• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tales to Astonish Appreciation Thread
1 1

1,446 posts in this topic

A few recent acquisitions:

TTA7794.jpg

More to come!!

:applause: I figured that was you who picked up the 77 off clink when I saw the 9.2 for sale!! Congrats on your complete 9.4+ run (worship)

Smart move Kovac, seriously impressive pickup!! (thumbs u

Brass: Don't get too excited, the TTA #35 is only a 7.0 unfortunately. On the plus side it won't cost a cagillion dollars.

Jim

Jim, I was kinda wondering that after I made the post. Anything in 9.0 and above would get you a world of hurt with your other half for sure.

7.0 say's she won't dissect you for spending too much cash on the funny books.

Still an amassing complete run of WM TTA's will be a very nice thing, regardless of the mixed bag of grades (thumbs u

Brass: I don't know about that, my wife sat up with me last night watching the CC auctions end. She knew I was prepared to spend a small fortune and was dissappointed for each loss "we" sustained. I did get two of the FF WM's but as soon as #13 in 9.2 hit five figures, I knew it was going to be ugly. I want to put all the WM's back together but I'm not that kinda crazy :)

Jim

Brass: I don't know about that, my wife sat up with me last night watching the CC auctions end. She knew I was prepared to spend a small fortune and was dissappointed for each loss "we" sustained. I did get two of the FF WM's but as soon as #13 in 9.2 hit five figures, I knew it was going to be ugly. I want to put all the WM's back together but I'm not that kinda crazy :)

Jim

Jim, that had totally slipped my mind. Wow, so you didn't get any of them :shy: I know you were pretty determined, but you would of been up against some deep pocketted FF collector's, of which I'm presuming there are a few.

Plus those particular WM issue's are trophies of trophies, no doubt about it.

Well I hope your ok about them, big money is big money, and collecting isn't about financially ruining ourselves, so it certainly sounds like you tried your best.

What were the final results on those books??

p.s. your wife sounds very cool by the way!

Brass: I did win two of them, #25 and #38. The #13 went for $10,000+ and the the #26 was $6,000...I almost went $6200 on that but KorvacSaga and Big Hulk Fan talked some sense into me. Heck the #36 went for $2900, while the Bethlehem equivalent has been sitting on Dougs site for months at $1200. Even I'm not crazy enough to pay $1700 to upgrade from OW-W, to White. :) I've realized that the WM's are a marathon and not a race, plus it helped that Burntboy sold me his WM copy of FF#27 the day before the auction.

Jim

Which issue does everyone think is more significant in this "super-hero" short run. Issue #59- First Hulk appearance, or #93, Silver surfer cross over.

Last pic I promise!!

Beach...very nice book by the way!

For historical significance it has to be #59, first and formost.

After that I'd say;

#60 Hulk on-going begins,

#70 Sub-mariner joins the title.

#77 Hulk identity revealed for the first time.

#93 First Silver Surfer cross-over outside FF.

#90 First Abomination

#101 Last issue

#82 Iron man cross-over

Mind you this list doesn't necessarily bear out current market prices for the books. As #82, and #93 have taken some huge price escalations lately.

#70 suffer's from far too few HG copies being around. And #77 with only 4 copies in NM or better, which is pretty much unheard of for any title from that part of the SA, the prices don't reflect the siginificance, as the market doesn't ever get to see them essentially.

Some semi significant books get no recognition, like #69, the last Ant-man book, leader first apperance, High Evolutionary appearance, #92 Surfer cameo (and one of my personal favourites), etc, etc

Other's, do please chime in for opinions here, this is purely my take on things.

Edited by brasseye

Thanks, its a slow build, this series,..and fairly expensive!! With the more recent surge in HG SA CGC books. I've had most of the run in raw, readers quality for years..Finally decided to get serious about putting this run together in HG. Very Distracting, addiction!

You can see the early marketing at Marvel, in these books, constantly teasing you with cameos, and crossovers. Surely an incredible era, for Marvel Comics!!

Thanks, for the kind words!!

B

Beach, well you certainly picked a good CGC set to collect. As you can get quite a few issues for reasonable money, and then chasing the big books is the challenging/fun bit :insane:lol ...ok, don't quote me here :sorry:

But seriously it is a solid run to build, and it seems you've already got most of the prized later-run issues. Gene Colan and the gang we're really hitting their stride with the cover's and interior's around then.

Oh, it looks like #90 with the first Abomination will be joining the big book list, with the character definitely now set for the next Hulk movie (thumbs u

Beach, well you certainly picked a good CGC set to collect. As you can get quite a few issues for reasonable money, and then chasing the big books is the challenging/fun bit :insane:lol ...ok, don't quote me here :sorry:

But seriously it is a solid run to build, and it seems you've already got most of the prized later-run issues. Gene Colan and the gang we're really hitting their stride with the cover's and interior's around then.

Oh, it looks like #90 with the first Abomination will be joining the big book list, with the character definitely now set for the next Hulk movie (thumbs u

I am glad I recently picked up the NL copy of 90 in 9.4 :applause:

BTW beach I pretty much agree with brasseyes determination sans the 77...however, I do agree with him on the importance, but, I don't feel it's recognized as much by the general collecting community as it should be...good luck with your quest!!!

For historical significance it has to be #59, first and formost.

After that I'd say;

#60 Hulk on-going begins,

#70 Sub-mariner joins the title.

#77 Hulk identity revealed for the first time.

#93 First Silver Surfer cross-over outside FF.

#90 First Abomination

#101 Last issue

#82 Iron man cross-over

Brasseyes, I would think #91 would be right behind #90, with the Abomination and hulk plastered on the cover, but we'll see. Might follow the IH 180-182 Phenomenon , with Wolverine!.

Yes #77 is slippery little devil to find in HG. As is #101.

B.

The quest continues...

..oh i've found a few more scans to share!!

Edited by BEACHCOMBER

B.

The quest continues...

..oh i've found a few more scans to share!!

It'll be interesting see how the #90 goes, but I presume it'll be all down to the movie...do they kill him off, or save that for another instalment hm

Well we're waiting, lets see them scan's! (thumbs u