• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Dr Who Thread
3 3

1,471 posts in this topic

I've really enjoyed the HBO Max availability of Seasons One through Twelve, and am up to Season Five now.

The transition from David Tennant to Matt Smith was shift for me I was not ready for. But the latter grows on me as I watch each follow-on episode.

On 10/14/2021 at 3:59 PM, Ken Aldred said:

At least Davies is back in charge now.

We can at least be hopeful. Would a Bobby Ewing style removal of the last incarnation be too much to hope for do you think? Straight back to Capaldi, letting go, and straight into the new one with some witty exclamation as to how bad dreams can be if you eat cheese before regenerating or something. 

On 10/14/2021 at 4:23 PM, Bosco685 said:

I've really enjoyed the HBO Max availability of Seasons One through Twelve, and am up to Season Five now.

The transition from David Tennant to Matt Smith was shift for me I was not ready for. But the latter grows on me as I watch each follow-on episode.

He has a great physicality to his performance I think and, without being unkind, an unfinished look to his face which suits a being prone to constant regeneration. I was nervous at first too. Slowly but surely though, he won me over. I do look at that young man and see the older man within, revelling in the vigour of his rejuvenated body. 

On 10/14/2021 at 2:28 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

He has a great physicality to his performance I think and, without being unkind, an unfinished look to his face which suits a being prone to constant regeneration. I was nervous at first too. Slowly but surely though, he won me over. I do look at that young man and see the older man within, revelling in the vigour of his rejuvenated body. 

Matt Smith was fantastic as Prince Andrew in The Crown. The guy you loved to dislike but at the same time couldn't help but like him.

So I can see early on where he got that acting charm from.

On 10/14/2021 at 7:39 PM, Bosco685 said:

Matt Smith was fantastic as Prince Andrew in The Crown. The guy you loved to dislike but at the same time couldn't help but like him.

So I can see early on where he got that acting charm from.

Philip!

While Whittaker will soon be ending her three-season stint on Doctor Who, according to comments from Bishop and Gill, the two actors could well remain as companions for the new Fourteenth Doctor. The two Brits, who play the characters Yaz and Dan, suggested in the interview with The Radio Times that they are open to working with a new Doctor should the opportunity arise, but don't know if it's possible. The pair are both excited about the show's future under Russell T. Davies, who first revived the show in 2005.

• Bishop: “I think the official line is you say you don’t know, but I genuinely don’t know… But also, if someone phones and says Dan Lewis has got a place with the new Doctor, you think… it’s a conversation to be had, isn’t it?”
  • Gill: “Never say never ... Everyone’s excited about Russell. For me, it’s so exciting and a relief to know it’s going on in safe hands. When I started, I didn’t realise how significant it was taking over from other people, but now it’s happening to me.”

On 7/29/2021 at 1:04 PM, Crimebuster said:

I didn't quite get through Capaldi's run. I did check out a couple of Whittaker first season. 

Capaldi is excellent, but the writing let him down. I also thought Whittaker was good, but stuck in some blah stories. Both deserved better from the show I think. 

Honestly, all the doctors have been very good. Problems with the show are almost never the star's fault. 

I honestly feel that if Capaldi had been paired with RTD and competent writers, the twelfth Dr would rival the 10th as one of the best.

Part of me weeps that this show may be beyond saving at this point.  I am glade RTD is back, but feel like they gave him the Titanic to captian.  The ship has already hit an iceberg, and for added out of time period wackiness, a torpedo is heading for the ship.  The deing people screaming, Captian can you still save the ship?

Well, I gave it a go, and all the things that I think are out of place are still very much in evidence and, as a result, I still can't see Doctor Who anywhere in this incarnation. The main villain acted well, albeit I found some of his scenes were too graphically nasty for this show.  That seems to be a Chibnall thing, a nastiness that is more suited to a different show. Not scary - nasty. The Dog had promise and the Sontarans were good. But the lead was her usual self. Chibnall can't seem to write the part of the Doctor. The dialogue is pedestrian and she had nothing of interest to say, as is the norm for this incarnation. Always the questions, always the frantic rushing around. Does she every pause for a moment? Nothing that he writes for her seems otherworldly. Just made up space sounding stuff like "it's coated in flux blah blah" is used to separate her from those around her. She's an underwhelming actress who seems lost in it all. Capaldi could anchor a bad episode and make it watchable. Whittaker is the weakest link in her own show. It's the perfect storm, alas, of a limited actress reading the lines of a limited scriptwriter. 

I found the background music annoying, again, if that helps anyone. And I felt like Chibnall wrote this story a few minutes after binge watching Star Wars films and Independence Day. In the same way that the nasty Cyberman was reminiscent of the Borg, the main villainous chap here was a bit too Palpatiney for it not to be obvious. And, another constant Chibnall thing it seems, a history is hinted at that the Doctor knows nothing about. 

My Mum text me "They've thrown everything but the kitchen sink at it". I replied "Yes. And missed". I know it's bad form to laugh at your own jokes, but I found that funnier than anything in the show. 

BBC Has Lost Creative Control Of Doctor Who For Season 14 & Beyond

The BBC has lost control of creative control of Doctor Who from season 14 onwards. Radical changes are in store for the BBC's flagship science-fiction TV series; current showrunner, Chris Chibnall, is departing after season 13 and next year's specials, along with Thirteenth Doctor, Jodie Whittaker. Chibnall will be replaced by returning showrunner Russell T. Davies, the man who relaunched Doctor Who so successfully back in 2005.

Chibnall has consistently argued the most important changes will happen behind-the-scenes. In his view, Doctor Who needs to reinvent itself in the age of Disney+, competing with the likes of Marvel and Lucasfilm. The only possible solution lay in a co-production deal, with a partner co-financing in return for certain benefits, such as some distribution rights or some element of creative say. A good example was The Night Manager, which reportedly cost £3 million per episode at a time when UK broadcaster budgets for primetime dramas rarely exceed £700-800,000 an hour. In the case of Doctor Who, the BBC has partnered with Bad Wolf, a production firm based in Wales run by two former producers who worked with Davies on the 2005 relaunch. There have been reports Bad Wolf is soon to be acquired by Sony, following a £60 million deal.

Just watched the first episode of Flux on BBC iPlayer.

After excising the Star Wars, Mass Effect, Guardians of the Galaxy, Hellraiser, Crisis on Infinite Earths and Red Skull plagiarism, little originality in sight.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 11/6/2021 at 1:50 PM, Ken Aldred said:

Just watched the first episode of Flux on BBC iPlayer.

After excising the Star Wars, Mass Effect, Guardians of the Galaxy, Hellraiser, Crisis on Infinite Earths and Red Skull plagiarism, little originality in sight.

The second comment in today's Times supplement made me laugh Ken (Robin Dickson):

Scan2.jpg.2d59871fea3023fca72225e1300843c6.jpg

Scan.jpg.3d3e83bb365d8f2038d0ef7cd5b51bd2.jpg

The lack of support for Capaldi here - and everywhere else it seems - has me constantly mystified though, I have to say. 

On 11/14/2021 at 10:42 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

The second comment in today's Times supplement made me laugh Ken (Robin Dickson):

Scan2.jpg.2d59871fea3023fca72225e1300843c6.jpg

Scan.jpg.3d3e83bb365d8f2038d0ef7cd5b51bd2.jpg

The lack of support for Capaldi here - and everywhere else it seems - has me constantly mystified though, I have to say. 

Oddly enough, I just finished the Vincent Van Gogh episodes with Matt Smith. That was really good. Especially seeing all the more troublesome alien races join forces to secure the Doctor.

On 11/14/2021 at 3:59 PM, Bosco685 said:

Oddly enough, I just finished the Vincent Van Gogh episodes with Matt Smith. That was really good. Especially seeing all the more troublesome alien races join forces to secure the Doctor.

That was a great story - one of the best uses of historical characters, the cleverest 'showing someone their future' set ups, and one of the most emotional scenes too. Classy.