• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'PLANET COMICS' (is deserving of its own thread)
29 29

6,186 posts in this topic

On 11/20/2018 at 4:15 PM, Bird said:

Today I ran into a seller who recently bought a collection. He casually mentioned there was a bit of everything in there, some GA, some weird Bronze, magazines, etc. GA? I asked. Any Planet Comics or Jumbo comics?  Oh yeah, let me get the list out...#1 is on the list but I don't think I saw that in there as I would have remembered it.  hm  I doubt he will bulk them to me but he is going to call me first (supposedly, hopefully). He had about 30 Jumbo on the list as well. (I like Jumbo.) He said some Archies in there etc and I know he has more trouble selling those than superhero stuff. I also asked about Whiz, Wings, and Speed. Did I find a new honey-hole? I sure hope so. :wishluck:

I am going over today and am a bit pessimistic. If he has a 15 what am I going to do, buy 1 book? Well, he was in no hurry to price them so perhaps he will keep them aside for me and I can go back a few times as he sells the other GA. I am going to meet him around 3 so I should have some news by 5. It is a 50/50 thing; I won't walk out empty handed but I won't need a box for them all either!!!

Well my honey hole was almost empty it seems that almost all of the Planet Comics books on the list were pulled from the collection before My guy had a chance to buy them the  Archie 50 was on the list but not in the boxes either. There was not a Planet 15 on the list, I asked him to check.

Still he had five long boxes of Golden Age comics really nice stuff and I’m going back next week. Wings (most with binder holes), two Speed, 20 or so Jumbo, a few Jungle, tons of great stuff. Dell and funny animal galore of course.

I did manage to get the 2 planet comics he did have. I’ll Show them off when I get out of the car and get home

Edited by Bird

On 11/28/2018 at 6:58 PM, Spyder! said:

Question: which of the many great pistol-whipping Planet Comics covers is your favorite?

I was thinking of the covers where the pistol is used to beat the enemy rather than shoot them. I probably have to go with 14, but 30 is pretty sweet. 

AAA44AD9-B42E-42F4-B1EF-1C9A9590BFB4.jpeg

191CDCEF-B827-4E85-8B43-AE140FEB8EF1.jpeg

So to reiterate, large collection bought by an acquaintance and there was a list of what was supposed to be in there. But the Planet Comics were missing, as was the Archie 50. I bought these two, the only ones in there.

DtR-KfJVsAALdAO.jpg

So it is a honey hole but the honey is just a different flavor than I was hoping.  I don't have to go crazy selling though as I don't NEED the others like I need the crack that is Planet Comics.

Edited by Bird
and of course 46 was one of the two that he had. I like her strength but I know that many feel otherwise!

6 hours ago, Spyder! said:

I was thinking of the covers where the pistol is used to beat the enemy rather than shoot them. I probably have to go with 14, but 30 is pretty sweet. 

AAA44AD9-B42E-42F4-B1EF-1C9A9590BFB4.jpeg

191CDCEF-B827-4E85-8B43-AE140FEB8EF1.jpeg

if it is a pistol whipping then :

PlanetComics40CGC70_zps96975cb6.jpg

PlanetComics31CGC50_zps9371cb90.jpg

PlanetComics30CGC70front_zps69848a63.jpg

PlanetComics20CGC60_zpsf0cadc82.jpg

PlanetComics14raw30_zpsc5852bea.jpg

of those choices I like 14 then 30 the best

1 hour ago, Artboy99 said:

if it is a pistol whipping then :

PlanetComics40CGC70_zps96975cb6.jpg

PlanetComics31CGC50_zps9371cb90.jpg

PlanetComics30CGC70front_zps69848a63.jpg

PlanetComics20CGC60_zpsf0cadc82.jpg

PlanetComics14raw30_zpsc5852bea.jpg

of those choices I like 14 then 30 the best

Yes I think that’s all of them. And I agree with your top 2!

(also, your copy of 30 is quite nice! (thumbsu, and the aliens in your copy are very purple, where I have more often seen them more blue than purple. Very cool)

Edited by Spyder!

Well, over the last few days many of the CC Planet books have not been moving, so I decide to throw in a bid or two.  Within a few hours of my bid, I am outbid.  So I move on to a couple of other books, same thing, within a few hours, out bid again :(  I try again with a couple of new books and a couple of the others I bid on previously, same thing, all outbid within a few hours again the same scenario.   A single buyer chasing all these, something funny going on or just chance?

3 minutes ago, jhutton2 said:

Well, over the last few days many of the CC Planet books have not been moving, so I decide to throw in a bid or two.  Within a few hours of my bid, I am outbid.  So I move on to a couple of other books, same thing, within a few hours, out bid again :(  I try again with a couple of new books and a couple of the others I bid on previously, same thing, all outbid within a few hours again the same scenario.   A single buyer chasing all these, something funny going on or just chance?

There are a few big auction houses I simply do not trust 100%. Just sayin'.

11 minutes ago, jhutton2 said:

My guess would be single buyer - there is precedent.

23 minutes ago, jhutton2 said:

More like funny business happens all the time :smile:

Meanwhile, at a different auction house, Planets are bringing in strong prices even among the bottom dwellers like me.  I bid what I thought was a rather large amount for a 1.8 copy of #17 and was outbid in the final seconds.  When 1.8’s are going for that much, I’m not sure I will ever land the remaining books in the run! :cry: I do sincerely hope that whoever outbid me is a boardie. :foryou: I know some others are working on the run.

(Also, the 1.8 #13 went for $720. Strong results)

7 minutes ago, Spyder! said:

Meanwhile, at a different auction house, Planets are bringing in strong prices even among the bottom dwellers like me.  I bid what I thought was a rather large amount for a 1.8 copy of #17 and was outbid in the final seconds.  When 1.8’s are going for that much, I’m not sure I will ever land the remaining books in the run! :cry: I do sincerely hope that whoever outbid me is a boardie. :foryou: I know some others are working on the run.

(Also, the 1.8 #13 went for $720. Strong results)

Yep, there does seem to be a tiny bit of hysteria revolving around the Planets at the moment. What's really going to be the clincher is if in a year's/two years time they are still as strong or whether they fall thru' the floor. If the latter is the case then there are going to be a lot of egg smeared faces about.

8 hours ago, jhutton2 said:

Nice try to discourage us from bidding.  Too bad we are on to you.  :baiting:

47 minutes ago, Grantley Goddard said:

Yep, there does seem to be a tiny bit of hysteria revolving around the Planets at the moment. What's really going to be the clincher is if in a year's/two years time they are still as strong or whether they fall thru' the floor. If the latter is the case then there are going to be a lot of egg smeared faces about.

My guesses:

The in-demand issues will stay strong, and at least some will get stronger.

We might see a few more issues rise in value, but most of those that are scarce have already been identified [5,6,11,14,15,18,33,34,65,66, etc].

The more common issues will probably remain fairly unhysterical, but high grade copies will at least hold their value.

But the sale of the Church copies may alter the landscape, and/or bring out fresh copies or runs. That would make things a lot more interesting!