• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Dr Who Thread
3 3

1,471 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, Comicopolis said:

Don't worry boys, Lee Mack will save it.

:signfunny:

A line worthy of the man himself.

Ken Dodd wasn't that bad as it turned out. Although they missed a trick by not putting him in The Happiness Patrol. 

6 hours ago, AJD said:

For Australian viewers it's on ABC Channel 2 today at 5:55 PM (!) and on ABC 23 Tuesday at 6:25 PM (and probably on iView as well). Looking forward to it!

Sorry AJD. 'Spoilers' as River used to say, annoyingly.

Come back and tell us what you think. Seems the world's media love it. Even the ones that watched it. 

11 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I Live! said:

Sorry AJD. 'Spoilers' as River used to say, annoyingly.

Come back and tell us what you think. Seems the world's media love it. Even the ones that watched it. 

I really liked the new Doctor. I thought she did the 'continuity with change' thing brilliantly. Otherwise it was a pretty standard Dr Who offering.

Just now, AJD said:

I really liked the new Doctor. I thought she did the 'continuity with change' thing brilliantly. Otherwise it was a pretty standard Dr Who offering.

You seem to be in the majority looking at the reviews. Hopefully it improves. Time will tell!

Groan

12 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I Live! said:

You seem to be in the majority looking at the reviews. Hopefully it improves. Time will tell!

Groan

I just went back and read yours and other comments here. Lighten up boys! I've been along since grumpy Bill too, and I thought Jodie was a bit of a hoot.

Just now, AJD said:

I just went back and read yours and other comments here. Lighten up boys! I've been along since grumpy Bill too, and I thought Jodi was a bit of a hoot.

Lighten up? 

Lighten up! (Cranky Colin :mad:)

This is life and death man! 

Sorry, wo-man. 

:grin:

4 minutes ago, AJD said:

Jodi was a bit of a hoot.

Yes, even without the 'e', Jodie was actually great. 

Jodie Comer in Killing Eve that is. 

The worst thing about it was the that which has ruined most Who episodes over the years - a poorly written and thought out -script.

Science fiction should be asking important questions about the human condition (okay, Who isn't serious but it should be) and they missed a trick with this episode. It may have been a poor imitation of Predator but they could have explored what it means to be a hunter/hunted.

The Doctor: Why would a warrior species need to hunt a seven year old girl?

Predator rip off (with cool teeth on the face which make no logical sense) Why do humans hunt dear with rifles?

Biggest plus point was them filming it in Sheffield - though they missed a trick by not getting the original Human League to cover the theme tune.

The more you think about it after the more ridiculous the -script becomes.

If the alien has a short range teleport (how convenient) why does he/it climb the crane at the end?

How does the teenager with Dyspraxia manage to get up that crane without falling off?

When I saw the crane at the end I hoped it might be a homage to Quatermass and the Pit. Sadly it wasn't.

It wasn't the worst modern Who episode I've seen (In the Forest of the Night, Kill the Moon, Fear Her, Love & Monsters, etc) but it doesn't leave me particularly looking forward to the next one.

I thought JW did okay, hopefully she will grow into the role. I have no problem with the switch in gender for the character.

Three companions is too many, if they continue down that route.

Apparently, Bradley Walsh is 58 - he looked older than Peter Cushing in the episode.

19 minutes ago, Comicopolis said:

The worst thing about it was the that which has ruined most Who episodes over the years - a poorly written and thought out --script.

Science fiction should be asking important questions about the human condition (okay, Who isn't serious but it should be) and they missed a trick with this episode. It may have been a poor imitation of Predator but they could have explored what it means to be a hunter/hunted.

The Doctor: Why would a warrior species need to hunt a seven year old girl?

Predator rip off (with cool teeth on the face which make no logical sense) Why do humans hunt dear with rifles?

Biggest plus point was them filming it in Sheffield - though they missed a trick by not getting the original Human League to cover the theme tune.

The more you think about it after the more ridiculous the --script becomes.

If the alien has a short range teleport (how convenient) why does he/it climb the crane at the end?

How does the teenager with Dyspraxia manage to get up that crane without falling off?

When I saw the crane at the end I hoped it might be a homage to Quatermass and the Pit. Sadly it wasn't.

It wasn't the worst modern Who episode I've seen (In the Forest of the Night, Kill the Moon, Fear Her, Love & Monsters, etc) but it doesn't leave me particularly looking forward to the next one.

I thought JW did okay, hopefully she will grow into the role. I have no problem with the switch in gender for the character.

Three companions is too many, if they continue down that route.

Apparently, Bradley Walsh is 58 - he looked older than Peter Cushing in the episode.

Spot on . It's not about whether a woman can play the Doctor. My personal opinion is that the Doctor is a man and that would be my preference. Men and women are different. That's a personal preference. I think it could be done well with the right actress. Maybe a much older one. 

The problem is the story and -script. I mentioned Killing Eve earlier. Funnily enough, the creator of that show was in the running for the part. I saw her on Graeme Norton and thought she would be great at it. Look at the quality of the first Killing Eve episode. Look how quickly you can create a compelling narrative with believable characterisation in one hour. Something totally new, fresh and exciting. The people that made that show have flair and talent. 

I've looked around the Web today. People are saying the Who opener was exciting, fresh, relatable. Jodie was 'really funny'. When?

Why is it if I watch a show of a man walking into a square room and taking a dump, the following day I read others extolling the virtues of the show where the bloke paraglides into a circular room and places a vase of flowers in it. And they were so fresh and lovely looking. What does everyone see something different to the glaring, obvious, palpable facts.

Could it be because they are scared that any criticism would be seen (by definition of course on the current age) as a criticism of a female Doctor?

Male Doctor, female Doctor. Doesnt matter. It. Was. Rubbish. And the choice of female actor did not, in my opinion, nail it. Unless you mean the last nail in the shows coffin that is.  

58 minutes ago, Comicopolis said:

Because the production team managed to hire a crane. Hire crane first, work out how to fit it into the --script second.

Why didn't any of the 603 companions act in a way remotely realistic throughout the whole sorry mess? Why weren't any of them paralysed with fear? Why did the fat woman climb the crane to fight the alien spaghetti? So she could fall off and die. What was the time frame in between her dying and the grand son helping the zany Doctor get dressed?  

Who was the bloke who stole the spaceship? What was that all about? Why did he do it? How did he get it in the van without freezing his hands off?

Why wasn't anyone else on the train?  Why didn't the government launch defcon 5 when a smashed up train was discovered with a dead driver? 

Which police force does this girl work for that she travels alone in a car and can ring her boss because she's bored? What part of all that police interaction was even remotely true to life at the start? 

Where were UNIT? 

Why don't any of the Earthlings remember the last 95 alien invasions, especially that one when planes were stuck in the sky and Cybermen turned up. Again.

How did I know at the start that the 'strong woman' the boy was lamenting wasn't the Doctor, but his Nan? Because it was telegraphed. Bad writing often is. 

If Doctor Who is a kids show, none of this matters. But it isn't. Is it ?

Edited by Get Marwood & I Live!
Death to the Daleks! Again.

Spot on observations from both of you, as for a female Doctor I think that the BBC want to move on and as Marwood said drive another nail into the coffin. It is very clear from the last few years that the beeb have an agenda budgets delays the lot, the Doctor is male and to force the alien bit down our throats is sickening. These characters were created to be who they were and that's what defines them as male: Sherlock Holmes James Bond what next Cyril-patra or Rachel the third? The only PC I like is my personal computer.    

4 minutes ago, Comicopolis said:

The train thing was bothersome. I've ridden plenty of trains in and out of Sheffield and none of them were ever that empty.

And where was the ticket inspector?

This years budget went on hiring Chris Noth, no extras needed.

8 minutes ago, Comicopolis said:

The train thing was bothersome. I've ridden plenty of trains in and out of Sheffield and none of them were ever that empty.

And where was the ticket inspector?

In the lav, cowering. Like the companions should've been.

3 minutes ago, tv horror said:

This years budget went on hiring Chris Noth, no extras needed.

Yep.

• Woman Doctor - check
  • Black man - check
  • Asian woman - check
  • Mixed race couple - check
  • Northern dialects - check
  • Unnecessary US star to woo the US audience who don't need wooing. They love it for what it is - check
  • Gay woman - did that last time. But will likely do again
  • Lefty leaning dialogue / exposition - check
  • A good story - DELETE

49 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I Live! said:

Yep.

• Woman Doctor - check
  • Black man - check
  • Asian woman - check
  • Mixed race couple - check
  • Northern dialects - check
  • Unnecessary US star to woo the US audience who don't need wooing. They love it for what it is - check
  • Gay woman - did that last time. But will likely do again
  • Lefty leaning dialogue / exposition - check
  • A good story - DELETE

Life needs more Northern dialects, never mind TV shows.