• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MIKE CARBO'S BIG APPLE CON - MARCH 11 & 12, 2017 - NYC
2 2

114 posts in this topic

Have to add... I was VERY tempted to pull the trigger on a book from Ted at Superworld.  Superworld Comics who is also a board member here had a fantastic inventory. 

51 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

I didn't have much of a wait.  I went on line at around 2:45 - 3:00 on Sunday.  I pretty much just walked right up with a CGC rep.  There wasn't anything else I saw there though that I felt like spending money on right 'now' as compared to what I know is coming up on auction in the next few months.  

I must say that this was more of a comic show than last year's.  Last year Carbo had the Russian Mail Order bride thing going on in the room.  That was kind of all sorts of weird.  It was probably weirder that I recognized that it was someone that advertised her 'services' on the Stern show.  There was none of that this year.

What was with the beer person downstairs?  I noticed that as I was leaving and had to catch a train so I could not stop. 

I am definitely adding a Jim Steranko signed Nick Fury, Agent of...S.H.I.E.L.D. #1 comic book to my wish list.  I have already passed on two opportunities to add one to my collection.  I think that the young lady downstairs was selling coffee on tap, Buzzetta.

On March 12, 2017 at 5:41 PM, My young Padawan said:

I also purchased a Superman pencil drawing from Ramona Fradon.  She is a very kind woman.  I am considering having Neal Adams ink the original pencil drawing one day.  Any advice on whether or not to have an original pencil drawing by Ramona Fradon inked by Neal Adams would be very much appreciated.  Congratulations on your very successful weekend.

If I were you, I would not have anyone ink the piece. Keep it as is.

If you really want it inked, Neal Adams would not be my choice. I'm not a fan of his inking. I always felt that Giordano's ink elevated Neal Adams art. 

You can have blue lines made of the Fredon piece and then have an inker ink the blue lines. That way, you keep the penciled version as is and have an inker version right next to it. As for who can ink it? I would explore inkers whose work you enjoy and contact them about it.

1 hour ago, JasonDaTwit said:

If I were you, I would not have anyone ink the piece. Keep it as is.

If you really want it inked, Neal Adams would not be my choice. I'm not a fan of his inking. I always felt that Giordano's ink elevated Neal Adams art. 

You can have blue lines made of the Fredon piece and then have an inker ink the blue lines. That way, you keep the penciled version as is and have an inker version right next to it. As for who can ink it? I would explore inkers whose work you enjoy and contact them about it.

Thank you for the reply, JasonDaTwit.  I agree with you about keeping the drawing as is.  I have decided against having it inked because I am concerned that it would compromise any appreciation of Ramona Fradon's penciling skills.

On 3/12/2017 at 11:50 PM, Junkdrawer said:

From Terrys to Carbos and where next is the big question. If I could find juicy shows like this to attend once per month, My alley would look like yours in no time

I have stayed away from Eternalcon for the last couple of years as that show sort of... well... meh.  However, there is a renewed interest if he is seriously moving the show to the Nassau Coliseum 

I heard there was a bit of a dust-up between an artist and a promoter from another show.  I don't know the details, just a general story.

I haven't been to this show is a few years, but I can't say I ever had a bad time there.  I think April or May would be better, weather wise.  The nice thing is that you are a block walk from 2 dozen food spots. 

1 hour ago, Spidey 62 said:

I heard there was a bit of a dust-up between an artist and a promoter from another show.  I don't know the details, just a general story.

I haven't been to this show is a few years, but I can't say I ever had a bad time there.  I think April or May would be better, weather wise.  The nice thing is that you are a block walk from 2 dozen food spots. 

I skipped the show this year and am saddened as much at missing my chicken zesto sandwich at cafe europa down the street as I am at missing the comics!

I waited in line for 90 minutes for my chance to meet with the great Steranko. The line moved at a snail's pace because he likes to meet and talk with each person for a good long time. It was well worth the wait. He's a chatty guy, and had a lot of interesting insights about the history of comics, his motivation for working on Nick Fury/Shield, etc. And then he signed these for me, with a metallic green pen that he reserves for Polaris:

IMG_1625.JPG

32 minutes ago, Zolnerowich said:

I waited in line for 90 minutes for my chance to meet with the great Steranko. The line moved at a snail's pace because he likes to meet and talk with each person for a good long time. It was well worth the wait. He's a chatty guy, and had a lot of interesting insights about the history of comics, his motivation for working on Nick Fury/Shield, etc. And then he signed these for me, with a metallic green pen that he reserves for Polaris:

IMG_1625.JPG

Those look great! Steranko is always the coolest guy in the room wherever he is. I do wonder though, could you share how you managed to get those signed without personalizations; I have found him rather insistent on the matter.

Edited by Bird
clarity

31 minutes ago, Zolnerowich said:

IMG_1625.JPG

Very nice, Zolnerowich.  Well done.

6 minutes ago, Bird said:

Those look great! Steranko is always the coolest guy in the room wherever he is. I do wonder though, could you share how you managed to get those signed without personalizations; I have found him rather insistent on the matter.

My sample size is limited, as I have only had the pleasure of seeing him at one show, but for $5 he would leave the auto unpersonalized. If you went with the free option then he personalized the book. Seemed fair to me.

9 minutes ago, Bird said:

9 minutes ago, My young Padawan said:

Thanks for the comments!

1 minute ago, mysterio said:

My sample size is limited, as I have only had the pleasure of seeing him at one show, but for $5 he would leave the auto unpersonalized. If you went with the free option then he personalized the book. Seemed fair to me.

Regarding the signatures, the pricing was $15 per signature on a comic book, or 25$ (or $35?) if you wanted the signature to be CGC-certified. (I declined that offer.) There were a bunch of large-sized posters which I think cost a bit more per signature. Anyhow, when Steranko finally got around to the signatures, he asked, "Can I sign this to a specific person?" or something like that.  I said, "Nah." He said, "Okay."

I probably would have paid extra to avoid the personalized touch, if it had come to that.

21 minutes ago, Zolnerowich said:
40 minutes ago, Bird said:

40 minutes ago, My young Padawan said:

Thanks for the comments!

32 minutes ago, mysterio said:

Regarding the signatures, the pricing was $15 per signature on a comic book, or 25$ (or $35?) if you wanted the signature to be CGC-certified. (I declined that offer.) There were a bunch of large-sized posters which I think cost a bit more per signature. Anyhow, when Steranko finally got around to the signatures, he asked, "Can I sign this to a specific person?" or something like that.  I said, "Nah." He said, "Okay."

I probably would have paid extra to avoid the personalized touch, if it had come to that.

My experience was a few years ago, and at a smaller show, so his prices have likely just gone up. He was free for personalized autos (but I think those were limited), $5 for unpersonalized, and $15 for CGC books. Thanks for the more recent pricing info.