• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Seller cancels order for comic I won after 24 hours

528 posts in this topic

There is no "rule of law" involved here, and there is no eBay rule, either. Sellers are not forced to sell an item they don't wish to sell. They retain the right to the property, as the owner, until such time as there is an AGREEMENT reached between both/all parties involved.

Listing an item for auction is NOT that agreement, for reasons stated above and elsewhere. And there's clearly no agreement between the parties, here.

No rule or law is going to force someone to sell something if they don't want to sell it. You can TAKE it from them...but that's not selling, that's theft by force of law.

Perspective is wanting.

That's great to hear. I can't wait to see what happens when someone lists a book on this board for super cheap requesting someone use the take it sign....see it happen....and then the buyer goes ---nah....changed my mind. :whistle:

When, in the nearly 15 year history of these boards, has any seller (I assume you meant "seller" where you said "buyer") been forced to complete a transaction here...?

Never.

Peer pressured, sure. Lectured, oh yes. Threatened with the PL, absolutely. Put on people's "do not deal with" list, you bet. After all, that's what these mechanisms are for. The issue, however, isn't that the seller did something crummy...it's that once the seller says "no dice", that's it. No one is going to be forced to sell something against their will.

...in my mind once someone agrees to list the book and someone agrees to buy the book....it's a done deal--it is an agreement that is binding in my mind. There is a point of no return. And this also goes for the loser buyers that hit BINs and then have buyer remorse.

Of course. I agree with you. But what you or I or anyone but the seller thinks is immaterial. And hopping up and down about it on the internet isn't going to change that.

I emailed the seller, in an unexpected turn of events he agreed to sell me the comic. But has not taken down the new auction yet. Weird.

Glad I cried about this like Veruca Salt now (Thanks RMA) meh

Well that's over now. lol. He changed his mind again. Thanks to everyone for the advice and the postal situation. Just got a full refund. Guy stinks.

:popcorn:

PS. I only said Veruca Salt would be proud, not that anyone was crying like her. I don't think she cried in the whole movie. She DID, however, get to sing a nifty song and ride the garbage chute.

Listing an item for auction is NOT that agreement, for reasons stated above and elsewhere. And there's clearly no agreement between the parties, here.

...in my mind once someone agrees to list the book and someone agrees to buy the book....it's a done deal--it is an agreement that is binding in my mind. There is a point of no return. And this also goes for the loser buyers that hit BINs and then have buyer remorse.

Of course. I agree with you

(shrug)

I emailed the seller, in an unexpected turn of events he agreed to sell me the comic. But has not taken down the new auction yet. Weird.

Well that's over now. lol. He changed his mind again. Thanks to everyone for the advice and the postal situation. Just got a full refund. Guy stinks.

PS. I only said Veruca Salt would be proud, not that anyone was crying like her. I don't think she cried in the whole movie. She DID, however, get to sing a nifty song and ride the garbage chute.

I am aware of the song. I am a fan. meh and yes I did.

2011-05-01155239-1.jpg

Of course. I agree with you

(shrug)

meh

Put those statements back in the context from which you pulled them, then let's talk. And we can discuss nuance, along the way.

I'll start:

1. Listing an item for auction is NOT that agreement, for the reasons that I stated previously. After all...there are valid reasons (and "valid" reasons) for an auction to end and the seller not ultimately sell to the buyer.

2. There was clearly no agreement with the parties involved, here, as is evident, regardless of the "implicit agreement" of the ended auction/high bidder.

3. I agree with sterling takeyourlemons in principle, and it was conciliatory. These issues aren't strictly black and white, clearly, and agreeing with someone in principle doesn't mean that there aren't exceptions.

Come on, now.

So all may be good. But I am not sure yet. :popcorn:

Imagine the guy finishes out the new auction. Sells the comic to someone else. And sends me an empty box with a tracking number. :tonofbricks:

HI FRANK NO PROB WILL DO. AGAIN SORRY BUT I PANICKED DUE TO MAIL SITUATION. WILL MAIL OUT TODAY WED SEPT 14 TAKE CARE CHUCK

In a message dated 9/14/2016 3:15:22 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, frank writes:

I do still want it. I see you relisted it. Can you take that down and send the comic.

Sent from my iPhone

On Sep 14, 2016, at 2:35 PM, wrote:

HI FRANK THANKS FOR EMAIL. CHECKED MY PAYPAL. THANKS FOR PAYMENT. IF YOU STILL WANT IT LET ME KNOW. YOU PAID $18.00 MAIL COST WHICH INCLUDES A TRACKING NUMBER. WILL MAIL OUT TODAY AS IM ON VACATION. WE HAVE AN ONGOING ISSUE WITH CANADA POST AND ITS UNION CUPW. THEY ARE IN A SRTIKE LOCKOUT SITUATION. I WANT TO MAIL OUT EBAY SALES WHILE THE GETTING IS GOOD. PLEASE LET ME KNOW THANKS CHUCK

In a message dated 9/14/2016 2:30:16 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, frank writes:

I payed for the comic because I won it. And wanted it. Why did you cancel the auction. Makes no sense, why you canceled it.

So at this point, it looks like you were going to get the book. My take on the phony Canada Post union part is that he was simply trying to whitewash things; ppl do this all the time, both in person and on the net.

HI FRANK JUST AGREED TO YOUR REFUND. THANKS AGAIN AND TAKE CARE CHUCK

In a message dated 9/14/2016 5:35:06 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, frank writes:

Hi,

My friend lives in Canada and does not know anything about a postal lockout. I think it's strange you have not removed the new auction for the comic.

Just so you know. I am a Police Officer. If your attempting to defraud me, it may be a silly move. If you do send me a package, I will open it in front of the Post Master at my local post office and a postal Policeman, and make a video recording of me opening the box. If the box is empty and your attempting something silly. You will be charged with Mail Fraud. Maybe I am being paranoid, and if I am, I am truly sorry. But something does not seem right.

Frank

OMG, did you ever eff this up.

Why didn't you plan on doing all that WITHOUT telling him? That way, if he was to defraud you, you'd have the proof, and likewise if he was legit, you'd have your book.

I think his postal comment made you a bit too suspicious. Sorry, but I don't blame him one bit for backing out of the transaction after what you told him.

Imagine the guy finishes out the new auction. Sells the comic to someone else. And sends me an empty box with a tracking number. :tonofbricks:

HI FRANK NO PROB WILL DO. AGAIN SORRY BUT I PANICKED DUE TO MAIL SITUATION. WILL MAIL OUT TODAY WED SEPT 14 TAKE CARE CHUCK

I do still want it. I see you relisted it. Can you take that down and send the comic.

Sent from my iPhone

HI FRANK THANKS FOR EMAIL. CHECKED MY PAYPAL. THANKS FOR PAYMENT. IF YOU STILL WANT IT LET ME KNOW. YOU PAID $18.00 MAIL COST WHICH INCLUDES A TRACKING NUMBER. WILL MAIL OUT TODAY AS IM ON VACATION. WE HAVE AN ONGOING ISSUE WITH CANADA POST AND ITS UNION CUPW. THEY ARE IN A SRTIKE LOCKOUT SITUATION. I WANT TO MAIL OUT EBAY SALES WHILE THE GETTING IS GOOD. PLEASE LET ME KNOW THANKS CHUCK

I payed for the comic because I won it. And wanted it. Why did you cancel the auction. Makes no sense, why you canceled it.

So at this point, it looks like you were going to get the book. My take on the phony Canada Post union part is that he was simply trying to whitewash things; ppl do this all the time, both in person and on the net.

Hi,

My friend lives in Canada and does not know anything about a postal lockout. I think it's strange you have not removed the new auction for the comic.

Just so you know. I am a Police Officer. If your attempting to defraud me, it may be a silly move. If you do send me a package, I will open it in front of the Post Master at my local post office and a postal Policeman, and make a video recording of me opening the box. If the box is empty and your attempting something silly. You will be charged with Mail Fraud. Maybe I am being paranoid, and if I am, I am truly sorry. But something does not seem right.

Frank

Why didn't you plan on doing all that WITHOUT telling him? That way, if he was to defraud you, you'd have the proof, and likewise if he was legit, you'd have your book.

I think his postal comment made you a bit too suspicious. Sorry, but I don't blame him one bit for backing out of the transaction after what you told him.

Frankie did the right thing. Just be done with this bozo Frank, another book will be around in due time.

Sent from my iPhone

Hi,

Frank

Frankie did the right thing. Just be done with this bozo Frank, another book will be around in due time.

Thanks Dave, dealing with that guy was getting old. Just didn't feel like getting an empty box. Which I 100% think he would have done. Seeing him back out of the deal the second time made me laugh.

Sent from my iPhone

Hi,

Frank

Thanks Dave, dealing with that guy was getting old. Just didn't feel like getting an empty box. Which I 100% think he would have done. Seeing him back out of the deal the second time made me laugh.

...it's kind of sad in a way..... this eBayer, scared to death that he's going to miss out on 30 or 40 more dollars, has closed the door on a customer who has bought literally thousands of books....many on eBay...... some people just can't see the forest for the trees.... GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Sent from my iPhone

Hi,

Frank

...it's kind of sad in a way..... this eBayer, scared to death that he's going to miss out on 30 or 40 more dollars, has closed the door on a customer who has bought literally thousands of books....many on eBay...... some people just can't see the forest for the trees.... GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Sure, but where does the seller draw the line in choosing whom to deal with? So a customer has bought thousands of books. I've bought thousands of books, too, but there are people who don't want to deal with me, because I've been a picky customer (sometimes rightfully, sometimes not.) And there are people who have bought thousands of books that *I* don't want to deal with, either.

I mean, let's be honest, here...the guy was threatened with all sorts of repercussions if he didn't do what he was told. That's the very definition of a "problem customer." Justified? Sure, that argument can be made...but just based on what we've seen, the seller's comments and actions didn't merit that kind of "you better be on the up and up, or I'm going to charge you with Mail Fraud" response.

Anybody who received that would block...rightly so...and move on.

And, again...where is the responsibility of the buyer to research the seller before choosing to do business with them...? How come no one else has brought that up in the entire conversation...? The seller had all sorts of red flags BEFORE listing this book. Why isn't that a factor worth discussion...?

Sent from my iPhone

Hi,

Frank

On what basis do you make this claim? You're suggesting that someone would "100%" defraud you, based on....?

His DSRs are one thing, but nothing in his communication that you've posted suggests that he would do this. Crummy seller, yes. Criminal seller...?