• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Undead Thread: Pre-Code Horror
21 21

Favorite Pre-Code Publisher  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite Pre-Code Publisher

10,226 posts in this topic

No but I saw them sitting unbagged on John McLaughlin's floor once. He had a half a dozen cats that had free reign of his house so I wasn't surprised when I heard about them. Just piles of them. He was offering triple guide for them all over So Cal at the time. Sounds high maybe but many of them were well under $10. each in guide. McLaughlin was a VERY wealthy trust fund boy so money meant nothing to him.

That's the problem with some 50s church copies of any given book. Short of buying one from chuck back in the day, were they date coded? Were they generally immaculate as early church issues are, or less so? Some were bought second hand? Questions, questions. I have an issue of crypt that I think could be church, but not enough to say with any confidence.

Most of the ones I bought had no markings but do have "that smell". They are also incrediblely glossy and fresh. There is also a "feel" to them. I asked Adamstrange's opinion when he was here a while ago. He's had a lot of them and knows how to tell. If you are familiar with the ped youn can apparently tell pretty quickly. Most of mine are un-stabbed as I bought them. I have a few others I bought from Redbeard that Edgar obviously bought second hand.

I remember the guy that got The Dead Who Walk but he parted with it long ago and doesn't remember to who. You gotta remember back then, in those days there were no pedigrees. People in the know just knew when they came from Chuckie what they were.

You have some pretty books! :luhv:

Thanks robotman, and adamstrange! Jimmers, I've always clenched my teeth at the cat pee story. What a waste of beautiful books. Ordinarily I'd try multiple years in a sealed bag with charcoal, but not sure if even that can combat being directly saturated with cat pee. Worth a try, but maybe a chemist could advise a better way. As to rippling, I'd try and press it. Regardless, in my collection there'd be no room for a cat pee copy, mile high or no. What a waste and poor regard for nice books on the part of McLaughlin.

To him, most of that stuff was dreck. He had a first edition of Frankenstein autographed by the author. Many early monster movie posters, full runs of mint pulps including Weird Tales. A wonderful copy of the All Story first Tarzan, many first edition books like Wizard of Oz, Alice in Wonderland ect. Yes, it was very sad. He was a very sad guy. When he died, his "girlfriend" sold off lots of his stuff. The only other collection that impressed me more was Forrey Ackerman's.

Shame though that he couldn't be bothered to protect any and all stuff from cats on the loose, regardless of his personal issues. Probably not the only thing loose in that house. If peeing on stacks of books was OK with him, why not let the cats sharpen their claws on the posters and first editions? Sheeesh. Takes all kinds.

Thanks robotman, and adamstrange! Jimmers, I've always clenched my teeth at the cat pee story. What a waste of beautiful books. Ordinarily I'd try multiple years in a sealed bag with charcoal, but not sure if even that can combat being directly saturated with cat pee. Worth a try, but maybe a chemist could advise a better way. As to rippling, I'd try and press it. Regardless, in my collection there'd be no room for a cat pee copy, mile high or no. What a waste and poor regard for nice books on the part of McLaughlin.

I was a little gunshy about picking up a catpee Church, but I am glad I did. No smell at all, though knowing where the stain came from is a little gross. The electric colors more than make up for it.

This one didn't get hit nearly as hard as the Punch 12.

punch%2019_zpsgne9orfo.jpg

Electric color is putting in mildly. That one hurts my eyes. Other than the pee stain, I bet the pages are bone white. I'd be all over those cat pee Churches. Lord knows I have bought WAY worse. Speaking of sad Church books. How about all the lovely Friction House books Burrell Rowe stored in his hot Texas garage. I'd rather have a mild cat pee Church than one with brown pages...

Electric color is putting in mildly. That one hurts my eyes. Other than the pee stain, I bet the pages are bone white. I'd be all over those cat pee Churches. Lord knows I have bought WAY worse. Speaking of sad Church books. How about all the lovely Friction House books Burrell Rowe stored in his hot Texas garage. I'd rather have a mild cat pee Church than one with brown pages...

Haven't heard about those, but sounds like a shame.

The Punch does still have nice pages. :cloud9:

I got you but if you didn't know it was pee and didn't smell it would just be a simple water stain... I have rat chew and bug chew books , taped ones, cover less, missing pages, torn, ripped and stomped on. About the only line I draw is brittle, moldy or stinky. That Church Punch, for the right price would go right in my box (after I slabbed it)

I got you but if you didn't know it was pee and didn't smell it would just be a simple water stain... I have rat chew and bug chew books , taped ones, cover less, missing pages, torn, ripped and stomped on. About the only line I draw is brittle, moldy or stinky. That Church Punch, for the right price would go right in my box (after I slabbed it)

Agreed!