• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NOW VENOM #1 Gabriele Dell’Otto Color B&W Secret Variants
1 1

524 posts in this topic

Just got off the phone with Frankie's Comics looking for an update on my order.

"It should ship next week"

Hahaha what a joke...

Cancelled my order.

At least they were quick with the refund :makepoint:

That sucks sorry to hear that, at least they gave you a refund and on the brightside be thankful you aren't one of the people that paid 200 bucks for a pre-ordered set on ebay i bet those guys are having fun explaining to their ebay buyers they still dont have the book yet.

Just got an email from Sad Lemons saying that starting with Venom #3 they're going to start offering guaranteed CGC 9.8 copies of their variant books. That means probably less being distributed to other orders?

Shady racket there. It means they'll be cherry picking books. Less NM raw copies for everyone else.

Good luck to those people that get VF/F/G raw copies........

So if I buy the venom 3 variant through 7ate9 website, they won't be NM since the lemon site is hoarding all the 9.8 copies?

It may or may not be 9.8 NM/MT depending on the average condition they receive from the publisher and how many folks buy a CGC 9.8 copy.

I've paid $40-50 for CGC 9.8 slabs on ebay because of that "guarantee" in condition for what are essentially $5 books that I need for my PC.

Sad lemons, 7ate9, Frankie's, and comic mint have an at least 9.2 guarantee.

Yes, but many of the Venom #1 Dell'Otto Variants fell short of the 9.2, yet they still sent them out.

Its a great scam though, kind of makes me wish I owned one of those 4 places. Get a bunch of dudes to order your limited release variant, then you get to cherry pick all the good ones and send them all the . Great business model.

It seems more likely that they don't have the time investment for every employee to scrutinize each book before they send it out. When I go to pick up new comics on wedensdays, it takes me a good 5 minutes per issue to pick out the one I want. If there's a pile of 10 or 20 to go through, it takes time if you want a 9.8. No employee is going to spend the time doing that for people especially when they have 3000 or so copies to sell.

I just have to add, it IS extremely common for new untouched books to be worse than 9.2 I see it every single week. The paper quality on these modern books is thin like toilet paper and will crack and color break on the lightest touches.

Edited by 90sChild

It seems more likely that they don't have the time investment for every employee to scrutinize each book before they send it out. When I go to pick up new comics on wedensdays, it takes me a good 5 minutes per issue to pick out the one I want. If there's a pile of 10 or 20 to go through, it takes time if you want a 9.8. No employee is going to spend the time doing that for people especially when they have 3000 or so copies to sell.

I just have to add, it IS extremely common for new untouched books to be worse than 9.2 I see it every single week. The paper quality on these modern books is thin like toilet paper and will crack and color break on the lightest touches.

Dude, even if it's a one man operation, it's well worth their time to go through the 5/600 virgin 'secret' variants and pull the 9.8s. It should take maaaybe an hour to pull the best copies out of that size lot.

Dude, even if it's a one man operation, it's well worth their time to go through the 5/600 virgin 'secret' variants and pull the 9.8s. It should take maaaybe an hour to pull the best copies out of that size lot.

Yea, I agree. There's just too much financial incentive not to. They'll really reap the benefits a month or two later. Although I'd think it'd take more than an hour to go over 500 books, even if it took one guy 4 hours it'd be well worth it.

Jerome

Edited by Lethal_Collector