• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Dr Who Thread
3 3

1,471 posts in this topic

My top Doctors.

old.

1. Tom Baker by a mile with old doctors.

2. Peter Davidson 

3. Jon Pertwee

new

1. David Tennant

2. Peter Capaldi

3. Christopher Eccleston (one season, but did the job to get me back into Doctor Who).

write in vote Matt Smith.

overall, I like the new doctors better than the old doctors!  :whatthe:

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

1 minute ago, Batman said:

Nah, I know what you mean. The new guys certainly put a lot into their roles. Especially Capaldi.

Reveal hidden contents

But not Eccleston.

He got me back though into Doctor Who. It really was a dead franchise by 2004. I remember watching it and being surprised it was one of the best reboots/revamps we had in a long time, Usually when something gets rebooted/revamped it pales in comparision compared to the original that made it famous.

So I probably have nostalgic memories of that season, just for the fact I was happy that it was back,plus it was actually good.

1 hour ago, Get Marwood & I said:

But do they have the right to make those special features hm

1640930330_doctordecisions(2).gif.7657b7f7137028a6a04746cf950849ac.gif

Cap.jpg.4d96fc4184ff18d612a513a08e237249.jpg

I thought Tom Baker was hilarious still obviously lusting after cute-as-a-button actress Harriet Philpin (rebel character Bettan) 30-years-later in the commentary.

You would have assumed she would have got an 8 minute documentary. lol 

52 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

He got me back though into Doctor Who. It really was a dead franchise by 2004. I remember watching it and being surprised it was one of the best reboots/revamps we had in a long time, Usually when something gets rebooted/revamped it pales in comparision compared to the original that made it famous.

So I probably have nostalgic memories of that season, just for the fact I was happy that it was back,plus it was actually good.

I was a SUPER fan from '81 to until around... '87.

When the new series came out I was extremely skeptical, to the point of ignoring it.

A couple boardies kept telling me I was missing the boat.  But, I persisted.

But, a year or so ago, I picked up a DVD copy of "Time of the Doctor" for $6 and I really enjoyed it.

So, I went back to start with Matt Smith's Doctor with "The Eleventh Hour" and I was hooked.

I should note whenever PBS ran reruns mostly from the Pertwee/Baker/Davison era on Channel 11, I would tune in still.  They would appear Saturday afternoons or nights, Sunday nights or even on a Thursday night.  You would be flipping through the dial and find "Inferno," "The Leisure Hive," "Kinda" or "Frontios."

After the Fall of '91, that was it for Doctor Who in New Hampshire. :( 

I have been a fan of Dr Who since the moment it started back in 1963 and can remember Hartnell regenerating into Troughton and the hate surrounding the change yes including myself. I could not imagine MY Doctor being replaced by a new comer no nope nada no way! Then I fell in love with Troughton he was now my Doctor then came Pertwee no way was I going to enjoy this upstart however he did have a brilliant Master Roger Delgado and I continued watching. Then the arrival of Tom Baker I had given up on the regenerations by now I just except each Doctor there after. Funny story about Tom Baker I met him at a book signing here in Belfast and he was very approachable and funny, so as he went to sign my book I said to him "You have a woman's hands!" at that he gave one of the loudest laughs you could hear, You need to watch the Blackadder series to get the joke, he was hysterical in the episode as the Sea captain.

I started watching it in '81.  Tom Baker's "Robot."

It was just starting on PBS (specifically Channel 2) and advertised for weeks, during This Old House and Nova.

It was running on Channel 11 (another PBS station,) but it was during the news hour, so we couldn't watch it.

On channel 2, it did something bizarre though for the first couple of years, it would just rewind right back to "Robot," after airing "Invasion of Time."  So, I would just eventually watch the Pertwee's on the other channel too, when they rewound. Plus, you could watch entire Pertwee shows on Saturday afternoon,

But one time, they just kept going right into "The Keys of Time" and so on, going right to the last Baker show, before rewinding back to "Robot.".  The other channel was airing Davisons by then.  It took a few years before they aired the Davisons.

So, that's how juggled the series at first.

7 hours ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

I enjoyed every episode of S1, particularly The Empty Child and The Doctor Dances. I just thought Ecclestone was a little wooden and his heart wasn't in it. Sort of "I've been in a film with Nicole Kidman, y'know" heart wasn't in it. But it was great to have the series back and he was better than his predecessor McGann ;) 

7 hours ago, tv horror said:

I have been a fan of Dr Who since the moment it started back in 1963 and can remember Hartnell regenerating into Troughton and the hate surrounding the change yes including myself. I could not imagine MY Doctor being replaced by a new comer no nope nada no way! Then I fell in love with Troughton he was now my Doctor then came Pertwee no way was I going to enjoy this upstart however he did have a brilliant Master Roger Delgado and I continued watching. Then the arrival of Tom Baker I had given up on the regenerations by now I just except each Doctor there after. Funny story about Tom Baker I met him at a book signing here in Belfast and he was very approachable and funny, so as he went to sign my book I said to him "You have a woman's hands!" at that he gave one of the loudest laughs you could hear, You need to watch the Blackadder series to get the joke, he was hysterical in the episode as the Sea captain.

You have a woman's post count! I'll wager that post count has never troubled the veterans of the seasoned c g seas! 

Rhubarb, rhubarb....

1 hour ago, Batman said:

I enjoyed every episode of S1, particularly The Empty Child and The Doctor Dances. I just thought Ecclestone was a little wooden and his heart wasn't in it. Sort of "I've been in a film with Nicole Kidman, y'know" heart wasn't in it. But it was great to have the series back and he was better than his predecessor McGann ;) 

+1

Often wonder how Marwood, sorry, Paul McGann would have done if:

A) he'd been given more time (don't say it)

B) he'd seen how it could be done. By that, I mean Tennent introduced the 'A' game. Total command of the role and screen. Brosnan said the same about Craig once - why didn't I do that? Eccleston implied similar sentiments once I believe. He didn't know what he could have done, until he saw Tennent do it.

Regrets,  I've had a few....

15 hours ago, NewEnglandGothic said:

Too bad "Stones of Blood" didn't get that kind of treatment. lol 

I did a Stones of Blood picture back as a lad! The missing bit of the page is the K9 I posted earlier, which was swiped for the front cover :headbang:

dw1.thumb.jpg.b201fb7b514674db5eedf088cef787c9.jpg  k9.jpg.6f0b8350c26a3e0bfe1586bea28abb1d.jpg

Edited by Get Marwood & I
Master!

7 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

You have a woman's post count! I'll wager that post count has never troubled the veterans of the seasoned c g seas! 

Rhubarb, rhubarb....

I know it’s absolutely nothing at all to do with Tom Baker here, but I can’t help thinking about the other scene where the sailor wants a story about Squirry the Squirrel.

Edited by Ken Aldred

5 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

I know it’s absolutely nothing at all to do with Tom Baker here, but I can’t help thinking about the other scene where the sailor wants a story about Squirry the Squirrel.

You have a woman's squirrel! I'll wager that squirrel has never felt the lash of wayward rigging, there broken free from its main brace!