• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'PLANET COMICS' (is deserving of its own thread)
29 29

6,186 posts in this topic

New Planet collector here.  I've been a Marvel/Silver collector until a couple of weeks ago when I made the mistake of buying several Planets from Rick.  Now I'm hooked. 

I very much appreciate all 122 pages of this thread--it took several hours to read, but was well worth it. 

As the complete newbie, my take is a little different:

Given the very limited supply of these books, one or two new buyers can make a difference in auction pricing--especially when those buyers have the zeal of the newly converted and need almost all of the books.  Sure, prices could go down over the next couple of years.  If that happens, then the rest of the books I need will cost less.  It's just hard to see that happening considering how few books actually come to market and how cool these books are.

1 hour ago, Tim Weaver said:

New Planet collector here.  I've been a Marvel/Silver collector until a couple of weeks ago when I made the mistake of buying several Planets from Rick.  Now I'm hooked. 

I very much appreciate all 122 pages of this thread--it took several hours to read, but was well worth it. 

As the complete newbie, my take is a little different:

Given the very limited supply of these books, one or two new buyers can make a difference in auction pricing--especially when those buyers have the zeal of the newly converted and need almost all of the books.  Sure, prices could go down over the next couple of years.  If that happens, then the rest of the books I need will cost less.  It's just hard to see that happening considering how few books actually come to market and how cool these books are.

Welcome Tim! I started collecting Planet Comics in June and quickly became a bit addicted :insane:. I hope you enjoy the affliction as much as I have.

Also, I respectfully ask you, and everyone else, to please abstain from purchasing Planet Comics until I complete the run lol

Nice Berk book you bought from Rick by the way. 

3 hours ago, Spyder! said:

Welcome Tim! I started collecting Planet Comics in June and quickly became a bit addicted :insane:. I hope you enjoy the affliction as much as I have.

Also, I respectfully ask you, and everyone else, to please abstain from purchasing Planet Comics until I complete the run lol

Nice Berk book you bought from Rick by the way. 

Thanks, Spyder.  I've purchased 12 books in my first couple weeks of collecting Planets, so yeah, I'd say it's addiction.  Figure I might as well get the "easy" ones out of the way when I can find them in nice shape before reality sets in on the tough books.  Everyone should feel free to throw the new guy a couple of rivets (I admit it took me a while to figure out what those were :gossip:).

28 minutes ago, SushiX said:

Not really familiar with planets so why is this book more than the other copies?

it is considered "scarce" and it is also very hard to find in decent grade. Many copies of this book also have slightly brittle to brittle pages so finding a copy of this book without is a challenge.

The Church copy is the highest known graded copy.

24 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

it is considered "scarce" and it is also very hard to find in decent grade. Many copies of this book also have slightly brittle to brittle pages so finding a copy of this book without is a challenge.

The Church copy is the highest known graded copy.

I see! Thank you artboy!:foryou:

1 hour ago, jhutton2 said:

As much as I want one of these Rivet Church books, its seems more likely by the day that I may wind up sitting out this auction.   Time will tell I guess

I am in the same boat the only difference is I am willing to take any Church Planet. Definitely priced out on a large portion of them already. :(

31 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

I am in the same boat the only difference is I am willing to take any Church Planet. Definitely priced out on a large portion of them already. :(

I may pull the trigger on a higher number issue to grab one as well, but there is really only a small grouping outside of the Rivets that appeal to me strongly on a personal level.   I told myself that I would only focus on upgrades to my Rivets, but this batch of books might be too rich for what I really want to spend at the moment.