• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic Connect reputation?

80 posts in this topic

I've had good experiences with Metro/CC in both buying and selling. I've bought raw books that came out to the expected grade I had as well as slabbed books. CC did realize great prices for me when I consigned with them. I'll certainly go back and consign some more in the future.

The seller or buyer can instruct CC not to report. I have made a similar request on a purchase.

I guess, and mayne I am wrong, gpa sign a contract with the aucrion house to have ALL the prices realized.

In this case, choosing to not submit an auction result is just wrong.

I thought the exact opposite was true as GPA is the one that is being selective in their reporting. (shrug)

I believe they are only reporting on the auction results for CGC graded books and ignoring the auction results for all of the other grading companies. :flamed:

Not a fan of ComicConnect. I took advice from them once and gave them some books to auction off. I lost a lot of money so I asked for my remaining books back.

What type of books were these that you lost money on?

Were they vintage collectible books which are the books that the vast majority of Metro and CC's customer base would be looking for? Just wondering because different selling venues works best depending upon the types of bboks that you are trying to sell. hm

For example, I would definitely not be going to Metro if I was trying to move a bunch of 9.8 graded MA books that just came out within the past few years. :tonofbricks:

The seller or buyer can instruct CC not to report. I have made a similar request on a purchase.

I guess, and mayne I am wrong, gpa sign a contract with the aucrion house to have ALL the prices realized.

In this case, choosing to not submit an auction result is just wrong.

I thought the exact opposite was true as GPA is the one that is being selective in their reporting. (shrug)

I believe they are only reporting on the auction results for CGC graded books and ignoring the auction results for all of the other grading companies. :flamed:

Well, GPA is billing themselves as a tracking tool for "CGC comics", not third party graded comics. It's even part of the name of the website, "GPAanalysis for CGC comics". So why exactly should they be reporting other grading companies sales? (shrug)

Not a fan of ComicConnect. I took advice from them once and gave them some books to auction off. I lost a lot of money so I asked for my remaining books back.

Were they vintage collectible books which are the books that the vast majority of Metro and CC's customer base would be looking for? Just wondering because different selling venues works best depending upon the types of bboks that you are trying to sell. hm

For example, I would definitely not be going to Metro if I was trying to move a bunch of 9.8 graded MA books that just came out within the past few years. :tonofbricks:

The loss was on high grade copies of Hulk#181 and DD#7. But like I mentioned, it wasn't so much the loss or the sales BS he dished out that bothered me, it was his unprofessional response when I asked for my remaining books back. Essentially, he didn't want to send the books back and wanted to charge me $200 for having already scanned the book, which I refused. When I finally received a cheque for the sold books, it was short because the buyer paid with a credit card apparently, and the 3% credit card fee comes out of my pot. When I inquired, he blamed me for not stipulating "no credit card". If he really was on my side, I think he would have mention this to me before hand... but whatever. Better to cut my losses and keep my distance. As well, he claimed my books arrived damaged and I was force to pay for reslabbing them. I suppose it's possible but to this day, that was the one and only time a recipient ever claimed that my slabs arrived damaged. Too many funky things about that whole experience just made me suspicious. Since this experience, I've spent a lot of money buying books and I'm happy that not a single penny went to ComicConnet.

I've sold over $1 million in comics through CC during the past 3 years and am very pleased with them. I've just consigned an AF 15 and AS 1 for a future auction.

One thing not mentioned in this thread is that you can't snipe their auctions and as a seller that gives me confidence that no money was left on the table.

Another issue not mentioned is their accounting is accurate and easy to understand - especially when consigning a large number of books in multiple auctions.

As for working in the seller's best interests, their staff busts their butts working the phones and contacting potential bidders. If one of my books in one of their auctions doesn't perform at the level I think it will, it's market forces at the time of the sale that are responsible, not the effort they expend on my behalf.

I sell through all the major auction houses. All have their strong points as well as areas where they come up a bit short. I suggest you try them all. Eventually you'll gravitate to the company that does the best job for you and you'll do the bulk of your business with them.

The question was how they are on raw books. They get top dollar for their good stuff, without a doubt and grade that stuff spot on.

However, there is no excuse for selling a book as a VF+ and it is missing its MVS.

I've sold over $1 million in comics through CC during the past 3 years and am very pleased with them. I've just consigned an AF 15 and AS 1 for a future auction.

One thing not mentioned in this thread is that you can't snipe their auctions and as a seller that gives me confidence that no money was left on the table.

Another issue not mentioned is their accounting is accurate and easy to understand - especially when consigning a large number of books in multiple auctions.

As for working in the seller's best interests, their staff busts their butts working the phones and contacting potential bidders. If one of my books in one of their auctions doesn't perform at the level I think it will, it's market forces at the time of the sale that are responsible, not the effort they expend on my behalf.

I sell through all the major auction houses. All have their strong points as well as areas where they come up a bit short. I suggest you try them all. Eventually you'll gravitate to the company that does the best job for you and you'll do the bulk of your business with them.

I believe it.

If you're giving them a million dollars worth of inventory, I would expect nothing but top service. With that kind of leverage, you should even be able to negotiate a better rate. If I had boxes of high end books to sell, I would definitely feel safer dealing with a specialize auction house. Probably not ComicConnect due to my bad experience but one of the many, many others.

However, if you're a small time hobbyist like myself, don't expect much. In fact, after up selling me on an upcoming auction as being "huge"... they bumped my books because someone with more leverage wanted their same book in the auction that my book was scheduled for. This turned out to be a blessing, which ended up being the book that I asked to be returned and where they got upset and wanted to charge me $200 for having scanned it.

Regarding buying RAWs, I would avoid it. There are just so many other sources with easier to navigate web sites. Not to mention shows, stores and individual dealers who can be more flexible. Lately, I've been using MyComicShop. I'm not an “important” buyer but their attention to detail has been stellar. I use to use ComicLink a lot but they haven't been the same for me once Tracy left. She was so good at following up and responding to my questions. None of these other companies ever tried to rip $200 from an already losing sale on top of the cost of reslabbling and their credit card fees.

In any case, so many other, better choices...

The question was how they are on raw books. They get top dollar for their good stuff, without a doubt and grade that stuff spot on.

However, there is no excuse for selling a book as a VF+ and it is missing its MVS.

I would agree with this, However. My experience is that many places (including ComicConnect) don't seem to look at the insides much if at all, and don't do something as simple as count the pages. I generally buy lower grade books thank VF+, but even a VG or G should be complete, and I've had to return books with pages missing or coupons cut out from everyone from the big auction houses to well thought of dealers here (and they are well thought of by ME, too, don't get me wrong).

It just doesn't seem to be something that gets checked with any regularity, I feel. Don't know why either, first thing I do when I open a new purchase is count the pages, and it don't take that much time.

The loss was on high grade copies of Hulk#181 and DD#7. But like I mentioned, it wasn't so much the loss or the sales BS he dished out that bothered me, it was his unprofessional response when I asked for my remaining books back. Essentially, he didn't want to send the books back and wanted to charge me $200 for having already scanned the book, which I refused. When I finally received a cheque for the sold books, it was short because the buyer paid with a credit card apparently, and the 3% credit card fee comes out of my pot. When I inquired, he blamed me for not stipulating "no credit card". If he really was on my side, I think he would have mention this to me before hand... but whatever. Better to cut my losses and keep my distance. As well, he claimed my books arrived damaged and I was force to pay for reslabbing them. I suppose it's possible but to this day, that was the one and only time a recipient ever claimed that my slabs arrived damaged. Too many funky things about that whole experience just made me suspicious. Since this experience, I've spent a lot of money buying books and I'm happy that not a single penny went to ComicConnet.

So, what you're saying is that you did not bother to read CC's terms of sale link when you contracted their services to sell your books....and you blame CC for not explicitly telling you about the 3% CC fee?

You dropped the ball on that, there is no taking sides.

As far as CC wanting to be paid for their time because you changed your mind....they absolutely should have levied a (small) penalty against you for pulling your books, after you commited to a deal with CC.

Scanning books, data entry, log keeping and everything else that comes with dealing with consignors eats man hours, and nobody works for free.

Moving on, about the reslabbing of your damaged slabs...what were they?

Reholder fees or regrading?

Why do you suspect your slabs were not damaged?

I've run into significant overgrading on books I've bought raw off the Metro site. Can't remember winning a raw book in a CC auction.

Of course, any time you encounter a potentially high-dollar book for sale raw, it's always worth asking, "Why didn't they have this graded?"

Maybe there's an acceptable answer or maybe there's something about the book they -- could be any seller -- would rather you didn't know.

I would agree with this, However. My experience is that many places (including ComicConnect) don't seem to look at the insides much if at all, and don't do something as simple as count the pages. I generally buy lower grade books thank VF+, but even a VG or G should be complete, and I've had to return books with pages missing or coupons cut out from everyone from the big auction houses to well thought of dealers here (and they are well thought of by ME, too, don't get me wrong).

It just doesn't seem to be something that gets checked with any regularity, I feel. Don't know why either, first thing I do when I open a new purchase is count the pages, and it don't take that much time.

I agree with you about the missing pages. It's a head scratcher since the book is almost worthless with a page or centerfold missing. Dan from Showcase New England once told me that it wasn't worth the time to count pages on moderns and lower grade BA and SA - if the customer discovers a missing page he would simply send a refund. I'm sure other dealers do the same but I don't get it...

I agree with you about the missing pages. It's a head scratcher since the book is almost worthless with a page or centerfold missing. Dan from Showcase New England once told me that it wasn't worth the time to count pages on moderns and lower grade BA and SA - if the customer discovers a missing page he would simply send a refund. I'm sure other dealers do the same but I don't get it...

That's often what has happened with me. Heritage and ComicConnect have always wanted things shipped back, but I've had regular dealers just give me a refund and tell me to keep the book. I've even managed to sell them with missing pages disclosed for a few bucks, so I come out ahead, but I'd really rather have the complete book, since I'm a guy who doesn't do upgrading, once it's off my list, it's off my list.

I believe it.

If you're giving them a million dollars worth of inventory, I would expect nothing but top service. With that kind of leverage, you should even be able to negotiate a better rate. If I had boxes of high end books to sell, I would definitely feel safer dealing with a specialize auction house. Probably not ComicConnect due to my bad experience but one of the many, many others.

However, if you're a small time hobbyist like myself, don't expect much. In fact, after up selling me on an upcoming auction as being "huge"... they bumped my books because someone with more leverage wanted their same book in the auction that my book was scheduled for. This turned out to be a blessing, which ended up being the book that I asked to be returned and where they got upset and wanted to charge me $200 for having scanned it.

Regarding buying RAWs, I would avoid it. There are just so many other sources with easier to navigate web sites. Not to mention shows, stores and individual dealers who can be more flexible. Lately, I've been using MyComicShop. I'm not an “important” buyer but their attention to detail has been stellar. I use to use ComicLink a lot but they haven't been the same for me once Tracy left. She was so good at following up and responding to my questions. None of these other companies ever tried to rip $200 from an already losing sale on top of the cost of reslabbling and their credit card fees.

In any case, so many other, better choices...

I have a hard time buying raw books from any of these places honestly. It seems a lot of consignors with nice presenting covers and bad pages or back covers go through CC or C-Link and they get marked a grade on cover presentation. I have had to return several 6.5-7.0 golden age books with half the back cover missing or water damage on the interior, etc. I think HA does a little better job of giving these books fair grades. I would like to see a fc and bc scan and a centerfold pic to get a little clearer idea of what I am buying.

OG, I think the argument is that selective reporting doesn't represent the market accurately and that manipulates the market.

I may be getting caught up in what's going on with GPA, but I remembered it being an "all or nothing" proposition. It's the reason why ComicLink prices aren't recorded---because they wanted to be selective. In an effort to remain neutral, I thought GPA stayed away from anyone wishing to do that. Am I wrong?

In my mind, and I may be wrong, but Comic Connect is an extension of sorts with Metro. If you like Metro's raw grading, you should like CC's grading. In many cases they share and co-link the inventory--owners being the same and all (at least when I last knew).

As a seller, I agree with OG. As a buyer, I'm frustrated. Given the lack of transparency on slab sales it does make one wonder if OSPG is relevant if they have trouble sharing information/data. Rhetorical probably as OSPG has been losing favor for many years although still a good "general barometer".

No problem if your getting a slab book (thumbs u
And what about a non-slabbed book??

They've got a 10 day return policy. If you can't make out the grade online buy it and see for yourself. You can always return it if you disagree with their grading.