• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Seller cancels order for comic I won after 24 hours

528 posts in this topic

If he requires payment within 24 hours he should say so in his listing. Ebay doesn't require it within 24 or 48 hours, etc. I don't think that's a reasonable demand anyway. An auction ends at some odd time of day. It's not like a BIN.

I had this way early in my time on ebay in like 1999 or 2000 when seller's routinely left negs for B.S. reasons. I had a seller leave a neg for me (and cancel the transaction) because I did not confirm immediately that I was planning on paying for the item and that I would be sending him the check/money order (no paypal then, or most people didn't have it). This was, of course, because I had won an auction on some nice GA book for like 20% of guide and he wanted to back out.

A few years back I won a low grade AF15 CGC for about $2k under market on ebay. I placed a low snipe, was in a meeting and by the time I got to my desk I had a winning bid notification. I couldn't have paid faster. Let me tell you I literally got nothing else done that day as I paid the guy within 2 min of receiving the notice and spent the rest of the afternoon trying to get hold of the seller to confirm receipt of payment and shipping. Took me 4 days and a call to ebay cs to finally get hold of the seller and confirm payment and shipping info. Had to call him directly. He expressed disappointment at how low it had sold for but honored the sale.

If it's worth it pay right away, stay on top of it and if necessary get ebay involved. The seller can still try and reneg but you've eliminated a major excuse.

Only way he could cancel was to have you agree to cancel I thought. Did you get a strike for no pay?

I recently cancelled and eBay told me since he hadn't paid that even if he left me a negative they would erase it. Not the same circumstances as the OP, but I was told over the phone I could cancel without penalty.

You can be reported here:

http://contact.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ContactUs&wftype=2016&rcode=IV%25P20073&subject=Seller%20Non-Performance&bcrumb=+Home+%3E+Help+%3E%A0Rules+and+Policies%A0%3E%A0Rules+for+Sellers%A0%3E%A0Seller+Non-PerformanceRules+and+Policies%A0%3E%A0Rules+for+Sellers%A0%3E%A0Listing+Rules+Overview%A0%3E%A0Seller+Non-Performance&instruction=&expirationDate=

And receive a non-performing seller "strike" which I think these days means it is counted as a transaction defect, which affects your seller rating.

A hit to his seller rating will cause him to lose much more money than he could ever get for the Millie book.His listings will be severely limited in dollar amounts and will also be pushed lower in search results.

Last year I had trouble shipping out a few orders on time, that caused my seller rating to go from "above average" to "below standard".

eBay also cut my listing limits down by about 90%.

That basically put me out of business, far as eBay sales were concerned.

It took MONTHS for eBay to bump me back up to above standard.

That is what should be done to this d-bag.

"We want to let you know that niagaracuriosityshop cancelled your order and mentioned the reason as I'm out of stock or can't fulfill the order for another reason."

I'd message eBay. You may not get the item but they should make the seller aware they cannot operate this way. The seller relisted the item so it's not like he was out of stock.

Correct. The way I read this message is that the BUYER can receive NEGATIVE actions from eBay based on what the seller did, and a little over a day to cancel is totally unprofessional. And given the item is back up, eBay should be siding with the buyer here--although ultimately...no one can FORCE the seller to do the right thing here.

I'm however curious that the last thing I would ask the seller is "are you going to send me the comic" but rather "why the hell you canceled the transaction? I am going to complete this transaction". The seller didn't like the ending price and just decided not to complete the transaction with you. We all know that. So, since you didn't press for answers, your position looks weak. If you have the time to spend, go for it...personally I'd mark the seller as off-limits, get my refund and move on.

The new auction has a lot of heat on it already, so this looks like shilly business to me.

Out of curiosity, have you test bid on anything to see if he blocked you? Might speak to his motives, but I'd just walk away at this point.

Why is there such a call to force someone to sell something to someone that they clearly don't wish to sell to?

The guy doesn't want the business. Your right as a consumer is to go to someone who does. There are plenty of people who do.

He doesn't want the sale. He's quite clearly a questionable seller, which should have been noticed BEFORE bidding. Look at their DSRs. They're a mess.

Is the seller right? Outside of a legitimate reason not to sell to this buyer specifically, no. But so what? It's their property, they should be able to not sell it to whomever they wish, for whatever reason they wish.

All this sturm and drang about punishing the seller...don't you think the seller's own personality is punishment enough...?

Why is there such a call to force someone to sell something to someone that they clearly don't wish to sell to?

The guy doesn't want the business. Your right as a consumer is to go to someone who does. There are plenty of people who do.

He doesn't want the sale. He's quite clearly a questionable seller, which should have been noticed BEFORE bidding. Look at their DSRs. They're a mess.

Is the seller right? Outside of a legitimate reason not to sell to this buyer specifically, no. But so what? It's their property, they should be able to not sell it to whomever they wish, for whatever reason they wish.

All this sturm and drang about punishing the seller...don't you think the seller's own personality is punishment enough...?

Just bad business. And I wanted peoples opinion and to show what this ebay seller is doing. To warn others. Plus the notifications made me look like the one who did something wrong. By me paying.....it's now on him as to why he does not want to sell it to me.

Cause he is greedy and wants a higher price for it. Shame on him for listing it with no reserve in the first place.

When something like that comic is listed....I don't really research the seller....just get pulled in by something I rarely if ever saw for sale and bid.

Ironically, you do know that by causing attention with a thread like this if your intent was to really own this book that you in fact created a disservice to yourself if you wanted to bid in the follow up auction.

Anyway, enough typing. Get eBay engaged to intervene immediately (cause the auction is in progress) or deal with whatever comes.

Because rules, that's why. eBay rules, rule of law.

Ironically, you do know that by causing attention with a thread like this if your intent was to really own this book that you in fact created a disservice to yourself if you wanted to bid in the follow up auction.

Anyway, enough typing. Get eBay engaged to intervene immediately (cause the auction is in progress) or deal with whatever comes.

I suggested to ebay rep that they take that new auction down. They don't do that. They investigate and if they see him violate policy (which it seems he is) they give him a strike or something.

I would not bid on the same comic again from him. Let's take guesses on what it will end at. I say 240. Haha

He is violating ebay's policy. Kind of like violating paypals personal payments

There's multiple rules he's breaking. And I'm guessing he knows eBay's investigative prowess is as fast as a slug on a lazy Sunday morning. Although the mantra here is "No Quarter" I'm betting nothing will be done by ebay on this unfortunately.

If eBay cared about this kind of thing, Mile High would not be allowed to do business on eBay. I had 3 BIN's with them in a single month recently where they cancelled the order and refunded the money claiming they didn't have the item in stock, only to list the same item a few days later at a much higher price. I can't imagine I'm the only one this has happened to.

If eBay cared about this kind of thing, Mile High would not be allowed to do business on eBay. I had 3 BIN's with them in a single month recently where they cancelled the order and refunded the money claiming they didn't have the item in stock, only to list the same item a few days later at a much higher price. I can't imagine I'm the only one this has happened to.

Now THAT sir is a great question, and I agree the buyers have to get on eBay's posterior on this to hold them accountable. Of course, if these sellers stop getting buyers I'm betting the economic forces would correct this behavior quickly. Possibly the best thing buyers can do is pressure the platform, and refuse to give those that do this their business. The information here is flowing well, so we can identify this and if everyone does their part by refusing to provide revenue to these clowns they'd perhaps rethink something.

What eBay could do is disallow re-listing that item for x number of days. Let time be their enemy. Oh no--this impacts listing and FVF numbers....so yeah.

Now THAT sir is a great question, and I agree the buyers have to get on eBay's posterior on this to hold them accountable. Of course, if these sellers stop getting buyers I'm betting the economic forces would correct this behavior quickly.

To be honest, I basically gave up on them. I understand how the OP feels, but personally I would just put his name on the eBay ID's to avoid list and move on.

Because rules, that's why. eBay rules, rule of law.

There is no "rule of law" involved here, and there is no eBay rule, either. Sellers are not forced to sell an item they don't wish to sell. They retain the right to the property, as the owner, until such time as there is an AGREEMENT reached between both/all parties involved.

Listing an item for auction is NOT that agreement, for reasons stated above and elsewhere. And there's clearly no agreement between the parties, here.

No rule or law is going to force someone to sell something if they don't want to sell it. You can TAKE it from them...but that's not selling, that's theft by force of law.

Perspective is wanting.

You're comparing refusing to sell an item to actual theft of services...? As if the two are, in any way, equivalent, outside of your contention that they both "violate policy"...?

:facepalm:

Talk about entitlement. Amazing!

Show me that eBay policy. Link it.

Are you not aware that, though there is a penalty for it, sellers have the option to cancel a sale because they are out of stock..?

But isn't it a violation of "eBay policy" if the seller doesn't make with the goods...?

"But this seller isn't out of stock!!!" you may protest.

That's academic. The seller, to avoid all of this, could have simply said "oops. Sorry, I sold this somewhere else, and don't have it. Sorry about that!"

Would that change the situation materially? No.

The situation exists because someone is INSISTING that a seller make with the goods, because the buyer WANTS IT.

Veruca Salt would be pleased.

There's multiple rules he's breaking. And I'm guessing he knows eBay's investigative prowess is as fast as a slug on a lazy Sunday morning. Although the mantra here is "No Quarter" I'm betting nothing will be done by ebay on this unfortunately.

What are those "multiple rules"? Link?

Not questioning you...per se...but let's get some specificity on the table, here.