• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'PLANET COMICS' (is deserving of its own thread)
29 29

6,186 posts in this topic

When Joe Tricarichi was selling the Larson comic collection  at either a Detroit show or Chicago Comic-Con late 1980s or early 1990s I held the Planet 1 clipped cover Larson copy . I had a choice either  buy the copy for 600 or pay my rent … well I was married so I paid the rent . Then years later I bought another clipped cover Planet 1 and it made me think of the Larson copy but as I remember the Larson  had a coupon missing lower down on right edge as I remember . I later found in Nebraska from a paper dealer a piece from a planet 1 copy I’ve always wanted to see if it would match the piece missing from the Larson copy. I’m thinking it does not but one can dream can’t they ? I’m still happy with what I have.

On 8/11/2021 at 10:31 AM, Drgoldage said:

When Joe Tricarichi was selling the Larson comic collection  at either a Detroit show or Chicago Comic-Con late 1980s or early 1990s I held the Planet 1 clipped cover Larson copy . I had a choice either  buy the copy for 600 or pay my rent … well I was married so I paid the rent . Then years later I bought another clipped cover Planet 1 and it made me think of the Larson copy but as I remember the Larson  had a coupon missing lower down on right edge as I remember . I later found in Nebraska from a paper dealer a piece from a planet 1 copy I’ve always wanted to see if it would match the piece missing from the Larson copy. I’m thinking it does not but one can dream can’t they ? I’m still happy with what I have.

Thanks for the sharing! I love hearing stories like this.

Joe Tricarichi was a old time comic dealer and would send me every few months a updated list of books  “Golden age nuggets “he was selling he would put a * by books that were Larson copies he would add Larson designation as well . I didn’t know the story behind the books but I bought several and they always were glowing copies . The Planet 1 Larson was the one that got away as was the all American 16 coupon missing back cover for 1500 that he kindly held for me for some weeks before I told him I couldn’t afford it . Yes I’m still kicking myself on that one , his lists were fun never knew what would show up prices were fair too .

On 8/15/2021 at 1:31 PM, waaaghboss said:

Im not in tune with GA pricing, but does the brittle pages kind of tank the value?

Very much so.

If issue #3 was impossible to find (and it is getting harder than when I completed my run ), I could see someone buying this as a placeholder as the book does present well for the grade. The brittle pages will make most buyers look for a better copy though.

On 8/18/2021 at 4:38 AM, MattTheDuck said:

Hey, guys, here's a pic of the inside of the front cover of a Planet #53 I'm considering buying.  Note the ink bleed-through from the FC.  Is this a common "flaw" in the Planet run?  Could it be the result of a press?  Thoughts?

Planet 53 - bleed through.jpeg

I've not really noticed this as some kind of common flaw to Planets per se, however you could be right, could be from a press, but remember it could be from a natural pressure press.

If someone kept that in a stack of books, without bagging etc, the weight could do it...but that's probably a stretch in this day and age.

I guess it depends on the OO's habits and provenance of the book.

If I had to make a call, I'd say it's a press side effect.

On 8/17/2021 at 10:38 PM, MattTheDuck said:

Hey, guys, here's a pic of the inside of the front cover of a Planet #53 I'm considering buying.  Note the ink bleed-through from the FC.  Is this a common "flaw" in the Planet run?  Could it be the result of a press?  Thoughts?

This is a book I was discussing selling to Matt and I was explaining to him that I have had a few planets and other fiction house books with this. It seems like it's the black outlines and text coming through as if someone had a steady enough hand to trace over all of those areas perfectly straight. Under a 10x loupe there is no sign of any color loss or chipping that would "warrant" color touch on the corresponding side of the cover. I haven't had the book pressed since I've owned it and honestly the spine has a nice "plumpness" to it that belies it being crushed I would think. I didn't realize pressing could potentially cause such an issue. Sorry for the manifesto.

Edited by Mystafo

On 8/17/2021 at 10:38 PM, MattTheDuck said:

It's very hard to say what caused this.  I've had Fiction House books with some color bleeding through from the front cover to the inside cover.  I've also had them with color bleeding through from the back cover to the front cover.  If there is no sign of color touch from an inspection of the front cover (different level of gloss, etc.) then I probably wouldn't worry about it.  Of course, it's hard to say much of anything with confidence from just one picture.

On 8/18/2021 at 1:25 PM, Mystafo said:

Do you think someone touched up all the black lines and text?

Seems unlikely to me.  That is not a part of the cover that typically receives color touch.  Did someone trace the letters for "fun"? That seems possible.  I still can't tell from the picture shared.  But color touch just on the black outline of the letters in the title? That seems very unlikely IMO.

On 8/18/2021 at 3:51 PM, Spyder! said:

Seems unlikely to me.  That is not a part of the cover that typically receives color touch.  Did someone trace the letters for "fun"? That seems possible.  I still can't tell from the picture shared.  But color touch just on the black outline of the letters in the title? That seems very unlikely IMO.

Kind of my thought as, like I said, I have scoured these for traces of some reason for someone to have wanted to ct these areas and have yet to find such...especially when there are other more blatant areas to target with a marker( spine ticks, faded areas, chips, etc.)

On 8/17/2021 at 9:38 PM, MattTheDuck said:

I have seen this exact book before. Was it you that showed it to me?

Or did you buy it from a guy in Calgary Canada?

On 8/18/2021 at 7:16 PM, Artboy99 said:

I have seen this exact book before. Was it you that showed it to me?

Or did you buy it from a guy in Calgary Canada?

I did not show this to you.  This book is coming from Louisiana, and was previously living in Virginia I believe.  Interesting that it looks familiar.