• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NOW VENOM #1 Gabriele Dell’Otto Color B&W Secret Variants
1 1

524 posts in this topic

I received my copies the other day and am quite pleased!!!

For the record, the digression among this modern section has become almost intolerable. Some with the loudest voices have deemed themselves the experts around here, and that really is anything but the case.

It's unfortunate that two people from cbsi jumped all over me here when I tried warning people about the condition of these books. As someone else said a few replies above me, I wasn't talking out of my butt.

Anyone else know why only the cbsi guys seemed to have an issue with me being open and honest about the condition of these books? I've now read that not only is one of their admins splitting the cost of the entire print run, but I've also seen people on other boards talking about cbsi admins being involved and making money on the guaranteed 9.8 CBCS group they have and this set was one they had a 9.8 guarantee for. Someone also sent a link for a top 10 list that cbsi does and #1 was the Venom Dell'Otto Secret cover.

Are all 3 of the above issues considered normal and/or fair? Just seems like a possible conflict of interest.

Thank you for bringing this up. I hope others consider this. How much evidence has to be presented to not see this conflict of interest?

Furthermore I can't see myself ever buying anything from Frankies after this mess. Seems like a scam, you get the books while we cherry pick the good ones first. I'm good on that .

I like how the eBay listings for the variant either do not state a specified grade and just say "in a polybag" to avoid describing said condition, or post close-up pictures while in a polybag but don't show the middle of the cover -- where all the damage occurs.

Pre sales with Guaranteed grades by people in this thread should keep it up.

I bet many are nervous.

Furthermore I can't see myself ever buying anything from Frankies after this mess. Seems like a scam, you get the books while we cherry pick the good ones first. I'm good on that .

I like how the eBay listings for the variant either do not state a specified grade and just say "in a polybag" to avoid describing said condition, or post close-up pictures while in a polybag but don't show the middle of the cover -- where all the damage occurs.

Pre sales with Guaranteed grades by people in this thread should keep it up.

I bet many are nervous.

yea, pre selling books is a recipe for disaster.

On a side note, per USPS.com the books have arrived at the house. I'll be posting pictures of the books in the polybag and taken out.

I purchased 2 sets (color, sketch, & virgin). I'm hoping they are in "minty fresh" condition, but based on what I'm hearing so far that seems unlikely. But I have my fingers crossed and will hope for the best.

I have never purchased anything from Frankie's before, so this will probably influence my decision on purchasing items from them going forward.

Right of the bat, I want to say that Frankie's packed the books real well. Unfortunately, the books are not in 9.8 shape. There are spine ticks and color breaks throughout the books. Some having more than 1 spine tick which breaks color. And you can see rubbing on another. Overall, these books require a press to maybe get 1 or 2 of them to a 9.6 IMHO.

Here's the break down:

Color #1 - rubbing in two areas of front cover

Color #2 - 2 spine ticks each breaking color

B&W #1 - 1 spine tick which slightly breaks color

B&W #2 - indentation on front cover and 1 spine tick

Virgin #1 - 2 spine ticks with 1 breaking color

Virgin #2 - 1 spine tick which slightly breaks color and some minor indentations

All of the back covers looks great, it is just the front covers that look bad.

2222FC12-DF3D-4500-B436-9B20232E85B3_zpswwrsluss.jpg

The individual pictures I took don't show how bad they were. Will try again later.

If the entire print run had its couch , will there be some leniency in grading 9.8s?

Better not. A grade is a grade. Unless you are considering manufacturing defects, in which case I doubt this falls into that category

If the entire print run had its couch , will there be some leniency in grading 9.8s?

Better not. A grade is a grade. Unless you are considering manufacturing defects, in which case I doubt this falls into that category

This is what I'd like to know. I thought if there was a known, verified manufacturing defect that every issues seems to have (my back covers look stunning too) then it would have a shot at a 9.8 wouldn't it? I want to say someone told me that a few years ago. Maybe a mod can chime in on this?

Jerome

Edited by Lethal_Collector

This is what I'd like to know. I thought if there was a known, verified manufacturing defect that every issues seems to have (my back covers look stunning too) then it would have a shot at a 9.8 wouldn't it? I want to say someone told me that a few years ago. Maybe a mod can chime in on this?

Jerome

if it were printing defects and there were enough examples to prove this, then yes. However, this defect looks to be an issue with the poly bagging process, which I don't believe is considered production.

Jerome

if it were printing defects and there were enough examples to prove this, then yes. However, this defect looks to be an issue with the poly bagging process, which I don't believe is considered production.

As far as I know, it's not. Someone good to ask would be mshmidt.

This, to me, is post production, and it totally sucks.

Jerome

As far as I know, it's not. Someone good to ask would be mshmidt.

This, to me, is post production, and it totally sucks.

Yea I tend to agree with you and Resurrection, bummer. Hard to prove otherwise. My glimmer of hope is that it's just the front covers. To me that is totally odd that a few of use have seen flawless BCs and garbage creases in the middle of the FC. I'm got gonna sub them to find out.

Jerome