• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tales to Astonish Appreciation Thread
1 1

1,446 posts in this topic

Thanks Bill!! I can thank/blame Pym for this!! "Join the #59-101 set", he says never suspecting that my competitive nature would force me to keep buying ultra HG TTA's until the #1 spot was mine acclaim.gifcloud9.gif The TTA monkey is firmly on my back insane.gif893whatthe.gif27_laughing.gif

Korvac, you know it all makes so much sense. thumbsup2.gif

It's a great set, and it looks like your pulling together one of the more premier runs together! 893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

Though it's mindful to know, doing some quick sums, I think Doug tops out at about 25,000 points for his mostly PC run of 59-101. The rest of the mere mortals are squabbling around the half way mark of that total. Scary thought.

Though I did chuckle when he put his TTA #50 9.8 up in his general sale area a little while back. I think he put an asking price of $8,000 on it.

Now I not sure what noxious plants grow in Florida, but that day I reckon dougy boy had been smoking a good amount of them. foreheadslap.gif

Yes BE, Doug's books would clobber anyone's should he decide to enter them in the #59-101 or the #27,#35-101 sets. That would force me into a life of crime so I could buy all of Doug's books stooges.gif

Yes BE, Doug's books would clobber anyone's should he decide to enter them in the #59-101 or the #27,#35-101 sets. That would force me into a life of crime so I could buy all of Doug's books stooges.gif

I hear you re Doug books, but criminal is what these books in HG are now going for, is the best description. Nevermind what Doug's pricing would ever be.

I think the books that people got when Filosa sold off his run look like bargain prices now. Pariticularly for the ped copies of various books in the run.

It's obviously fair to say for all SA Marvel, (and DC) titles, that as census numbers thicken up, the superior qulaity of certain peds will stand the test, and remain highly sort after.

Even in a field of books grading out the same. People familiar with the peds will know what distinguishes them above other copies of a given book.

Yes there are always going to be books that will make ped copies look average from time to time. But for the likes of many collectors who are relying purely on a hazy scan from which to do their sort after high-end purchases, peds provide a certain comfort factor with their on-line purchases.

Which I think goes some ways to explaining why that TTA sale in the clink auction for the Boston #82. It was not the highest graded, and what 6? other copies in the same grade. But those who know Boston's, know that they are very clean, crisp books...with dare I say it, a shot at a resub in the case of the #82.

In that case, $1200 looks well spent.

Edited by brasseye

Great books Angelo + thanks for sharing thumbsup2.gif HG is nice, but its all about appreciating the books themselves + the great art and stories that they contain. There's nothing like reading the original books, the house ads, the letter pages,etc

These things get lost in reprints and there's no "old comic smell"!!

Though the flash from the scanner exaggerates it, it's the blindingly whitest Silver age book I've ever seen whatthe :cloud9:

That is a boast, considering the breadth of your collection!

I think a lot of people underestimate the TTA's from this era, simply because of the title continuing from it's GA monster mash/Scifi origins. The numbering sort of obscures their place in the SA continuim.

But those early Hulk issue are early SA books (pre 66'), which are simply hard to get, and 59-69 are the true rarities to get in top order.

Congrats, and well done on securig such a prized book!

Edited by brasseye

Two months ago, I made a concious decision to buy and collect only White Mountain books after getting this beauty from our own Rich (Korvac Saga)

WMTTA59.jpg

Until this book I had never picked up a TTA in my life but once it arrived I fell in love with it and the pedigree in general.

Since then these have all fallen in my lap one way or another and hope to keep my little run going.

WMTTA53.jpg

WMTTA54.jpg

WMTTA58.jpg

WMTTA66.jpg

and this one is currently in transit and can't wait to add it to my collection

WMTTA49.jpg

Thanks Rich for hooking me on this title, and my wife would also like to thank you as she very much enjoys eating only Kraft Dinner, Beans and Bologna sandwiches all the time :) At this pace I'll also be a new client for some bankruptcy lawyer as well :) The whole "Butterfly Effect" thing.

Jim

Kraft Dinner, beans and bologna sandwiches!?!?!?! :o Luxury!! Its been an all roadkill diet for me and the missus lately. How else can I pay for these books? :insane:

Seriously though, great books and a great new TTA collector have joined the fold :banana::applause:(worship) And things were never the same again..............................they were better dammit lol (thumbs u

Kraft Dinner, beans and bologna sandwiches!?!?!?! :o Luxury!! Its been an all roadkill diet for me and the missus lately. How else can I pay for these books? :insane:

Seriously though, great books and a great new TTA collector have joined the fold :banana::applause:(worship) And things were never the same again..............................they were better dammit lol (thumbs u

Korvac, I think road kill will look like 5 star dining soon. CGCw has manged to grab a good amount of the lower graded WM's, from here on in it's 9.6 stratosphere to contend with!

If I recall, I think most of the 60's issue's for WM's are 9.6, and gone through Heritage for a minimum of $1000.00 a pop. Ouch!

#57 oooh, 9.6 $3,500....and so on and so on....

I know, I know. #62, 63, 64 and 65 are all 9.6's..#67 is ONLY a 9.4 though :) not sure what #68 or #69 are, as I haven't found details on those in my research. I wish they could all be 9.0's and 9.2's...of course then it wouldn't be a pedigree :)

BTW I accidentally stumbled onto this one, and it is currently in transit as well. Now I have to include Ebay.UK in all my searches as well. :)

WMTTA42.jpg

Jim

I know, I know. #62, 63, 64 and 65 are all 9.6's..#67 is ONLY a 9.4 though :) not sure what #68 or #69 are, as I haven't found details on those in my research. I wish they could all be 9.0's and 9.2's...of course then it wouldn't be a pedigree :)

BTW I accidentally stumbled onto this one, and it is currently in transit as well. Now I have to include Ebay.UK in all my searches as well. :)

WMTTA42.jpg

Jim

:o(worship) Jim, that's an amazing copy! Those early Ant-Man TTA's are so hard to find in HG. What a spectacular collection your putting together :applause:

Angelo

Angelo: Thanks...I'm trying. I was afraid to post what I was trying to collect before the Heritage auctions end in early August but then I thought maybe people might actually leave the 2 books I'll be going after alone. Here's crossing my fingers and hoping I'll have another couple of additions to this thread in early August :)

Jim