• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Dr Who Thread
3 3

1,471 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, OtherEric said:

I decline the opportunity to give them money for the same episodes a second time in general.  Although I will be buying the animated Web of Fear when that comes out, which will be the fifth time I buy Episode #1... Lost in Time, audiobook, iTunes for the whole serial, DVD for the serial, and now the version with the animated episode #3.

655B7B5B-A7EA-43A9-8344-39ED682C2DFC.jpeg

1AF21A11-9320-437D-8629-2FE56023A4C8.jpeg

Honestly, if my Doctor Who DVD collection was as extensive as yours, I probably wouldn’t bother either 

I appreciate the digital restoration work done for the Blu-ray releases, but the actual improvement in picture quality is minimal.  Some of the new special features are nice too, but again, probably not enough to justify upgrading your collection. You could most likely watch those by checking out the Blu-ray from you library if/when they get them. 

I went ahead and started getting the Blu-rays because I only had the complete Hinchcliffe seasons and a couple of Baker stories outside of that era, a well as a couple of Pertwee stories.  Plus, the Blu-rays are a huge space-saver compared to the DVDs and that was important to me. 

Since I’m not heavily invested in Pertwee DVDs I may be tempted to get the entire seasons on Blu-ray when the prices drop.  

16 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

Honestly, if my Doctor Who DVD collection was as extensive as yours, I probably wouldn’t bother either 

I appreciate the digital restoration work done for the Blu-ray releases, but the actual improvement in picture quality is minimal.  Some of the new special features are nice too, but again, probably not enough to justify upgrading your collection. You could most likely watch those by checking out the Blu-ray from you library if/when they get them. 

I went ahead and started getting the Blu-rays because I only had the complete Hinchcliffe seasons and a couple of Baker stories outside of that era, a well as a couple of Pertwee stories.  Plus, the Blu-rays are a huge space-saver compared to the DVDs and that was important to me. 

Since I’m not heavily invested in Pertwee DVDs I may be tempted to get the entire seasons on Blu-ray when the prices drop.  

The one Pertwee on Blu-Ray I actually considered was Spearhead From Space, since that was made on film so they could actually do a hi def version of it.  And I'm one of the crazy people who got everything that existed on DVD over the course of about a decade, if I didn't have it already the season sets would be much easier to store than that super full shelf you see there.  Besides, there are at least a few discs that have special features that won't turn back up for one reason or another.

I'm just happy that there is a meaningful chunk of Troughton, my favorite Doctor, there now.  I remember all too well when all that was even possible were 8 serials, two of those incomplete, and Lost in Time.  I just doubt we'll ever get any more episodes back, but the animations are miles better than nothing.

On 3/13/2021 at 10:36 PM, Number 6 said:

I can't stand them improving the effects.  But, I love the special features.  I've only collected the Hincliffe and his predecessor's era, and all the Modern stuff.

Key Doctor Who episode to have for the Modern era, "Brain of Mobius."

Edited by NewEnglandGothic

Can't wait until these come out in October!

DSC03933.thumb.jpg.5110308c8677cfb5c93e200e3ade0f44.jpg

Yeah, I also collect Christmas ornaments.

Even, if you don't want a tree, they could be hung from lamps on your desk or the mirror in your car. hm 

I had a Frozen-themed tree last year.

IMG_4151.thumb.jpg.ae9875feea35bc73b2512e3c077e73c3.jpg

IMG_4154.thumb.jpg.222994ffc53cd09731da5ff08b8fab87.jpg

IMG_4123.thumb.jpg.5fa9d8a82374fa928c2c21a7b2baa4ae.jpg

IMG_4155.thumb.jpg.ce13707e9489dfffda4c6cb0f73518e4.jpg

OK, I'll let it go.

Now, bring on the Louise Jameson "Leela" character Hallmark! :sumo: 

Edited by NewEnglandGothic

Ugh - I just feel trapped into watching the last season so that I can say I watched every season since the Baker seasons.  When did Dr Who turn into an after school special??  I just finished the episode where space monsters are infecting people because of all the plastic floating in the oceans.  I can't wait until the next episode where they tell us about the perils of high blood pressure!

1 hour ago, 1Cool said:

Ugh - I just feel trapped into watching the last season so that I can say I watched every season since the Baker seasons.  When did Dr Who turn into an after school special??  I just finished the episode where space monsters are infecting people because of all the plastic floating in the oceans.  I can't wait until the next episode where they tell us about the perils of high blood pressure!

I got through about 4 Jodie episodes after loving 90% of New Who, and just could not go on.  You have either more dedication or less sanity than I do.

1 hour ago, 1Cool said:

Just wait until you see them retcon the Doctor's backstory. 

Jesus wept. 

1 hour ago, NewEnglandGothic said:

But, "Brain of Mobius" alluded to the Doctor's backstory, over four decades ago. :baiting:

OMG, I'm a Doctor Who purist. :ohnoez:

Except, 

Spoiler

The Doctor isn't a Time Lord according to the retcon, and they took the power of regeneration from experimenting on 'em.

The BBC has finally confirmed one of the worst kept secrets in television — Jodie Whittaker and showrunner Chris Chibnall are quitting Doctor Who.

The duo have been in charge of the Tardis since 2017 and will be leaving BBC Studios’ iconic sci-fi franchise next year. Before they exit, they will bring fans Season 13 this fall and three feature-length specials in 2022, the last of which will mark the end of the Thirteenth Doctor.

Whittaker will be remembered as the first woman to play the Time Lord, bringing warmth and comedy to the role. Her departure has long been speculated and is in line with her predecessors, including David Tennant and Matt Smith, who also completed three seasons before moving on to other projects.

Whittaker was cast by Chibnall, who stepped into Steven Moffat’s shoes as Doctor Who’s showrunner four years ago. He also brought in Tosin Cole (Ryan), Mandip Gill (Yaz), and Bradley Walsh (Graham), as well as casting Sacha Dhawan as The Master and Jo Martin as the Fugitive Doctor.

On 7/29/2021 at 11:09 AM, D84 said:

giphy-2.gif.ecadaef74cf96a1c380eaf57ed33e2a4.gif

:roflmao:

I had read in here a few times the displeasure with the actress. But I think also with the showrunner for the story choices.

Hopefully this leads to better times.

On 7/29/2021 at 10:30 AM, Bosco685 said:

:roflmao:

I had read in here a few times the displeasure with the actress. But I think also with the showrunner for the story choices.

Hopefully this leads to better times.

The stories were horrid. You can't blame the actress for that.

On 7/29/2021 at 11:37 AM, D84 said:

The stories were horrid. You can't blame the actress for that.

With the rollout of HBO Max I started watching all the early Doctor Who episodes. For the most part they have been really good.

So to read the later season(s) became disappointing was a bummer.

On 7/29/2021 at 11:17 AM, Bosco685 said:

Doctor_Who_HBO.thumb.PNG.2e5428932ce04220712ab2756670737c.PNG

I'm still in Season 2 on EP 11. Or what some would term 'the glory days'.

It's solid though the end of season 5. Then it's iffy. Once Capaldi takes over the writing takes a sharp drop. Honestly, I thought with Whitaker's Doctor,  the writing couldn't get worse. They proved me wrong very quickly.

I didn't quite get through Capaldi's run. I did check out a couple of Whittaker first season. 

Capaldi is excellent, but the writing let him down. I also thought Whittaker was good, but stuck in some blah stories. Both deserved better from the show I think. 

Honestly, all the doctors have been very good. Problems with the show are almost never the star's fault.