• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'PLANET COMICS' (is deserving of its own thread)
29 29

6,186 posts in this topic

On 8/18/2021 at 9:16 PM, Artboy99 said:

I have seen this exact book before. Was it you that showed it to me?

Or did you buy it from a guy in Calgary Canada?

I listed it a couple years ago and asked about it in this thread. Took it down after a few days and put it back in the box. You apparently pmd me about it a few posts down but looking back through my pms I can't locate it.

Edited by Mystafo

On 1/9/2019 at 3:13 PM, Mystafo said:

Hey I've got a little question for you Planet heads...have a look at this.  I was taking some interior cover pics upon request for a book I had listed when I noticed that pretty much every black line of the fc and bc (including all the little text at the bottom) showed what looked like a little bleedthrough.  Here's an excerpt from our pm:

"Ok here are some pics of the interior cover.  As I was taking the pics I noticed that there is what at first glance appears to be color touch bleedthrough which I never noticed.  However upon very close examination of the outside and inside of the cover with a loupe, I'm 99.9 percent sure it is not.  The marks on the inside cover correspond to every black line on the outside, even the tiny little text on the bc, bottom and under very close examination of the lettering and other black lines I can't see any evidence that they were written over.  I feel like it would be nearly impossible to go over EVERY solid black line on the fc and bc without smudging  or mucking up the tiny typed text.  Anyhoo, just wanted to preface with that as at first I was a little perturbed, lol"

Is this something you've seen before or could this possibly be resto?  Just seems implausible to me but...

DSC_0422.JPG

DSC_0423.JPG

DSC_0425.JPG

DSC_0426.JPG

Here it is january 9 19

On 8/18/2021 at 7:25 PM, Mystafo said:

Do you think someone touched up all the black lines and text?

Well, it has that appearance, but cant be certain. Running a pen along a straight edge will lead to uneven deposits of ink if the pen stops moving. So you'd have dots of deeper back, which is what I see. If it were translucency caused by, say, a persistently damp environment, I'd expect all of the colors to show through more or less evenly. But all sorts of weird and wonderful things are possible, and I wouldn't rule anything out. It just struck me as the most likely explanation from looking at the scan.

On 8/19/2021 at 1:53 AM, Flex Mentallo said:

Posted the above before noticing the additional scans. Now I see excess black ink dots and lines on the back cover which were perhaps deposited in the printing process. So it's a puzzle.

I appreciate the observations and thoughts. I spent a couple hours yesterday gong over these books with a black light and can't find any indication that its ct. The books, while not glossy, have a uniform reflection and texture to the logo when held so the glare hits it rather than the difference in texture one might expect of ink over a color break. Anyway I guess I've clogged up this thread, enough. I appreciate the insight from everyone!

I would think if someone used a straight edge and a pen to outline the letters there would be heavier deposits of ink and subsequently more bleed through at points where the lines intersect, such as corners. I also don't see much bleed through on the rounded sections of the letter "P" in Planet. Those rounder portions would almost certainly have to be done by hand without a guide and I would think would show more inconsistencies, such as heavier ink deposits from the hesitations of the hand drawing around the curved surface. 

Just my 2c

Yeah, the Fiction House printing process was pretty scrappy, wasn't it? Often see excess color, such as yellow, and #53 sometimes has excess deposits when colors are deep. [If the chemical composition of the black ink used differs markedly from the other colors, perhaps it reacts differently in different conditions as well.]

On 8/20/2021 at 9:40 AM, Flex Mentallo said:

Yeah, the Fiction House printing process was pretty scrappy, wasn't it? Often see excess color, such as yellow, and #53 sometimes has excess deposits when colors are deep. [If the chemical composition of the black ink used differs markedly from the other colors, perhaps it reacts differently in different conditions as well.]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CMYK_color_model

Cage's purty book comes up for sale. Denver ped to boot.

Old Nic had two things going for him as a comic book collector.

A good eye and a huge bank balance.

ComicConnect - PLANET COMICS (1940-54) #1 - CGC NM: 9.4

pla1.1190a.jpg

pla1.1190b.jpg

On 8/23/2021 at 9:09 AM, G G ® ™ said:

Cage's purty book comes up for sale. Denver ped to boot.

Old Nic had two things going for him as a comic book collector.

A good eye and a huge bank balance.

ComicConnect - PLANET COMICS (1940-54) #1 - CGC NM: 9.4

pla1.1190a.jpg

pla1.1190b.jpg

The current bid is $62,000 with 10 days to go! :ohnoez:

On 8/24/2021 at 7:00 PM, goldenacase said:

I posted scan in June when I won it but it has finally arrived USPS is very slow to Canada but its finally in hand :banana:

IMG_9694.jpg

Can I ask if that is a tear at the top middle above the word "ON" ?

Really nice colors!

On 8/24/2021 at 8:58 PM, Artboy99 said:

Can I ask if that is a tear at the top middle above the word "ON" ?

Really nice colors!

doesn't appear to be there is another one less pronounced going through the other O looks look crease or the makings of a giant chip lol