• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2016 SDCC Report

372 posts in this topic

Excellent con report, Chuck! I felt like I was actually there. It convinced me to sign up for an ID to try and attend next year so add 1 more person for everyone to compete with on ticket purchases, yay. Blame Chuck for an awesome con report.

As a SDCC never-been I have some questions for all you recent attendees:

Were all the comic vendors in the main hall?

How long did you have to wait in line to get into the main hall?

What time did/should you get in line to enter the main hall?

Is it the same wait each day or are some days better/shorter waits?

I realize this is becoming less of a comic oriented show but how many actual comic vendors selling actual comics were there?

a. About as many at a local holiday inn show (5-10)

b. About the same as a 2nd market Wizard World show (not Chicago) (10-20)

c. On par with some of the great shows (WW Chicago, Baltimore, Heroes, NYCC)

d. a or b but with much higher caliber of selection, hard to find comics, more keys.

Were the prices on comic keys, high grade, and hard to find items insanely high or were there deals to be had; on the final 2 days?

Is it possible to do the main hall in 1 day if hunting for comics, sigs/commissions and booth browsing (non-comics)?

The main reason I'd go outside of comics is to meet and get sigs/commissioned pieces from artists/creators who rarely visit the east coast shows. What are the lines/waits for the popular artist/creators?

Inquiring mind wants to know.

Thanks!

All the comic dealers are in the main hall.

There is a queue to get into the main hall, but most people figure out after their first year that there's no reason to wait in there. Go have a nice breakfast outside the convention center and show up at the front door at or after 9:30 and you're good to go.

As for dealers, I would say it matches other big cons in regards to national dealers, but probably doesn't have as many local dealers as some of the other shows that you mentioned. Trying to put a quick list together, I came up with 25 dealers, but there are at least a dozen that I walked by without knowing who they were (lousy marketing, or not a great selection on their wall).

Prices were pretty high this year, some dealers worse than others. Some you can bargain with, some you can't.

Artists Alley at SDCC is huge. If I were you, I'd set aside a day there, a day for comics shopping, and a day for browsing the rest of the hall, which is enormous.

THEN... we're passing by the Heavy Metal booth and who do we see but Grant Morrison! Only 20 people in line, it seemed like an impromptu signing, so we jumped right in.

Me: Grant! Love your work, man! Ya know, one of my favorites still is that Vertigo one shot 'Kill Your Boyfriend', you did with Phillip Bond.

Grant: Oh yeah, oh yeah.

Me: I love Phillip's stuff, too. You need to give him some more work!

Grant: What's he doing these days?

Me: Besides selling me original art, not enough. that's what I'm saying.. give him a call!

Grant: (chuckling) Ok.ok.

IMG_1398_zpsapjtrwzv.jpg

IMG_1400_zpsphopcjvz.jpg

Ron English, cool. Most people probably go, "Who?".

Talked to Charles Burns' literary agent.. he has a collected edition of his three book trilogy coming out and they had these to pass out....

IMG_1397_zpsebot7int.jpg

What's this 3 book collected edition? Link or more info. please?

Due out 10/5/16

CHARLES BURNS LAST LOOK GN

PANTHEON BOOKS

(W/A/CA) Charles Burns

A true graphic milestone: the epic trilogy that began with X'ed Out, continued in The Hive, and concluded in Sugar Skull, now in a single volume. The long strange trip of Doug in all its mind-bending, heartbreaking totality. The fragments of the past collide with the reality of the present, nightmarish dreams evolve into an even more dreadful reality, and when you finally find out where all of this has been going, and what it means. It will make you go right back to the first page and read it all again with new eyes. Just like Doug.

STL017342_zpsz8ckneqa.jpg

Found this in an old wizard mag

B5F6A2C7-4BC2-43D4-8FCC-3C515678090C_zpsnraf1koq.jpg

I went to that show. I was especially happy to meet Irv Novick. Being a GA guy and loving the old MLJ books. I don't think he made many comic con appearances.

I remember Gil Kane being a bit of a tool though. I had had Marty O'Dell sign my Showcase #22 because he created the "original" Green Lantern. He and Kane must have had a "tiff" because he wouldn't sign my book because that "hack" as he put it signed it. Luckily, Julius Schwartz was in the booth and convinced him to do it.

comshowcase22b_zps3bp3wuvf.jpg