• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Warren Magazine Appreciation - Cover & Story Favorites
4 4

242 posts in this topic

I am becoming a big fan of the Creepy mags.and want to try to get a complete set in VF or better.On to Creepy #1 :applause:

:baiting:

121492.jpg

:whee:

Soon my friend,very soon. ;) By the way is it for sale? :grin:

Negative. I've been wanting a nice copy of this for a while. Mission accomplished. :headbang:

I am becoming a big fan of the Creepy mags.and want to try to get a complete set in VF or better.On to Creepy #1 :applause:

:baiting:

121492.jpg

:whee:

Soon my friend,very soon. ;) By the way is it for sale? :grin:

Negative. I've been wanting a nice copy of this for a while. Mission accomplished. :headbang:

It is very nice,the search is on for me. (thumbs u

Maybe you have seen this, but it's still my favorite copy of Creepy #1.

Even though it is not super high grade, it's the only file copy I have ever seen for this issue.

It took a year to get all 3 sigs.

Creepy1fileSS.jpg

Thanks, but there are plenty of people with bigger and better Warren collections than me.

I mostly collect Frazetta covers, for a couple of reasons, first off I don't have the space for 400 or so cgc mag slabs. Secondly I have been a Frazetta fan for years, long before this, my second round of collecting. My first set of Warrens were sold in the 70's, I had full sets of Creepy, Eerie and Vampirella back in the 70's, and it was just too much to keep up with, that is why this time around I decided to just collect the ones I really wanted the most.

In my opinion, the Frazetta covers were the best of the series, there are a few that come close, but none of the others interest me as much as his. I do like the cover for Creepy #1, Jack Davis was pressed into service for that cover since Frank was busy with paperback book covers at the time. Frazetta was the intended artist for that cover, but I think the Davis cover is pretty cool. Too bad he did not do more covers, but Jack did most of the Uncle Creepy and Cousin Eerie illustrations for the stories inside, so I guess that kept him busy enough.

It was late autumn 1964. I was perusing the comic rack at the News Depot on the north side of Dundas Street just west of Wellington in downtown London. Staring me in the face right beside the comics were two monster magazines unlike any I'd ever seen before.

The first was this very wild 3-D magazine:

18-05-2011110410PM.jpg

The second was the first issue of Creepy:

Creepy1.jpg

So taken was I by these two magazines I forgot all about the comics. As a result, I can't narrow the date down to a certain month from the comics I remember on the rack.

I decided to choose just one of the two magazines, finances probably being a consideration. Now the 3-D concept was powerfully exciting to my young mind, but the Creepy magazine had more content overall. Moreover, the 3-D Monsters was $0.50 and the Creepy only $0.35. That settled it. So the Creepy it was!

A sound choice too in retrospect given how that Creepy issue launched a whole genre of new horror magazines while the 3-D Monsters ended up a largely forgotten one shot. But a vague recollection of that 3-D magazine stayed with me over the years and I wondered about its identity after I started reaccumulating the Warren magazines again thirty years ago. But lo and behold a copy showed up on the wall of Dragon Lady Comics on Queen Street in Toronto some twenty years ago, unused 3-D glasses and all! I snapped it up immediately.

:cool:

Edited by Hepcat

I recently read Blazing Combat 1-4 in a trade paperback format.

Simply put, the best war comic books I've ever read - surpassing even the ECs I regard so highly. The trade also have interesting info about the difficulty Warren had publishing these issues due to the backlash from the American military!

I cannot recommend these highly enough!