• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NOW VENOM #1 Gabriele Dell’Otto Color B&W Secret Variants
1 1

524 posts in this topic

It seems more likely that they don't have the time investment for every employee to scrutinize each book before they send it out. When I go to pick up new comics on wedensdays, it takes me a good 5 minutes per issue to pick out the one I want. If there's a pile of 10 or 20 to go through, it takes time if you want a 9.8. No employee is going to spend the time doing that for people especially when they have 3000 or so copies to sell.

I just have to add, it IS extremely common for new untouched books to be worse than 9.2 I see it every single week. The paper quality on these modern books is thin like toilet paper and will crack and color break on the lightest touches.

So your the guy I want strangle at my LCS? Could you at least grab a few copies instead of making me wait why you look thru the whole stack. doh!

All kidding aside I have a guy here locally that does that. Anymore I don't even wait I just grab them right in front of him.

It seems more likely that they don't have the time investment for every employee to scrutinize each book before they send it out. When I go to pick up new comics on wedensdays, it takes me a good 5 minutes per issue to pick out the one I want. If there's a pile of 10 or 20 to go through, it takes time if you want a 9.8. No employee is going to spend the time doing that for people especially when they have 3000 or so copies to sell.

I just have to add, it IS extremely common for new untouched books to be worse than 9.2 I see it every single week. The paper quality on these modern books is thin like toilet paper and will crack and color break on the lightest touches.

Dude, even if it's a one man operation, it's well worth their time to go through the 5/600 virgin 'secret' variants and pull the 9.8s. It should take maaaybe an hour to pull the best copies out of that size lot.

Yea, I agree. There's just too much financial incentive not to. They'll really reap the benefits a month or two later. Although I'd think it'd take more than an hour to go over 500 books, even if it took one guy 4 hours it'd be well worth it.

Jerome

Really the problem is this I think.

If you charge me $50(Just an example) for a book. And it comes 9.2 I am upset. Really upset if I bought more then one.

If you charge me $4 for a book and it comes in 9.2 I am not quite as upset.

Isn't that the difference in a nutshell? Limit your orders and keep backstock for unseen issues. This would cause you to make less money though, so see the conflict? :idea:

Not saying who is right here just pointing out its a vexing problem from both sides. :pullhair:

Edited by Fastballspecial

Indeed, I can't blame the stores for wanting to make a profit, it's their job. I just wish it wasn't in a such a gray shady way.

Jerome

Yea this is why I think I've come to the conclusion that if I can't get it from my LCS im not going to bother trying to get it. I think I also have an issue with not being able to see what exactly I'm buying. I'm to OCD to get stuck with a Grab Bag hope my copy dont suck kind of option.

I hate to think what % of comic buyers are OCD. Its gotta be really high.

I reckon the OCD comic buyers are pretty concentrated in this forum. Otherwise, I doubt they can sell 100k+ issues of Batman. Most comic readers probably won't be able to tell the difference between 8.5 and 9.8.

Edited by aerischan

I always say collectible comics is an OCD hobby.

On new comic wednesdays though I think I am in the small percentile of people that care just based on my time spent in local shops. Maybe the online buyers here are more picky because we are seeing the purchase as an investment grade book not just a reader copy.

I would guess 95% of the people I see picking out books don't even look at it first. If this is because they assume new books are all in the same condition or they just want to read it and don't care, I'm not sure which.

Edited by 90sChild

So a few days ago I received my Ghost Rider #1's from Frankie's Comics and most were in NM- condition except 1 of the B&W was crushed in the middle. I just received the same books from Sad Lemons Comics and they're all in NM or NM+....and can see all of them pressing to a 9.6 or 9.8. Anyone else order from multiple sellers and see a big difference in condition of their books?

So a few days ago I received my Ghost Rider #1's from Frankie's Comics and most were in NM- condition except 1 of the B&W was crushed in the middle. I just received the same books from Sad Lemons Comics and they're all in NM or NM+....and can see all of them pressing to a 9.6 or 9.8. Anyone else order from multiple sellers and see a big difference in condition of their books?

Are you saying it is better to be sad than frank?