• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sketches in Hardcovers - Anyone else collect these?

89 posts in this topic

More accurate to say would be that I have collected sketches with books around them! Sometimes people won't sketch or do a con commission but will do something in a hardcover if you buy it. Here are some of mine.

CnP87QHWEAA1Pm-.jpg

CnP83KgWYAAT1IJ.jpgCnP83LgWgAEvgXK.jpgCnP80UsWAAECWVA.jpgCnP80W2WEAAkSp3.jpgCnP80YcWYAA9b-z.jpgCnP80eHWcAA60Ih.jpgCnP8yADXgAAasPe.jpgCnP8yADWIAAhm2K.jpgCnP8yAFW8AEIbK3.jpgCnP8yAEXEAEhWva.jpg

I couldn't find the Eric Shanower one I wanted to post in the first place! Eddie Campbell, too many books to look through (read all his personal stories, they are great!) That Thatcher/Missy one was done over two appearances. Mike Mignola and I talked for quite a while and he eventually agreed to do a Dr. Strange headksetch if I could find a HC Art of Hellboy. There was only a sc in the room so he said okay. Then as soon as pen hit paper he went on autopilot and drew Hellboy instead of Doc! Good problem to have.

Edited by Bird

Trinity

Sketched by Matt Wagner

IMG_6005.jpg

IMG_6007.jpg

Book of Witchcraft

HB sketch by Mignola

IMG_6008.jpg

IMG_6010.jpg

Jeff Smith, Matt Wagner and Mignola? A man after my own heart! Great stuff!

It's not an official publication, but I have sketches from Graham Nolan and Chuck Dixon in my custom Bane hardcover.

IMG_5305_zps4aispiwx.jpg

IMG_4774_zpsjxavnear.jpg

IMG_4773_zps4fpt3psr.jpg

LOVE custom bound books, need to get on that train myself at some point. This is really awesome!

More accurate to say would be that I have collected sketches with books around them! Sometimes people won't sketch or do a con commission but will do something in a hardcover if you buy it. Here are some of mine.

I couldn't find the Eric Shanower one I wanted to post in the first place! Eddie Campbell, too many books to look through (read all his personal stories, they are great!) That Thatcher/Missy one was done over two appearances. Mike Mignola and I talked for quite a while and he eventually agreed to do a Dr. Strange headksetch if I could find a HC Art of Hellboy. There was only a sc in the room so he said okay. Then as soon as pen hit paper he went on autopilot and drew Hellboy instead of Doc! Good problem to have.

Great collection, and hilarious story about Mike. Think about how many times he's drawn that HB head!

I love getting sketches on the inside of Hardcovers, below is a link to my CAF galleries (over 20 different ones featuring sketches in hardcovers)

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=25233

Here are some of my favorites

Wow you are not messing around! That's some terrific stuff you have. Amazing collection.

Are your chances of getting a sketch a lot higher if you bring the artist one of their HC books?

Your chances are even better if you buy it from them.

It really depends on their mood, the size of the line, and if they have any other prior obligations/the speed that they can sketch.

CnP8yADWIAAhm2K.jpg .

I love that Deadman sketch - simple but well designed

Innit!?! I was looking at it when I uploaded it and admiring it as well. Joe Quinones did me a solid by drawing his tiny sketch first as it quietly puts pressure on subsequent artists!

Generally people who get sketches in books and also have them personalized/dedicated are the ones artists usually identify as fans who have bought their material and are less prone to be one of those "flippers" who are looking for adding value to something they plan to sell.

So, if you're planning to sell a book, a sketch does add value. However, if you're looking to sell a sketch, having it in a book may be less desirable than having it on a standard clean piece of paper.

I like sketches in books, but they're harder to reference and display since they are isolated and individual... but that's what CAF is for, to scan or take photos of the pieces and create a gallery to look at.

I have one book where I had multiple artists draw on the inside pages or autograph the book with personalized inscriptions, so it becomes an epic masterpiece for me, all consolidated, to remember the various events the book has traveled with me to.