• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Dr Who Thread
3 3

1,471 posts in this topic

10 hours ago, tv horror said:

By the way have you seen the photo of her posed with the Dalek?<3

:preach:

That brings back memories. Saw that back in the 70s when I was just a young lad.

This section of the thread needs some Peri now.

I don't mean the stuff you get at Nando's.

On 6/21/2018 at 2:12 PM, Number 6 said:

I just received my U.S. release of Tom Baker Season 1 (season 12) on blu-ray from Amazon yesterday. 

I wish I could give this my whole- hearted recommendation...but I can’t. 

Here’s the GOOD:

Picture quality - considering the source material I wasn’t expecting a huge jump in quality.  I’ve only watched Robot so far and overall it looks as good as the DVD release, a few instances of it looking slightly better. No surprises there. The more recent supplemental material looks great. 

Extras - unlike Spearhead From Space, this includes all the supplemental material from the DVDs plus some that were only available on VHS or are completely new altogether.  Some might be jaded about extras being a cheap gimmick to get you to re-buy the same material over, but I’m partial to Who extras. DW is one of the few shows that when I re-watch a story I also re-watch all the extras as well. So this is a real plus for me. 

Size - the case for the blu-ray is the same size as one of the DVD cases. I was originally planning on selling my DVDs to offset what I paid for the blu-ray. So 5 DVDs can be replaced with 1 blu-ray case, a real space-saver. 

Ok, now here’s the BAD:

The UK release of this has been delayed. It seems that there’s a new extra that will be included on the UK release that’s not on the US release called Doctor Who Times (not the same as Tomorrow’s Times featurette on the Face of Evil DVD) It’s a complation of clips from different UK shows during the initial run of this season.  It may not be of huge interest to US viewers but the estimated run time for it is just shy of 44 minutes, so a substantial extra. 

What’s more, the reason the reason this extra wasn’t included in the US release is because BCC had a pre-sale quota. Because the quota wasn’t met, the feature wasn’t included. 

That’s important because it ties in with the next issue - future releases. I was kind of expecting that they might jump to the 1st season of Davidson or Pertwee before getting back to Baker Season 2. But the upcoming releases are Pertwee Season 4 (season 10), Baker Season 7 (season 18) and Davidson Season 1 (season 19). Apparently, Baker Season 2 (season 13) isn’t even on the BBC’s release radar...and if the the US pre-sales on the above Season aren’t strong, there may not be a US release of the rest of the Baker/Hinchcliff era. So basically, the popular seasons are going to get held hostage to push up the sales of less popular ones. 

Also, some are reporting an audio issue on episode 1 of the Sontaran Experiment (disc 2). I haven’t watched that one yet, won’t be able to get to it until this weekend. 

I’d love to give this my full support but at $50 per and considering the above I’m going to definitely take a wait-and-see approach. Very disappointed with BCC. Definitely won’t be getting rid of my DVDs until I get a better idea where this is going. 

I can only say that I'm loving my Blu-ray copy! It's by far the best viewing option for fans who don't feel like paying over $100 or more per episode for the old DVD releases. I hope the BBC continues to put them out, and I'm more than willing and ready to part with my cash!

EDIT: Yes, I realize these are available for download, but they don't look as good...I don't guess it matters though. The old Doctor Whos are probably best viewed on an old and dying CRT set...or on aged VHS. There is a certain romanticism to that...I will allow it. :)

Edited by newshane

As I told my friend after we left the "Genesis of the Daleks" theatrical event a few weeks ago: "Now you can really tell how bad the paint-jobs are on the Daleks." lol

I still like having the best possible visuals and sound, however.

1 minute ago, newshane said:

As I told my friend after we left the "Genesis of the Daleks" theatrical event a few weeks ago: "Now you can really tell how bad the paint-jobs are on the Daleks." lol

I still like having the best possible visuals and sound, however.

How's the scene in the quarry. 

It always seemed way too grainy.

Just now, NewEnglandGothic said:

How's the scene in the quarry. 

It always seemed way too grainy.

Still grainy! Only so much can be done with bad source material.

On 2/5/2018 at 7:39 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

Nyssa....:luhv:

Image result for nyssa doctor who  gif  Image result for nyssa doctor who  gif  Image result for nyssa doctor who  gif  Image result for nyssa doctor who  gif

On 2/5/2018 at 7:35 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

Ahhh, Nyssa. 

Once she got out of that horrible red suit and into something a little less formal I promptly fell in love... :cloud9:

Image result for nyssa doctor who

?

21 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

This section of the thread needs some Peri now.

I don't mean the stuff you get at Nando's.

12e9e4db1eb5f2f515f6e59bf874d76b--peri-the-doctor.jpg

956864915_giphy(3).gif.729fc31f10e2822d33edb8ae25e42c5f.gif

Colin Baker: "Cooorrr. Please let me get a hot companion like leela" :wishluck:

"OK,  who do I get?"

ce60925e05dd22a4a5b717d4ab99d836.gif.0aab65043fc6598eeb8c297dbab3adf8.gif

Spoiler

tumblr_inline_nlulomaUM61r5pkwm.gif.ea41208279d259ad7f30a705c638a18f.gif

3 minutes ago, NewEnglandGothic said:

My father only watched the Colin Baker episodes because of Peri. lol 

Can't think why :D

1326084978_giphy(4).gif.3e3933509d68c8de3d5cbd041bb44ccb.gif