• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Unpopular Golden Age Opinions Thread!
9 9

628 posts in this topic

I’ll add my unpopular GA opinion...

Though most PCH fans here love and covet Horrific 3, the cover does nothing for me. Totally disregarding the fact that it is a blown up stat from War Fury 1 with the blood stain flipped around, the cover lacks any flair or design IMO. No background to tie it in to any scene or mood. Just a head floating on a green cover.  

A much better Heck effort in that run is issue 7 with the angled view of the guillotine, the descending blade with the moon glaring down. The look of horror on the face makes sense now with these added elements.

1 hour ago, tabcom said:

IMUGAO (In My Unpopular Goldenage Opinion), The Price Guide is a very resourceful tool in determining purchasing prices in some cases. 

I've slowed right down on buying ECs in the past couple of years, but it was almost uncannily accurate for most books when I was active. On the other hand, my Disney collection was purchased at about 50-60% of guide.

On 7/17/2019 at 10:34 PM, thunsicker said:

I must say, this is one of my favorite threads in gold.  Some of them I actually agree with.  Some are preposterous.

Some are both!

On 7/19/2019 at 8:50 AM, AJD said:

I've slowed right down on buying ECs in the past couple of years, but it was almost uncannily accurate for most books when I was active. On the other hand, my Disney collection was purchased at about 50-60% of guide.

Yeah he and his advisors were big Barks fans and probably goosed the prices of those books above where the market was, even pre-eBay. Post eBay, mid-grade copies of '50s issues of WDC&S were probably worth 10% of whatever he was listing them for. 

On 9/7/2022 at 5:21 PM, sagii said:

@Funnybooks

Nope! :D

Totally about faced on that one! (and happy)

I read the thread today for the first time and after catching up, I was wondering if anyone may have changed their minds over time?

I never understood the beauty of Schomburg Timely until recently. I'm sure I would have said that " I don't understand Schomburg Timely "  5 years ago and I would be eating my words today.

Edited by Funnybooks

Unpopular opinion:

Detective Comics 40 is not the first Joker cover. Though they used a variation of the page from "The Joker Returns" in Batman 1, it was recolored to not look like The Joker.

From what I've heard, the story was supposed to be in Detective Comics 40, but was moved to Batman 1 at the last minute.

My speculation is they didn't have time to do a new cover and changed the coloring.

So if the intention was to take the image and alter the colors, so it doesn't look like the Joker, why is it a Joker cover, much less the first Joker cover?

On 9/7/2022 at 2:49 PM, D84 said:

Unpopular opinion:

Detective Comics 40 is not the first Joker cover. Though they used a variation of the page from "The Joker Returns" in Batman 1, it was recolored to not look like The Joker.

From what I've heard, the story was supposed to be in Detective Comics 40, but was moved to Batman 1 at the last minute.

My speculation is they didn't have time to do a new cover and changed the coloring.

So if the intention was to take the image and alter the colors, so it doesn't look like the Joker, why is it a Joker cover, much less the first Joker cover?

Agreed. I could see why a Joker cover collector might want it as it was clearly meant to be a Joker cover when drawn, but it definitely wasn't meant to be one when published. It's kind of like MM #44, Red Skull cover, or nazi with a red skull and Beagle Boys mask?

On 7/18/2019 at 6:02 PM, szav said:

I prefer the Schomburg covers where the women don't look like... err, how can I say this delicately in this ultra PC modern world we live in...I greatly prefer the Schomburg covers where the women look a lot less like the "Lady" on the cover of Terrific #5.

As good as he was, my unpopular opinion is that his work was often way too busy, too cluttered at times. Suspense 3 excluded, of course. Hard to remember which cover was which, they all kinda blend together. His airbrush covers on the other hand.....

Edited by The Black Hand ®

On 9/7/2022 at 5:49 PM, D84 said:

Unpopular opinion:

Is that an unpopular opinion? I've never considered it a Joker cover.

On 9/7/2022 at 9:52 PM, The Black Hand ® said:

As good as he was, my unpopular opinion is that his work was often way too busy, too cluttered at times. Suspense 3 excluded, of course. Hard to remember which cover was which, they all kinda blend together. His airbrush covers on the other hand.....

Suspense 3 wouldn't even make my list of top 10 Schomburg covers, but it's above average. I like his early covers for Timely best.

On 9/7/2022 at 6:52 PM, The Black Hand ® said:

If you like your Schomburg covers less busy, you'd probably prefer his work for Nedor. 

On 9/7/2022 at 2:18 PM, Funnybooks said:

:bump:

Still feel the same years later?

For the most part, but I'm not going all the way back to 2016 (page 12) and touch those smoldering coals without fire resistant gloves even though everything I stated was based on historically verifiable facts.

Note: I don't recall anyone contesting my views, but I didn't get any "likes" either. The only concession I'll make is that my Red Raven was sold in the interim and I'm a bit more focused on Schomburg's creative output.  :headbang:

PS: I do miss that little "hide under a rock" icon that's been dropped from the board emojis. xD

:cheers:

Edited by Cat-Man_America
Ale added!