• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'PLANET COMICS' (is deserving of its own thread)
29 29

6,293 posts in this topic

On 8/31/2024 at 10:56 AM, fast eddie said:

Here is my intro to Planets,,,,,,,, bought off these boards some years ago,,,,,, I don't do this often (post pics) but I told Spyder I would,,,, hope it turns out.

IMG_8131.JPG

🙌🏻 on your entry into Planets, you chose a great one. Some cool stories and artwork in this one, Planet 19 (cover) is one of my top 5 favorite planets. That spider is really really cool 😎 

Thanks for sharing 

On 9/2/2024 at 2:41 AM, Flex Mentallo said:

Such a great copy. Do you also have a #5 with deep colors, or is my memory playing tricks on me?

When the Mile High run became available this was the one book I 'had' to get.  I had looked at the other 9.2 several times and the colors weren't great.  Not bad, by FH standards, but clearly not what they could be.  

On 9/2/2024 at 6:58 PM, buttock said:

When the Mile High run became available this was the one book I 'had' to get.  I had looked at the other 9.2 several times and the colors weren't great.  Not bad, by FH standards, but clearly not what they could be.  

Thank you for reposting! It really is a wonder.

Like #12, unsaturated colors just kill that cover, and I got so frustrated trying to find one like yours. [More than once I was deceived by 'juiced' scans.] The combination of green and 'Fiction House orange' in every other copy I've seen or owned is such an unhappy marriage.

Whereas the intensity of yours brings chromatic depth and pictorial space to a relatively flat composition.

Your intense copy also reveals that the orange in the Planet title is lighter than the deeper red/orange background color, which gives it another lift. So fascinating to see what was intended!

It's a minor tragedy that so much imagination went into the color design, only for so much to be lost in the printing. I wonder if the printer consciously skimped on the magenta, thinking no-one would care - or even notice?

Edited by Flex Mentallo

On 9/2/2024 at 3:28 PM, MattTheDuck said:

Seems odd to see glue on a Church copy

It happens more than one would think. On the CGC slab it notes “slight glue on cover” for Church Planets 5,9,13,22, and 51. Those are the ones I know of and there may be more…..

On 9/2/2024 at 3:07 PM, kelholt said:

It happens more than one would think. On the CGC slab it notes “slight glue on cover” for Church Planets 5,9,13,22, and 51. Those are the ones I know of and there may be more…..

Must have gone through Snyder's hands.  Typically a dot on a bindery tear.  

On 9/2/2024 at 10:50 AM, buttock said:
On 9/2/2024 at 4:41 AM, Flex Mentallo said:

Such a great copy. Do you also have a #5 with deep colors, or is my memory playing tricks on me?

planet 5 mh.jpg

Nice.

Now share the one with the deep colors. :popcorn:

On 9/2/2024 at 11:16 AM, Flex Mentallo said:

Thank you for reposting! It really is a wonder.

Like #12, unsaturated colors just kill that cover, and I got so frustrated trying to find one like yours. [More than once I was deceived by 'juiced' scans.] The combination of green and 'Fiction House orange' in every other copy I've seen or owned is such an unhappy marriage.

Whereas the intensity of yours brings chromatic depth and pictorial space to a relatively flat composition.

Your intense copy also reveals that the orange in the Planet title is lighter than the deeper red/orange background color, which gives it another lift. So fascinating to see what was intended!

It's a minor tragedy that so much imagination went into the color design, only for so much to be lost in the printing. I wonder if the printer consciously skimped on the magenta, thinking no-one would care - or even notice?

Yes, each fountain on a printing press contains one color. In those days CMYK. As the press runs, it empties the ink in each color. It is part of the job of a pressman to keep each fountain filled. Magenta (Red) usually runs low first. Ink costs money. I assume that disposable items like magazines, comics ect wern’t considered very important. FH was probably very tight on production costs.

The rich colored copies probably came from the first part of the run. The weaker colored ones the end. By the end of the run they just want to “make count” and overlooked quality.

They were just considered cheap, disposable items. 

On 9/5/2024 at 7:53 AM, EwanUK said:

PLANET STORIES (UK EDITIONS)

Pembertons (UK) / Fiction House (USA), Mar 1950 onwards

In the UK "Planet Stories" ran for 12 issues.

DSCN8046 (2).JPG

DSCN8647 (2).JPG

DSCN8653 (2).JPG

DSCN8662 (2).JPG

DSCN8984 (2).JPG

DSCN8985 (2).JPG

Beautiful copies!!!  I like that "Where the Gods Decide" one!  I wish that cover blurb wasn't covering so much of the art, but it's still AWESOME!