• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Undead Thread: Pre-Code Horror
21 21

Favorite Pre-Code Publisher  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite Pre-Code Publisher

10,233 posts in this topic

On 12/21/2022 at 7:38 PM, mycomicshop said:

For what it's worth--this consignor sells plenty of books like this and knows his market well. He sold another copy a few months ago for $435: Tomb of Terror #16 PR complete interior, full length spine split. The current consigned copy that you're discussing is $690 on eBay, $600 on MCS, and the consignor is accepting offers, so maybe a buyer could end up with it for less than $600. And I like the colors better on this one than the previous one.

Sorry Conan, but this guy charges way too much for most of his books, and is completely inflexible on price.

With respect, and I'm not referring particularly to this book at all, but anyone could say ask several grand for a book and then sit on it forever and a day until the market eventually rises one day to match the asking price.

I have made many fair offers for various books for sale by this consignor in the past and given up bidding on his stuff. He lives in cloud cuckoo land. You really need to have a word with sellers who think their stuff is god's gift to the market place and are asking daft prices for books that would only attract rubes.  :screwy:

On 4/10/2023 at 9:51 AM, mycomicshop said:

The book in question was first posted October 2022. Under the updated consignment terms we'll be introducing soon, a golden age book like that would have 12 months where the consignor has full flexibility to price however they want, after which we'd begin requiring either automatic monthly 5% reductions, auction, or return to the owner. That's the mechanism that will insure that books that are truly priced too high to find a buyer will eventually reach a price where somebody bites.

Seems like a good adjustment to your terms. (thumbsu 

On 4/10/2023 at 7:51 AM, mycomicshop said:

Without making any judgment about whether his prices are fair or too high relative to market, I know what volume this seller sells and it's substantial, so he is finding buyers for plenty of his books.

I'm a lot quicker to agree something is overpriced when it's readily available silver age or golden age, and more flexible when there's little on the market. Right now the book in question is the only one on MCS and the only one on eBay, and only a handful of sales have been tracked by GPA over the past year or so.

The book in question was first posted October 2022. Under the updated consignment terms we'll be introducing soon, a golden age book like that would have 12 months where the consignor has full flexibility to price however they want, after which we'd begin requiring either automatic monthly 5% reductions, auction, or return to the owner. That's the mechanism that will insure that books that are truly priced too high to find a buyer will eventually reach a price where somebody bites.

Looks like it sold, so I guess the price wasn't too high after all. 

The present market seems to be absolutely on fire for PCH; even rags are fetching several hundred dollars in many cases.

On 4/10/2023 at 2:38 PM, fifties said:

Looks like it sold, so I guess the price wasn't too high after all. 

The present market seems to be absolutely on fire for PCH; even rags are fetching several hundred dollars in many cases.

The $600 Tomb of Terror #16 is still there, if that's what you're talking about.

On 4/7/2023 at 7:46 PM, Raze said:

I dont know why Ive never posted in this thread?! Ive read it for awhile! Well Ive posted this in a few threads so why not here?!!

Got this one on ebay. Forgot I bid on it and won...that never happens with books I really want! I didn't know anything about this book when I bought it, and come to find out it has a Nazi death camp story with human flaying. The rest of the contents were enjoyable, Also has a cool cover.

Scan 2023-4-7 16.34.50.jpg

Nice score! Love that one. Such sick contents and what a cover!

Many years ago I was at the antique mall that I had a case in. Was talking to the owner just as a lady with a paper bag full of old comics walked in. Mostly horror and crime comics in very nice condition. She had just found them in a closet in an old house. We worked out a price that made us happy and I took home the bag.

This issue was in the pile and was one of them that I was instantly drawn to. 

On 4/10/2023 at 6:00 PM, Robot Man said:

Nice score! Love that one. Such sick contents and what a cover!

Many years ago I was at the antique mall that I had a case in. Was talking to the owner just as a lady with a paper bag full of old comics walked in. Mostly horror and crime comics in very nice condition. She had just found them in a closet in an old house. We worked out a price that made us happy and I took home the bag.

This issue was in the pile and was one of them that I was instantly drawn to. 

I always confuse that one with Tomb of Terror #9.  I love both of them.  I did finally manage to get the Tomb of Terror #9 a while back, but still have this one on my list.