• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I went to a comic store

189 posts in this topic

As someone loaded with OCD, this store drives me especially crazy. It's just another example of someone with a store who doesn't deserve one.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but why do you always come off as so bitter like this?

...because I want a shop. I want a shop like Chris' (Junkdrawer). There's nothing like it for miles down here and the "regular" comic shops here all suck save for one. I know for a fact I can do a better job than most of the yahoos out there. I lack the funds, end of story. The fact that places like the one in this thread (and the ones around here) exist just rubs me the wrong way. It's all luck, and I grow tired of seeing it whenever it pops up.

Most of the shops around here I wonder HOW they stay open. Hell, even the guys at the flea markets I wonder how...even assuming they have other jobs. I just don't get it all, and that makes me depressed.

My god, are you ever gonna learn? It isn't luck. Not a shred. It starts with a dream and then hard, hard work to open a shop.

If you really want to open a comic store find a job, perhaps two jobs, and work your socks off. Live as cheaply as possible and save every penny you can. Buy collections and sell at flea markets or local pop culture/comic shows or online. Build an inventory. Dream big and work you butt off to get there.

Quit whining and feeling sorry for yourself and quit running down people who have opened stores and accomplished what you seemingly can't.

Those pictures remind me a whole lot of my LCS. Nothing really in any order and often he surprises himself by finding some of his own books in the dollar bin and puts them ebay. I don't even know where the dollar bin is. lol

But I love the store, I only wish he didn't have so much product and it was better organized.

Looks like an overpriced storage locker for a rich kid who doesn't care anymore

The owner was a 60 year old hippie who didn't understand CGC and was anit-eBay.

It sounds and looks like a place I used to work..I mean right down to the toys and DC depot..

lol

but it was a shop in Florida I worked at..lol

As someone loaded with OCD, this store drives me especially crazy. It's just another example of someone with a store who doesn't deserve one.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but why do you always come off as so bitter like this?

...because I want a shop. I want a shop like Chris' (Junkdrawer). There's nothing like it for miles down here and the "regular" comic shops here all suck save for one. I know for a fact I can do a better job than most of the yahoos out there. I lack the funds, end of story. The fact that places like the one in this thread (and the ones around here) exist just rubs me the wrong way. It's all luck, and I grow tired of seeing it whenever it pops up.

Most of the shops around here I wonder HOW they stay open. Hell, even the guys at the flea markets I wonder how...even assuming they have other jobs. I just don't get it all, and that makes me depressed.

My god, are you ever gonna learn? It isn't luck. Not a shred. It starts with a dream and then hard, hard work to open a shop.

If you really want to open a comic store find a job, perhaps two jobs, and work your socks off. Live as cheaply as possible and save every penny you can. Buy collections and sell at flea markets or local pop culture/comic shows or online. Build an inventory. Dream big and work you butt off to get there.

Quit whining and feeling sorry for yourself and quit running down people who have opened stores and accomplished what you seemingly can't.

these days I think it's completely normal to open a shop without much of a back catalog and to just build out the back issue sections from your modern overstock from your monthly orders. Seems to me that many shops don't even carry back issues more than 5-10 years old. But of course it would be a much better store if they had a good back issue selection to start with

Aren't you doing ebay comics full time now? You don't think a brick and mortar could generate enough to pay the rent and then some while giving you a spot to work during the day and not cluttering up your house with ebay stuff? lots of down time doing retail means lots of time to list auctions/pack. at some point aren't your kids going to overrun you if you keep on working at home?

I was but not anymore. No money. Working capital for the business was used for other stuff (like when my car died) so I'm only doing it part-time and that's only when I get consignments or find something locally.

Cluttering up my house? Well, since April & Everly moved out there's a lot more space.

PM me if you'd like more info about my situation now...I don't want to muck the thread up with my personal garbage. :)

As far as finding stuff locally it's tough when all I can do is Craigslist ads. I know for a fact a HUGE collection just "walked in" to one of the local stores recently...mostly a pop-culture store (t-shirts, POPs, etc). I need a store front where stuff can "walk into" it...that's one of the ways I miss out on things.

OK, sorry, I was not aware of your situation. Things were more upbeat a year or two ago.

Good, honest advice. There's no such thing as luck. Luck is just where preparation and hard work meets opportunity

Be nice. I don't think Chip is complaining about well run places, more about these disasters. I think many of these disasters don't actually make money, but if they break even its a hobby, maybe with some write offs. The owners may have other income, etc. Or they go out of business.

I'll say this, while I think the Arizona shop featured in the other thread is making a mistake with their "members" section nonsense, it does look like they are hustling like crazy to build a good shop, so I have to give them credit for that.

Frankly chip, and I know it is probably not viable right now with your domestic situation, but it does sound like the entry costs in your neck of the woods are pretty small. True, you might have a spot in a bad location as a result, so you'd have to hustle with the advertising:

http://www.loopnet.com/Listing/19646700/4971-Socastee-Boulevard-Myrtle-Beach-SC/

My guess is that these are $1200 a month. Do you think you'd be able to split that with someone, maybe they have a section in the back or something?

Here's what you can get for $5,800 a month (650 square feet) in an up and coming area of Brooklyn with hipsters who might buy comics (but not on a main street):

http://www.loopnet.com/Listing/19612362/109-North-5th-Street-Brooklyn-NY/

$4100 for 400 square feet, also in a good area for this sort of thing:

http://www.loopnet.com/Listing/19845561/246-Smith-Street-Brooklyn-NY/

Looks like I won't be opening a shop in brooklyn!!

Good, honest advice. There's no such thing as luck. Luck is just where preparation and hard work meets opportunity

Boom.

How many of these shop owners does he think won the lottery or inherited their money?

There's a shop here in GA owned by a guy that still lives with his parents. His wife has a decent job. He sits on his fatazz all day and barely moves. He orders tons of new books, and most of them go into longboxes that go into the back because he doesn't even order properly. He's been in business for years. I consider Jabba to be lucky. I'm sure there are 1000 guys who have worked really hard to open/keep open a shop to this one slug, but there are always exceptions. I was contacted recently by a multi millionaire that's putting together a shop for his loser brother who's never done anything with his life. That guy isn't working hard. His brother did. He was just lucky enough to have his hard working and rich brother feel sorry for him, and buy him a business. I know plenty of guys who have worked their arse off to eek out a living doing what they love, but there are examples of lucky slugs too.

Boom.

How many of these shop owners does he think won the lottery or inherited their money?

Go Fund Me (shrug)

Be nice. I don't think Chip is complaining about well run places, more about these disasters. I think many of these disasters don't actually make money, but if they break even its a hobby, maybe with some write offs. The owners may have other income, etc. Or they go out of business.

I'll say this, while I think the Arizona shop featured in the other thread is making a mistake with their "members" section nonsense, it does look like they are hustling like crazy to build a good shop, so I have to give them credit for that.

Frankly chip, and I know it is probably not viable right now with your domestic situation, but it does sound like the entry costs in your neck of the woods are pretty small. True, you might have a spot in a bad location as a result, so you'd have to hustle with the advertising:

http://www.loopnet.com/Listing/19646700/4971-Socastee-Boulevard-Myrtle-Beach-SC/

My guess is that these are $1200 a month. Do you think you'd be able to split that with someone, maybe they have a section in the back or something?

Here's what you can get for $5,800 a month (650 square feet) in an up and coming area of Brooklyn with hipsters who might buy comics (but not on a main street):

$4100 for 400 square feet, also in a good area for this sort of thing:

http://www.loopnet.com/Listing/19845561/246-Smith-Street-Brooklyn-NY/

Splitting wouldn't be bad. With other shops in competition, you'd definitely have to set your shop apart.

I can only imagine the rent in my area. I guarantee it's even cheaper than Myrtle Beach. I'd bet less than $900. There's only one shop here, and it's pretty rough. No back issues, can't buy multiple copies of an issue unless you pay $10 for the second copy, there's old toys and newspapers piled up all over the place. The guy isn't friendly.

It's a very small town, so I either think 1) I would run him out of business, 2) I wouldn't stay in business because he might have loyal customers, or 3) I'd need to market to newcomers in order to stay open and make it work.

There's a shop here in GA owned by a guy that still lives with his parents. His wife has a decent job. He sits on his fatazz all day and barely moves. He orders tons of new books, and most of them go into longboxes that go into the back because he doesn't even order properly. He's been in business for years. I consider Jabba to be lucky. I'm sure there are 1000 guys who have worked really hard to open/keep open a shop to this one slug, but there are always exceptions. I was contacted recently by a multi millionaire that's putting together a shop for his loser brother who's never done anything with his life. That guy isn't working hard. His brother did. He was just lucky enough to have his hard working and rich brother feel sorry for him, and buy him a business. I know plenty of guys who have worked their arse off to eek out a living doing what they love, but there are examples of lucky slugs too.

you still haven't even stopped by my shop...too busy hanging out with garth ennis?

start in an antique store. another store owner here did that.

open with a partner. i know a few that did that.

get 2 jobs, open the store and hire someone to work there while you work at your 2 jobs. then when the store is profitable, you can slowly move to being full time at your store.

it's not easy but i know you'll work hard.

i started just to buy collections at a physical location but now i want the store to grow.

so much so that for for a long time now, I put in 13 hour days at the store 7 days a week.

i even started learning games i told myself i would never play. board games/mtg/pokey mans/etc

There are so many things wrong with this listing it isn't even remotely amusing.

1 - Whole Foods still has not opened. They are supposedly sharing a building with Levi Jeans as well.

2 - Apple has still not finalized on a building plan and they have been saying Apple would be on Bedford and North 4th across from the Duane Reed for over two years now.

3 - This area still specializes in boutique shops and overpriced junk that people like to browse through. Go take a look at the nonsense that is sold in trays and the clothes hung up by the Taco Truck on North 7th and Bedford by the Dunkin and the Starbucks. The 'non-hipsters' call it the rejected eBay stuff.

4 - Selling comics in this area would be VERY tough. The kids are not buying comics at $4 a pop here in the city. I rarely see kids at Forbidden Planet and places around NYC. However, here, you would have the hipsters. The hipsters like to sit around in coffee shops all day and hang out. Unless you are having them pay at the door your comic book store on N5th and Berry would be a soon to be out of business library.

Now this is not directed at Blob, but something toward everyone. It is not enough to create a great store in a great location. Would the local population support your business? If yes then you roll, if not then it's a no go.

I personally see a lot of turnover in this area and places around here do not last long unless they have some ownership in the building.

this guy might be 'lucky', but at some point SOMEONE had to work hard to get the money for the shop, and he had to put in the effort into finding, marrying, and staying married to the 'right' person, which can be A LOT of effort (and isn't as easy as Kate Hudson movies would have us believe).

So if his parents worked hard so the son can live his dream of owning a comic shop, I don't have a problem with that. I doubt he's forcibly turning out his wife on the corner so he can break even having a crappy comic shop. He's not harming anyone by having a poorly run shop. His lazy business practices don't produce unsafe safety railings or poisonous baby formula, they just result in him selling less comics than he otherwise might.

When you see someone doing something procedurally or common sensibly wrong, learn from it whatever you can and move on, especially if doesn't actually affect you or you can't impact the result or it doesn't hurt anyone. Take what you've learned apply it to whatever's coming next. That's how you keep moving forward. Life's already tough enough with all the wrong things that actually affect your life.

There are so many things wrong with this listing it isn't even remotely amusing.

1 - Whole Foods still has not opened. They are supposedly sharing a building with Levi Jeans as well.

2 - Apple has still not finalized on a building plan and they have been saying Apple would be on Bedford and North 4th across from the Duane Reed for over two years now.

3 - This area still specializes in boutique shops and overpriced junk that people like to browse through. Go take a look at the nonsense that is sold in trays and the clothes hung up by the Taco Truck on North 7th and Bedford by the Dunkin and the Starbucks. The 'non-hipsters' call it the rejected eBay stuff.

4 - Selling comics in this area would be VERY tough. The kids are not buying comics at $4 a pop here in the city. I rarely see kids at Forbidden Planet and places around NYC. However, here, you would have the hipsters. The hipsters like to sit around in coffee shops all day and hang out. Unless you are having them pay at the door your comic book store on N5th and Berry would be a soon to be out of business library.

Now this is not directed at Blob, but something toward everyone. It is not enough to create a great store in a great location. Would the local population support your business? If yes then you roll, if not then it's a no go.

I personally see a lot of turnover in this area and places around here do not last long unless they have some ownership in the building.

Can I get a four month lease with a pop-up store and just sell anti-Trump hipster gear there? hoodies, man purses, flannel, tanktops, fake tattoos, mason jars, shoe laces, water bottles, bicycle seats/helmets, beard trimmers, etc?

*Note that this is not a political post, I just think that specific market would be RIPE for that type of merchandise.

Can I get a four month lease with a pop-up store and just sell anti-Trump hipster gear there? hoodies, man purses, flannel, tanktops, fake tattoos, mason jars, shoe laces, water bottles, bicycle seats/helmets, beard trimmers, etc?

*Note that this is not a political post, I just think that specific market would be RIPE for that type of merchandise.

Yesterday I saw one of them walking down Bedford wearing a red colored trucker style, "Make America Great Again" hat that was turned to the side. They are an odd bunch.

Splitting wouldn't be bad. With other shops in competition, you'd definitely have to set your shop apart.

I can only imagine the rent in my area. I guarantee it's even cheaper than Myrtle Beach. I'd bet less than $900. There's only one shop here, and it's pretty rough. No back issues, can't buy multiple copies of an issue unless you pay $10 for the second copy, there's old toys and newspapers piled up all over the place. The guy isn't friendly.

It's a very small town, so I either think 1) I would run him out of business, 2) I wouldn't stay in business because he might have loyal customers, or 3) I'd need to market to newcomers in order to stay open and make it work.

Say what? Holy that guy is an with gold tassels and an honorary badge! :mad: