• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Undead Thread: Pre-Code Horror
21 21

Favorite Pre-Code Publisher  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite Pre-Code Publisher

10,233 posts in this topic

On 4/17/2023 at 4:25 PM, Hap Hazard said:

I picked up this issue years ago with the idea I would up grade, as the years have gone by this has become less likely.

marvel tales95 001.jpg

So that's the one RM seems to be missing.  You have a strong hand here, hold out for a nosebleed price from him.  :wink:

Can anyone recommend the pre-code horror comic series, EERIE? I saw a collection of 18 issues on Kindle for $7.99 and was thinking of picking it up (apologies if anyone is offended by digital comic reading!). There's so many pre-code horror comics and I know from sampling them over the years that not all are created equally. I'm not real knowledgeable about many beyond the most heralded publications, so any advice would be most welcome. Thanks. 

EERIE comic.jpg

On 4/19/2023 at 7:25 AM, Professor Echo said:

Can anyone recommend the pre-code horror comic series, EERIE? I saw a collection of 18 issues on Kindle for $7.99 and was thinking of picking it up (apologies if anyone is offended by digital comic reading!). There's so many pre-code horror comics and I know from sampling them over the years that not all are created equally. I'm not real knowledgeable about many beyond the most heralded publications, so any advice would be most welcome. Thanks. 

EERIE comic.jpg

As a very long time PCH and Avon collector, other than mostly the covers, I find most of them somewhat “lacking” content wise. That is especially if one seeks the more over the top PCH content.

I recently just picked up this issue. Mostly for the great Woody cover. Contents were nothing to write home about. But hard to be disapointed in the cover.

So maybe, buy a few originals that you like the covers of and read reprints until you find issues you really like. There are some with both cover and content but it is expensive trial and error. 

On 4/19/2023 at 8:32 AM, Jayman said:

Eerie # 6.jpg

Outstanding cover. One I have never owned and still on my want list so I can’t speak about the content inside. I think, in general, that Avons are good candidates for slabbing. Many times the cover is the best part. There are reprints available if you are curious about content. 

On 4/19/2023 at 7:25 AM, Professor Echo said:

EERIE comic.jpg

As RM suggested, Eerie's are OK, but nothing really to write home about.  Avon's are somewhat tame compared to certain other PCH publishers.  I have most of the run, myself.  Go here to read them, before buying any;  https://comicbookplus.com/?cid=952