• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Clink starts tonight. Anyone else excited?

218 posts in this topic

Has anyone just put in your max bid and plan to forget about it until it's over? Or is that something that if you do it, you do on the day of the "live" auction.?
It can backfire, depending on what you put. If its on the high end a person(s) can slowly push your bid up tying more money up in that one piece, so that you can't risk bidding on other items you like that end earlier, where even then you might get outbid at the end.

Of course you can also risk doing a stupid money bid to ensure you get it, but where someone else can have the same idea, where you are now paying the highest known sale for that market.

It would of course be rude smart to put in a competitive bid in the first few days, as that could then block the rest of us from placing our tracking bids (if a second person did the same thing).

Fixed that one for you

GLWTS to all those selling. Some nice pieces!

I've considered selling with CLink in the past. My issue is: I pretty much frame everything (and to museum standards, which ain't cheap), so the thought of sending something across the border (expensive, sometimes risky) that may or may not hit reserve is prohibiting. Hopefully one day I can figure that out!

The problem is over 90% of buyers don't see any value in pre framed art, are unwilling to pay a premium, and even if the perception is that the frame is thrown in, if increased shipping fees are charged, the frame becomes an albatross a buyer will want junked to get the art removed and just send the artwork itself. So, you may be better off removing the art from your expensive frames and reusing the frames, which cold be easy if you have traditional 11 x 17 or twice up silver age art.

Question about reserves on clink. If your bid hits or exceeds the reserve, will it automatically update to that? Or do you need another bid to push you higher/closer to the reserve?

Yes, I believe if the starting bid is $1 with a $3,000 reserve and you bid $5,000, the status would be $3,000 and says reserve is met, then if others bid, you automatically get the next bid placed, but not to exceede your $5,000 maximum bid.

I do notice a lot of consignments with reserves.

I know a lot of buyers hate reserves because most sellers over value their pieces with pie in the sky wishful thinking reserve prices.

A common strategy on auctions with reserves is for buyers to totally refrain from bidding, then ComicLink, announces the reserve price it takes to hit the reserve on consignments with reserves not met, but at thatu point, the buying strategy is to totally refrain from bidding, assuming the piece is overpriced or can be had for less, let the auction end without hitting the reserve, then make the seller a lower price offer after the auction ends in hopes that the seller felt a reality check to the value of their consignment, and the buyer gets it for r a more reasonable lower price.

My motto for consignments is if I personally don't feel a piece can command the price I need, I don't sel with a reserve. There is such a negative stigma behind auctions with treserves. I am fine with $0 minimum no reservebids and allowing the market to

I've considered selling with CLink in the past. My issue is: I pretty much frame everything (and to museum standards, which ain't cheap), so the thought of sending something across the border (expensive, sometimes risky) that may or may not hit reserve is prohibiting. Hopefully one day I can figure that out!

The problem is over 90% of buyers don't see any value in pre framed art, are unwilling to pay a premium, and even if the perception is that the frame is thrown in, if increased shipping fees are charged, the frame becomes an albatross a buyer will want junked to get the art removed and just send the artwork itself. So, you may be better off removing the art from your expensive frames and reusing the frames, which cold be easy if you have traditional 11 x 17 or twice up silver age art.

Ditto to what he said. I have a closet full of older museum frames for this very reason. After doing this for a while it caused me to reevaluate what I chose to throw in a frame and what went up on the wall. It made me a much choosier art buyer, as the only things I buy and frame are now definite wall hanging keepers. Otherwise the frame is a total waste of money.

I know a lot of buyers hate reserves because most sellers over value their pieces with pie in the sky wishful thinking reserve prices.

A common strategy on auctions with reserves is for buyers to totally refrain from bidding, then ComicLink, announces the reserve price it takes to hit the reserve on consignments with reserves not met, but at thatu point, the buying strategy is to totally refrain from bidding, assuming the piece is overpriced or can be had for less, let the auction end without hitting the reserve, then make the seller a lower price offer after the auction ends in hopes that the seller felt a reality check to the value of their consignment, and the buyer gets it for r a more reasonable lower price.

My motto for consignments is if I personally don't feel a piece can command the price I need, I don't sel with a reserve. There is such a negative stigma behind auctions with treserves. I am fine with $0 minimum no reservebids and allowing the market to

I agree. If you are going to reserve everything why not just consign it? Of course if you reserve it in an auction you do have the chance of beating the reserve price. Who's to say that the Frazetta piece At The Earth's Core would have crossed that high price line if the reserve didn't put it there to begin with. It is fascinating the different ways one could approach all of this. Did I overshoot on the reserve? would it have done better without one? etc, etc, etc.

I agree. If you are going to reserve everything why not just consign it? Of course if you reserve it in an auction you do have the chance of beating the reserve price. Who's to say that the Frazetta piece At The Earth's Core would have crossed that high price line if the reserve didn't put it there to begin with. It is fascinating the different ways one could approach all of this. Did I overshoot on the reserve? would it have done better without one? etc, etc, etc.

Some good conversation here regarding reserves. Let me throw in another thing to think about. I've got two pieces with reserves in the current Clink auction, both by the same artist, and one who's work I've been collecting for nearly 15 years. I've owned over 100 pages/covers/splashes by this artist and I think I have a pretty good understanding with regard to FMV of his pieces.

So, why did I place a reserve on these two pieces? Simply this: prices for his artwork have become incredibly volatile recently, with several examples of highs and lows in the last few Clink and HA auctions. One of the pieces has already met (and exceeded) the reserve. The other has quite a way to go.

I did this recently, not because I didn't like the frame, but because I didn't know the materials used to frame it, and had no good place to display it.

This auction marks my first foray into selling through Clink. I was very impressed with the customer service, I just hope I'm equally impressed with the results! :wishluck:

GLWTS. Care to disclose what items?

Thanks! I have two Justice League covers in the auction, the #4 by Maguire and #40 by AH.

Nice. I checked them out and will keep an eye on them. Any thoughts at where they should close? That JL 4 cover makes me laugh. Same pose as the Romita ASM 164 cover also for sale.

Not a fan of the CL reserve process. When I see reserves, I move along

Me too, unless the reserve has been met, which seems less frequent these days, I don't feel the reserves of today reflect the market value, and is a seller basically trying to have their cake and eat it too, by setting a price they want and hoping for a bidding war to get more.

To the point of another comment of, why not just consign it then? I say, exactly!

I get it, with price volatility and if you have skeptical opinions on of at a no reserve auction, you may either take a bath with a major loss from your cost basis, or that you only want to sell the piece for a certain amount or more, otherwise are just as happy keeping the piece, but then I think maybe the auction format is maybe not always the best forum to sell those pieces.

I only consign pieces I am at peace with knowing the market and what it can sell for, where my cost basis is low enough where I can break even or profit, as I do think there is a huge psychological advantage when you put up a piece with no reserve, that bidders know, by hook or by crook, it will sell, inspiring bidding activity and competitive bidding wars.

My take on some pieces is "sell no wine, before it's time" in that many pieces are not ready to be offered for sale yet for proper aging to pull profits off of the table. There are less fast flipping opportunities in OA, and the "rule of 25" where patience to sell later does pay off.

I did this recently, not because I didn't like the frame, but because I didn't know the materials used to frame it, and had no good place to display it.

A lot of collectors prefer no frames due to not having room to display pieces or the art does not fit the decor of a home, and the issue of storage and space a framed piece takes vs using a portfolio whic can be around 50x more room (compare the dimensions of a single framed piece vs an Itoya art portfolio that holds 48 pieces in 24 pages).

I also like art presented without a frame because a frame hides the back side and sometimes edges and corners, so defects can be hidden.

Plus, if not properly packaged and handled, if in a glass frame, if it breaks, the frame can damage the artwork pretty bad with shards of glass and twisted metal impacting the delicate paper.

The prices on the comics I was interested in have driven me back to just placing bids on the pages I want. You didn't used to see jumps in pricing like that until the last day or two of a Comic Link auction. I'm thinking a couple of the ones I want are going to fly under the radar. This is a very strong auction for Comic Link.

The prices on the comics I was interested in have driven me back to just placing bids on the pages I want. You didn't used to see jumps in pricing like that until the last day or two of a Comic Link auction. I'm thinking a couple of the ones I want are going to fly under the radar. This is a very strong auction for Comic Link.

If its not too personal, wondering which items you abandoned (now that prices got to a certain level)

Clearly not expecting to hear about any you are still considering.

This auction marks my first foray into selling through Clink. I was very impressed with the customer service, I just hope I'm equally impressed with the results! :wishluck:

GLWTS. Care to disclose what items?

Thanks! I have two Justice League covers in the auction, the #4 by Maguire and #40 by AH.

Nice. I checked them out and will keep an eye on them. Any thoughts at where they should close? That JL 4 cover makes me laugh. Same pose as the Romita ASM 164 cover also for sale.

Not a huge fan of the between the legs shots but I've seen it work well once or twice.

For her thighs only.

for-your-eyes-only.jpg