• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pedigree trying to sell art now?
3 3

229 posts in this topic

Mitch,

I didn't think you were one of these people who have nothing better to do with their time but person_without_enough_empathy and moan on these boards! Are you really going to go as far as say such silly things? Doug had a bad situation happen to him almost 20 years ago! Since then he started by himself Pedigree Comics. He has turned that business into a very successful business and is thought of very highly by dealers and customers alike. Knowing me as long as you do, and after all the business I have given you over the many many years........do you think I would go into a business with someone I didnt trust...or didnt like the way he did business? So you have to announce you arent "going to bid or consign" on such a silly platfrom like this for the world to read? I thought you had more class than that. Shame on you.

Randy

I think you should probably stick to the -script about the auctions.

As Joe said, nothing "Happened to" Doug. And it was 10 years ago.

The way you're posting it feels like there are people in this thread who may have more knowledge about what occurred, to whom, and when.

And shaming Mitch of all things?

Really, the -script, stick to it.

Ummmm...it didnt HAPPEN to him..that was self inflicted

Again people can make up their own minds,

if the art is listed on the Pedigree 'exchange' then you know the price you can make an offer and it works like Comiclink etc

if it is in an auction....some may have reservations about that.

Doug is a nice guy, he is hard working but the collecting community does question the ethics based on documented past activities.

If this is such a silly platform/forum why choose to announce it here?

I'm with you.

I don't know Doug, but if one got himself into a mess where he was actively taking money from people and not fulfilling his duty to them, then sure people are going to have reservations.

I know it's easy to judge when one is outside the situation, but I believe people don't get barred if something questionable wasn't going on.

I for one appreciate the information that was brought forth in this post and will decide if I want to participate based on the discussions that I see on this very forum.

It also doesn't do one favors to join a forum and then immediately blast it for where people like to share information. That does not make me want to join in the auction even more.

Ummmm...it didnt HAPPEN to him..that was self inflicted

Again people can make up their own minds,

if the art is listed on the Pedigree 'exchange' then you know the price you can make an offer and it works like Comiclink etc

if it is in an auction....some may have reservations about that.

Doug is a nice guy, he is hard working but the collecting community does question the ethics based on documented past activities.

If this is such a silly platform/forum why choose to announce it here?

I'm with you.

I don't know Doug, but if one got himself into a mess where he was actively taking money from people and not fulfilling his duty to them, then sure people are going to have reservations.

I know it's easy to judge when one is outside the situation, but I believe people don't get barred if something questionable wasn't going on.

I for one appreciate the information that was brought forth in this post and will decide if I want to participate based on the discussions that I see on this very forum.

It also doesn't do one favors to join a forum and then immediately blast it for where people like to share information. That does not make me want to join in the auction even more.

If you read the links you'll see there is no controversy or denial of the actions, it's undisputed in the record.

Agree, but I think it's fair to highlight past history (so any prospective bidders are fully-aware of the background to the vendor in question).

If anyone comes unstuck, the first question they'll ask is, "Why didn't anyone warn me of the seller's reputation".

Yes. There will be a daily exchange as well where you can list your art with a buy it now price and also be able to get bids to accept, counter, or decline. Thanks for asking.

from past experience the Pedigree site does work very well with this sort of transaction etc

appreciate the info

I checked out the Pedigree auctions ending soon, and was somewhat surprised that so many auctions have reserves and that hardly any have been met.

Then I realized I've seen a lot of these pieces before. A high percentage of the pieces are coollines stock. Still up on the coollines website.

The whole point of an auction generally is to sell pieces at what current market dictates. Why have your first art auction be full of product from sellers known not to accept anywhere near market, with reserves most likely reflecting that?

It's just strange.

Bit on two pieces which had no reserve. Suddenly, a reserve. I'm afraid that's enough to prevent me from bidding again.

I saw that exact thing happen on a piece I was interested in. No reserve was showing on it and as soon as someone bid it went to "reserve not met". Not at all a great way to start off your site for bidding in my opinion.

There are items I looked at earlier today with no bids, that now have thousands of dollars in bids with reserves still not met. I can't help but feel this is just some big price discovery game with no real intention to sell a lot of the pieces. And since nothing is ever deleted from the coollines site, unless somebody posts their winnings on CAF, it's going to be hard to tell what sold, what didn't, or what was just a fun shill game.

So, is the consensus opinion generally, in the world of auctions the good guys who are trustworthy, reliable and honorable are:

ComicLink

Heritage

Comic Connect

Then, caveat emptor with eBay since it's independent sellers.

And

Pedigree is as sketchy as Craig's List, and barely worth bothering to look at or into?

I just heard of their auctions, but was wondering about 'em since these msg boards were pretty silent where with ComicLink and Heritage, usually there's threads of positive hype and general anticipation and excitement.

It would be good to know if either Pedigree is a waste of time, or worst yet, if they're shady in any way to not even apply/register to bid and give them any credit card info, personal data, etc.

I can't speak to Pedigree in general, but when there're pieces already priced two to three times what similar or better pieces have gone for in the last year, and reserves still aren't met... strange things are afoot at the circle K.

I have no doubt some of the prices will just be used as another bargaining tool down the road. "Oh, you're offering $4K for this $3K piece? Well we were offered $9K already at Pedigree..."