• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Dr Who Thread
3 3

1,471 posts in this topic

On 11/14/2021 at 11:02 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

That was a great story - one of the best uses of historical characters, the cleverest 'showing someone their future' set ups, and one of the most emotional scenes too. Classy.  

To include that painting that gets passed from character to character until the Doctor finally gets it.

And seeing Winston Churchill as an off-and-on supporting character communicating through the ages - wild!

On 11/14/2021 at 4:05 PM, Bosco685 said:

To include that painting that gets passed from character to character until the Doctor finally gets it.

And seeing Winston Churchill as an off-and-on supporting character communicating through the ages - wild!

At its best, the show is just unbeatable, its possibilities endless. You can forgive all the duffers if the characters resonate, it has humour, heart and wit. The episodes that soar stay with you. 

On 11/14/2021 at 2:02 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

Shows you how bad it's got. New Who on BBC1 right now, and I'm watching a repeat of Murder She Wrote :eek:

With Russel T Davis coming back, and Bad Wolf producing as opposed to the BBC, I will be curious where it goes.

On 11/14/2021 at 3:42 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

The second comment in today's Times supplement made me laugh Ken (Robin Dickson):

If only Bishop's acting matched his skill with a wok.

On 11/14/2021 at 9:08 PM, drotto said:

With Russel T Davis coming back, and Bad Wolf producing as opposed to the BBC, I will be curious where it goes.

Somewhere good, hopefully :wishluck:

On 11/14/2021 at 9:48 PM, Ken Aldred said:

If only Bishop's acting matched his skill with a wok.

I dread to think what you mean Ken. Is it the same wok that Chibnall used to cook the whole dogs dinner up in?

On 11/14/2021 at 10:35 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

I dread to think what you mean Ken. Is it the same wok that Chibnall used to cook the whole dogs dinner up in?

Sure you know I mean last week's stir-fried Sontaran episode.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 11/14/2021 at 10:40 PM, Ken Aldred said:

Sure you know I mean last week's Sontaran episode.

I didn't watch it. Tried the first one, gave up.

On 11/14/2021 at 5:42 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

I didn't watch it. Tried the first one, gave up.

I had lost interest about 1/2 way into the 1st Jodi season.  I found out about the timeless child and it killed the show for me.

On 11/14/2021 at 11:18 PM, drotto said:

I had lost interest about 1/2 way into the 1st Jodi season.  I found out about the timeless child and it killed the show for me.

Yes. I look forward to the day when Doctor Who returns. Another year or so of the imposters and then Who knows what might happen....

On 11/14/2021 at 6:21 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

Yes. I look forward to the day when Doctor Who returns. Another year or so of the imposters and then Who knows what might happen....

I have no idea how you undo the damage that has been done to the mythology however.

On 11/14/2021 at 11:51 PM, drotto said:

I have no idea how you undo the damage that has been done to the mythology however.

I made a half decent suggestion involving Capaldi, a terrible dream and cheese earlier. They could try that.

If he chooses to, I'm sure Russell will rustle something up. Time can be rewritten, don't forget.

On 11/14/2021 at 3:42 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

The second comment in today's Times supplement made me laugh Ken (Robin Dickson):

Scan2.jpg.2d59871fea3023fca72225e1300843c6.jpg

Scan.jpg.3d3e83bb365d8f2038d0ef7cd5b51bd2.jpg

The lack of support for Capaldi here - and everywhere else it seems - has me constantly mystified though, I have to say. 

Although I thought Capaldi made a great Doctor, his stories were not great.  I can't think of any that I would enjoy watching a 2nd time whereas I can think of many Tennant and Smith ones that were amazing.

On 11/15/2021 at 3:18 PM, Max Carnage said:

Although I thought Capaldi made a great Doctor, his stories were not great.  I can't think of any that I would enjoy watching a 2nd time whereas I can think of many Tennant and Smith ones that were amazing.

Really?

Deep Breath, Listen, Mummy on the Orient Express, Magician's Apprentice, Witch's Familiar, Heaven Sent, Hell Bent, Pilot, Twice Upon a Time, The Return of Doctor Mysterio. 

On 11/15/2021 at 4:09 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

Really?

Deep Breath, Listen, Mummy on the Orient Express, Magician's Apprentice, Witch's Familiar, Heaven Sent, Hell Bent, Pilot, Twice Upon a Time, The Return of Doctor Mysterio. 

Not for me - each to there own ;)

My favorite episodes for each Doctor ( 2005- ):

Eccleston - Empty Child / Doctor Dances

Tennant -Blink ( of course )

Smith - The Doctor's Wife ( Vincent and the Doctor a close 2nd )

Capaldi - Flatline

Whittaker - Currently "War of the Sontarans" but this depends on where this goes.  Not liked any of Whittaker's really but this one has the most potential.

On 11/15/2021 at 11:09 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

Really?

I think his era suffered from very inconsistent writing.  There were some good stories there, but maybe 6 or 7 were truly great.  The biggest factor was Capaldi is such a great actor that brought so much love and enthusiasm to the role, he single handedly elevated mediocre to bad episodes to be enjoyable.  Under most other actors, the weakness of the writing would have been even more obvious.

His doctor would have been one of the best, if he was even given a little more to work with.

On 11/15/2021 at 11:35 AM, Max Carnage said:

My favorite episodes for each Doctor ( 2005- ):

Eccleston - Empty Child / Doctor Dances

Tennant -Blink ( of course )

Smith - The Doctor's Wife ( Vincent and the Doctor a close 2nd )

Capaldi - Flatline

Whittaker - Currently "War of the Sontarans" but this depends on where this goes.  Not liked any of Whittaker's really but this one has the most potential.

Empty Child - is that the one with the kid in a gas mask saying "Are you my mummy?"  Spooky stuff.  I really would have a tough time picking a Whittaker episode that was above meh but my wife really like the Parks episode. 

Capaldi had flashes of great but as a whole his episodes where just too choppy and Dr Who is best when it's pretty simple and kind of spooky.  I also wasn't fond of his side kick expect she did look great in a short skirt.