• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Regardless of grade.....what are dealbreakers for you?

108 posts in this topic

Me.....

1. Brittle pages, even slightly

2. Rusted staples

3. Anything more than just a slight restoration, few color touches, cover cleaned, reinforced etc.

4. Writing on the cover, a small mark i can deal with. Somebodys name or a library stamp etc, nada

Your list in a nutshell.

Rusted staples,brittle pages. I will avoid at all costs.

A lot is book dependent as well. Obviously not gonna kick a pre-Robin Tec out of bed over a stamp on the cover. Brittle pages is hard and fast for me though. Thats not gonna improve over time. Id just be looking at the book envisioning a scenario down the road where i crack it out, turn the pages and it falls apart in my hands.

My big ones are probably water damage, brittle pages, rust, large diagonal miswraps, and incomplete comics. I also don't like severe spine rolls

As far as resto is concerned, I abhor trimming and color touch

Cat odor.

Brittle pages.

Insect/rodent nibbling damage.

Significant missing pieces (chipping isn't a dealbreaker, but an old newsstand cover that had the top half ripped off to send in for return is a big fat NO)

Those are my big ones.

how do you tell if pages are brittle if it's already slabbed?

graders notes, sometimes on the slab