won't have them available on Wednesday when all you customers are expecting it.

Well, first of all, you won't probably get the new books in on the Tuesday like everyone else and therefore, you won't have them available on Wednesday when all you customers are expecting it.

Ahh...didn't even think about the release dates. :facepalm:

They also limit you to two issues per title w/ their shipping rate. They will send you this message if you trigger their attention by ordering too many of any one title:

Based on your order containing multiple items, what platform are you selling your multiple copies on? We only ask because our contract with Diamond prohibits us from selling to retailers.

Because we are a single consumer retailer, we create our prices to benefit the average customer. Because you are reselling product you are purchasing through our discounted service, this puts your account outside of that norm. Going forward, any order you place with us will incur actual shipping costs.

If you take a look at our FAQ page, your will note we have a section for our policies regarding retailers and resellers:

Do you sell to retailers, re-sellers, or buying clubs?

DCBS does not sell to retailers, because we are prohibited from doing so in our contract with our distributor. DCBS is a retailer selling to individual customers.

Our flat rate shipping and discounts are based on a single consumer purchase. Customers selling on eBay, Amazon, or other auction sites, that are not eligible for a Diamond account, may place orders with our approval. Those customer orders are not eligible for flat rate shipping and are subject to actual shipping costs.

Orders that contain multiple quantities of more than a quantity of 2 are clearly orders for resale, speculation, or group purchase, and are also not eligible for flat rate shipping and are subject to actual shipping costs. Those accounts will be noted accordingly.

Thank you for your business!

Please let us know if you have any questions.

They also limit you to two issues per title w/ their shipping rate. They will send you this message if you trigger their attention by ordering too many of any one title:

Based on your order containing multiple items, what platform are you selling your multiple copies on? We only ask because our contract with Diamond prohibits us from selling to retailers.

Because we are a single consumer retailer, we create our prices to benefit the average customer. Because you are reselling product you are purchasing through our discounted service, this puts your account outside of that norm. Going forward, any order you place with us will incur actual shipping costs.

If you take a look at our FAQ page, your will note we have a section for our policies regarding retailers and resellers:

DCBS does not sell to retailers, because we are prohibited from doing so in our contract with our distributor. DCBS is a retailer selling to individual customers.

Our flat rate shipping and discounts are based on a single consumer purchase. Customers selling on eBay, Amazon, or other auction sites, that are not eligible for a Diamond account, may place orders with our approval. Those customer orders are not eligible for flat rate shipping and are subject to actual shipping costs.

Orders that contain multiple quantities of more than a quantity of 2 are clearly orders for resale, speculation, or group purchase, and are also not eligible for flat rate shipping and are subject to actual shipping costs. Those accounts will be noted accordingly.

if you're a retailer in the US (and maybe some other places too), Diamond is your choice. Your only choice.

As someone loaded with OCD, this store drives me especially crazy. It's just another example of someone with a store who doesn't deserve one.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but why do you always come off as so bitter like this?

...because I want a shop. I want a shop like Chris' (Junkdrawer). There's nothing like it for miles down here and the "regular" comic shops here all suck save for one. I know for a fact I can do a better job than most of the yahoos out there. I lack the funds, end of story. The fact that places like the one in this thread (and the ones around here) exist just rubs me the wrong way. It's all luck, and I grow tired of seeing it whenever it pops up.

Most of the shops around here I wonder HOW they stay open. Hell, even the guys at the flea markets I wonder how...even assuming they have other jobs. I just don't get it all, and that makes me depressed.

My god, are you ever gonna learn? It isn't luck. Not a shred. It starts with a dream and then hard, hard work to open a shop.

If you really want to open a comic store find a job, perhaps two jobs, and work your socks off. Live as cheaply as possible and save every penny you can. Buy collections and sell at flea markets or local pop culture/comic shows or online. Build an inventory. Dream big and work you butt off to get there.

Quit whining and feeling sorry for yourself and quit running down people who have opened stores and accomplished what you seemingly can't.

Be nice. I don't think Chip is complaining about well run places, more about these disasters. I think many of these disasters don't actually make money, but if they break even its a hobby, maybe with some write offs. The owners may have other income, etc. Or they go out of business.

I'll say this, while I think the Arizona shop featured in the other thread is making a mistake with their "members" section nonsense, it does look like they are hustling like crazy to build a good shop, so I have to give them credit for that.

Frankly chip, and I know it is probably not viable right now with your domestic situation, but it does sound like the entry costs in your neck of the woods are pretty small. True, you might have a spot in a bad location as a result, so you'd have to hustle with the advertising:

http://www.loopnet.com/Listing/19646700/4971-Socastee-Boulevard-Myrtle-Beach-SC/

My guess is that these are $1200 a month. Do you think you'd be able to split that with someone, maybe they have a section in the back or something?

Here's what you can get for $5,800 a month (650 square feet) in an up and coming area of Brooklyn with hipsters who might buy comics (but not on a main street):

http://www.loopnet.com/Listing/19612362/109-North-5th-Street-Brooklyn-NY/

$4100 for 400 square feet, also in a good area for this sort of thing:

http://www.loopnet.com/Listing/19845561/246-Smith-Street-Brooklyn-NY/

Looks like I won't be opening a shop in brooklyn!!

Sorry but I was nice when I donated a small amount last month and bought a book that was donated. Apparently the help he received has only kicked the problems down the road and he has failed to recognize that his problems are a result of decisions he's made.

And it's sad, I believe Chip does love the hobby and could run a great store but he's not willing to do the work to create it. It isn't luck.

There's a shop here in GA owned by a guy that still lives with his parents. His wife has a decent job. He sits on his fatazz all day and barely moves. He orders tons of new books, and most of them go into longboxes that go into the back because he doesn't even order properly. He's been in business for years. I consider Jabba to be lucky. I'm sure there are 1000 guys who have worked really hard to open/keep open a shop to this one slug, but there are always exceptions. I was contacted recently by a multi millionaire that's putting together a shop for his loser brother who's never done anything with his life. That guy isn't working hard. His brother did. He was just lucky enough to have his hard working and rich brother feel sorry for him, and buy him a business. I know plenty of guys who have worked their arse off to eek out a living doing what they love, but there are examples of lucky slugs too.

As someone loaded with OCD, this store drives me especially crazy. It's just another example of someone with a store who doesn't deserve one.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but why do you always come off as so bitter like this?

...because I want a shop. I want a shop like Chris' (Junkdrawer). There's nothing like it for miles down here and the "regular" comic shops here all suck save for one. I know for a fact I can do a better job than most of the yahoos out there. I lack the funds, end of story. The fact that places like the one in this thread (and the ones around here) exist just rubs me the wrong way. It's all luck, and I grow tired of seeing it whenever it pops up.

Most of the shops around here I wonder HOW they stay open. Hell, even the guys at the flea markets I wonder how...even assuming they have other jobs. I just don't get it all, and that makes me depressed.

My god, are you ever gonna learn? It isn't luck. Not a shred. It starts with a dream and then hard, hard work to open a shop.

If you really want to open a comic store find a job, perhaps two jobs, and work your socks off. Live as cheaply as possible and save every penny you can. Buy collections and sell at flea markets or local pop culture/comic shows or online. Build an inventory. Dream big and work you butt off to get there.

Quit whining and feeling sorry for yourself and quit running down people who have opened stores and accomplished what you seemingly can't.

Good, honest advice. There's no such thing as luck. Luck is just where preparation and hard work meets opportunity

Absolutely true. Some guys are given the world but if you're not one of them you have to earn it. Life ain't fair but it can be overcome.

if you're a retailer in the US (and maybe some other places too), Diamond is your choice. Your only choice.

Yeah I guess they are. I had never looked into it before. $425 is a good amount on top of rent, overhead, etc. It makes me wonder how much turnover shops in smaller communities have.

Those pictures remind me of two stores I used to frequent when I was collecting except they had legitimate check out areas. Searching for comics was quite exhausting. Most of the time, I would just give up the battle and purchase online.

I just cannot understand how any shop owner allows comic overstock or stacks of other inventory items to be piled up and left all over their back issue section. Most shop owners in the area don't care about their back stock.

Most of the comic shops I have visited are usually dark, unorganized, unfriendly and sometimes smelly. The nicer well lit ones rarely carry back issues. :cry:

Here's what you can get for $5,800 a month (650 square feet) in an up and coming area of Brooklyn with hipsters who might buy comics (but not on a main street):

http://www.loopnet.com/Listing/19612362/109-North-5th-Street-Brooklyn-NY/

Looks like I won't be opening a shop in brooklyn!!

There are so many things wrong with this listing it isn't even remotely amusing.

1 - Whole Foods still has not opened. They are supposedly sharing a building with Levi Jeans as well.

2 - Apple has still not finalized on a building plan and they have been saying Apple would be on Bedford and North 4th across from the Duane Reed for over two years now.

3 - This area still specializes in boutique shops and overpriced junk that people like to browse through. Go take a look at the nonsense that is sold in trays and the clothes hung up by the Taco Truck on North 7th and Bedford by the Dunkin and the Starbucks. The 'non-hipsters' call it the rejected eBay stuff.

4 - Selling comics in this area would be VERY tough. The kids are not buying comics at $4 a pop here in the city. I rarely see kids at Forbidden Planet and places around NYC. However, here, you would have the hipsters. The hipsters like to sit around in coffee shops all day and hang out. Unless you are having them pay at the door your comic book store on N5th and Berry would be a soon to be out of business library.

Now this is not directed at Blob, but something toward everyone. It is not enough to create a great store in a great location. Would the local population support your business? If yes then you roll, if not then it's a no go.

I personally see a lot of turnover in this area and places around here do not last long unless they have some ownership in the building.

I was just looking at some random spots around me (not that Greenpoint is anywhere near me). I figure hipsters read comics and GNs, but maybe they aren't buying stacks of what ever Marvel puts out. There are certainly brooklyn comic shops trying to cater to hipsters, but they might all be going out of business, I don't know.

Anyway, my point was that it just isn't feasible at those rents, whereas the myrtle beach rents seem more doable.

Yeah I guess they are. I had never looked into it before. $425 is a good amount on top of rent, overhead, etc. It makes me wonder how much turnover shops in smaller communities have.

---

that's only around 200 books though, not including trades, etc.

So $425 amounts to $700 an change at full retail?

Who can/would run a store selling less than that a month in new books unless it's a junkdrawer type hangout spot or that other one someone showed here.

There is a store near me that sells a few comics (all used), some old toys, used video games, and a lot of magik cards and kids play in the back (they also sell snacks)

I assume they (old people who run the store) own the building and live upstairs, because I cannot fathom they sell enough stuff to pay brooklyn rent (the space is not small, I'd guess 600-800 square feet). it's not in a hipster zone, but the space would probably still be $2K a month.

I'd love to have a store that I could live upstairs in. Heck, even downstairs. Saves money, and allows you to be spending as much time as you could want detailing your inventory and taking care of business.

I'd love to have a store that I could live upstairs in. Heck, even downstairs. Saves money, and allows you to be spending as much time as you could want detailing your inventory and taking care of business.
Yeah, I wish they made more units like that. These days when almost everything is a franchise owned by a group of investors who employ people to run the store I guess there's not much market for it anymore. I've always been fascinated with the shop owner who lived upstairs though. It seems like a cool life. No matter what they're making/selling.

Yeah, I wish they made more units like that. These days when almost everything is a franchise owned by a group of investors who employ people to run the store I guess there's not much market for it anymore. I've always been fascinated with the shop owner who lived upstairs though. It seems like a cool life. No matter what they're making/selling.

Only problem I have with it is the cooking smells and people who are unkempt. It makes the shopping experience especially disgusting.