• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Warren Magazine Appreciation - Cover & Story Favorites
4 4

242 posts in this topic

Lucked into these today.....

Went to the bank for a little refinancing information and after we were done my wife got me to stop at the antique mall across the street. In one of the class cases was a stack of magazines and on top was a "Creepy" for $8. I asked to see the stack and every comic mag in the stack was $8 each. Some more Creepy, Eerie, Devilina #1 and these six that I purchased......

Vampirella #12

vampi12.jpg

Vampirella #9

vampi9.jpg

Vampirella #6

vampi6.jpg

Vampirella #5

vampi5.jpg

Vampirella #2

vampi2.jpg

AND.........

Vampirella #1

vampi1.jpg

Happy Days!!

:o(worship)

Lucked into these today.....

Went to the bank for a little refinancing information and after we were done my wife got me to stop at the antique mall across the street. In one of the class cases was a stack of magazines and on top was a "Creepy" for $8. I asked to see the stack and every comic mag in the stack was $8 each. Some more Creepy, Eerie, Devilina #1 and these six that I purchased......

Vampirella #12

vampi12.jpg

Vampirella #9

vampi9.jpg

Vampirella #6

vampi6.jpg

Vampirella #5

vampi5.jpg

Vampirella #2

vampi2.jpg

AND.........

Vampirella #1

vampi1.jpg

Happy Days!!

:o(worship)

Nice !!!!

As resurrection seems Warren related...I thought I would do it to this thread!

Here's some Warren stuff!

Note the address label - and notes to (or from..don't know his handwriting well enough) Jim himself with "referred to pages" following

WarrenBox010.jpg

WarrenBox011.jpg

WarrenBox012.jpg

WarrenBox013.jpg

Edited by ivegotneatstuff

Fascinating thread. For me there is only one choice for best story. (The envelope) On the Wings of a Bird by T.Casey Brennan and Jerry Grandenetti. It was the first comic story that was philosophical in tone rather than being plot or violence driven. It won "Best Story" probably in 1973 and deserved it.

Here is a question. Jim Warren published Phil Seuling's comic convention program booklet in 1973 and it had a distinctly Warren flare about it. Is it considered a Warren book? Do Warren completists treasure it?

Ron

Was that the story with the young man who has a dream of flying away on a giant bird, but while he was sleeping the bird had flown away without him?

Never saw the Seuling convention booklet before, do you have a scan?

I have both of these which I believe Warren completists would consider collect worthy.

93915.jpg.8666aba53dbc84bf188bdeaf921007f0.jpg

93916.jpg.5eed5643efd55fe2d1f674149fe82c08.jpg

Nice stuff, and speaking of Warren Appreciation has anyone noticed the last 2 sales for Vampirella #1 in 9.2 :o

Feb-25-2010 $1,673 Cert# 0912962001

Feb-16-2010 $1,700 Cert# 0500844003

I'm not sure where the one on the 16th was, but the 25th was Heritage.

Both are record sales, with the previous high being in 2007 at Jan-27-2007 $1,560.

Publications are credited to Paul Levitz, Paul Kupperberg and Steve Gilary. There are the 1973 Warren Awards for Dubious Achievements in the Industry. There is a special space for a Heidi Saha autograph. There is a short Bill Dubay comic strip. There is an ad asking for contributions from an unamed publisher which (I'm pretty sure) has Warren's phone number attached to it and a back cover with a painting of Creepy, Eerie and Vampirella on it. It has a lot of others stuff too promoting all publishers and many cartoonists from as far back as the golden age. At the time, it seemed to have a lot of Warren stuff, though going through it now, there is not as much as I thought. His does get the front and back covers though. At the time Warren seemed like a smaller publisher and there was certainly a lot in there about Warren considering his status. The word was also that he had a hand in the publishing though surprisingly Levitz and the others are listed as being in charge of the publications.

I was hooked on Creepy when I was about 9 or 10 years old - I found them at this old antique store I used to buy comics and baseball cards at. I don't even recall how I ended up buying several of them, but I did.

Murders in the Rue Morgue and Cask of Amontillado were my two standouts from back then. I'm starting to casually put together a reader set for myself. I love Creepy!

Some back story.I did a commission for Jason/Diggler,and during the process just fell in love with this cover.Here is the artwork I did for him.

353.jpg

Then I bought this at Terry's Yorba Linda show today.One of only two in the census. :applause:

lf2.jpg

So thank you Jason for introducing me to this really great book.

I don't collect warren magazines, but I want a copy of this one, the cover is awesome, so is your artwork oakman. (thumbs u

Thank you! I got a deal on this one,don't know what these are worth with only two 9.2s in the census 13 total graded.I only paid 60.00 dollars for the slab,so I feel good about this one. :applause:

I don't collect warren magazines, but I want a copy of this one, the cover is awesome, so is your artwork oakman. (thumbs u

Thank you! I got a deal on this one,don't know what these are worth with only two 9.2s in the census 13 total graded.I only paid 60.00 dollars for the slab,so I feel good about this one. :applause:

Oakman, very nice artwork! You grabbed yourself a very nice issue by the way.

Oakman, very nice artwork! You grabbed yourself a very nice issue by the way.

Thanks! The book is a beauty. :grin: