• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Undead Thread: Pre-Code Horror
22 22

Favorite Pre-Code Publisher  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite Pre-Code Publisher

10,245 posts in this topic

And this one, while not as striking as Mysterious Adventures #13, still is an admirable effort at showcasing a larger-than-life skull coming at you (oh, Bill!)

994331-ma15.jpg

This is actually my fave Mysterious Adventures cover - and the story inside that ends with dinosaurs bowling with human heads is an oddball horror classic. thumbsup2.gif

Awesome cover, PKC. One of my favorite painted covers in the horror genre.

I love the cover to Nightmare #13!

I'll concur that I like it as well. Any ideas of the artist. It's not Kubert and the GCD does not any one listed. Does OSPG (am at work right now) or Gerber list an artist? And while I am at it, how much faith should one put in Gerber's listing of artists in cover and inside art chores? Thank you.

They don't look like Baker faces to me, but I'm not an expert on identifying his work.

Did Baker do work outside of the Iger studio? Did Iger do work for St. John?

I think that cover is terrific... I'd like to know the artist as well.

They don't look like Baker faces to me, but I'm not an expert on identifying his work.

Did Baker do work outside of the Iger studio? Did Iger do work for St. John?

I think that cover is terrific... I'd like to know the artist as well.

I got around to checking. Overstreet credits Baker with the cover art. I'm no Baker expert by a long shot either, but I think he worked for Fox, Fiction House, and maybe even an occasional Atlas story, too.

[..] maybe even an occasional Atlas story, too.

Atlas Tales put the number of suspected Baker stories in Atlas books at, at least, 42. Goes to show that pinning down Matt Baker as an artist is harder than what one would think! Thank you for looking it up. Should we run a mini-poll to see what people think? I vote this is not Baker but am willing to be proven wrong.

OK, it's been almost 24 hours since the poll started, so on with the posting! A whopping 5 votes with 4 yays & 1 nay.

I voted 'yes' just because Overstreet credits him, & since I'm no real Baker expert I'd give them the benefit of the doubt this time around. The cover looks close enough to some of his other work for me.

I thought it would be a nice jab to put "Overstreet don't know diddly" in there because I am certainly no OSG apologist or fanboy, even though I am siding with them on this occasion. In fact, I'm usually against them when it comes to their price quotes for mid-low pch, which I feel they have way too high & are irresponsibly slow to adjust downward, as many of you know.

Maybe one of the very knowledgable "art-spotters" like adamstrange could chime in with an opinion on this cover? gossip.gif