• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MIKE CARBO'S BIG APPLE CON - MARCH 11 & 12, 2017 - NYC
2 2

114 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, AnkurJ said:

I went on Saturday. Fun show! The media guests being on the 18th floor of the hotel allowed the floor space to be much less crammed. It never felt overcrowded. The line for CGC was long all day Saturday. I did manage to stop by late on Saturday though.

Two copies of Action 1, and a copy of Detective 27 were for sale. A few art dealers were present. Overall though less comic dealers vs other stuff. I sold one book to Harlee, and bought no comics. Did buy some art/sketches.

Jim Lee had a decent line for his signing but nothing crazy.

The Frank Miller Batman in the frame was $50k. That was the only price I looked at before moving on.

How long was the CGC submission line later on Saturday afternoon, AnkurJ?  The line was horrendous in the middle of the day.

19 hours ago, Junkdrawer said:

The show was very good. There were deals to be had. No complaints here. Heroes of North Carolina was my go to guy (Shelton Drum) he had undoubtedly the most GA boxes in A-Z packed with goodies. Everything in my photo came from him except Dynamics 16 (that I got from Harley Yee). Room temp was perfect. Crowd was large and limited to 2% cosplay, I think they corralled them to the 18th floor. My #1 mission was to meet Sqeggs & Comicjack and lo and behold, mission accomplished. 2 of the greatest most knowledgeable guys you could ever chat with. Call it a boardie dinner if you will but I had the pleasure of breaking bread (NYs finest pizza actually) with these 2 gents and the we walked over to the Metro Gallery and met with Jon Berk and his breathtaking books and OA. 

image.jpg

They look wonderful all together and a great time meeting you gentlemen love the Kid Comics best  Junk  :luhv:

2 hours ago, My young Padawan said:

How long was the CGC submission line later on Saturday afternoon, AnkurJ?  The line was horrendous in the middle of the day.

About 10-15 deep.

9 hours ago, Junkdrawer said:

From Terrys to Carbos and where next is the big question. If I could find juicy shows like this to attend once per month, My alley would look like yours in no time

Heroes Con in June and Baltimore in September would nicely fill two more months on your calendar although you are probably already aware of them. Might I recommend NC Comic Con in Durham in November. There are several dealers there with Golden Age.

1 hour ago, Murphman13 said:

Heroes Con in June and Baltimore in September would nicely fill two more months on your calendar although you are probably already aware of them. Might I recommend NC Comic Con in Durham in November. There are several dealers there with Golden Age.

I did have Baltimore on my radar. And I was speaking to the guy who runs Heros. He was saying it was a great show, but hearing that from you means more than hearing it from him. 

3 hours ago, comicjack said:

They look wonderful all together and a great time meeting you gentlemen love the Kid Comics best  Junk  :luhv:

Thanks Jack! Can't wait to hit another show. Yes meeting you guys was the highlight no doubt. I like the Gun Moll cover always wanted that one. To pull it from a box was like Christmas.

Edited by Junkdrawer

Thanks for those that have posted reports and pics.  I really wanted to attend (having attended the last several years) but couldn't this year.  Anyone buy from Zapp's?  Just curious, they always have nice material at this show.

14 minutes ago, Junkdrawer said:

I did have Baltimore on my radar. And I was speaking to the guy who runs Heros. He was saying it was a great show, but hearing that from you means more than hearing it from him. 

Great show all the way around.  Tons and tons of dealers - small local guys to the big national dealers.  I wish it was a bit closer but I may buy a cheap plane ticket for it since it's so good.

5 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

Great show all the way around.  Tons and tons of dealers - small local guys to the big national dealers.  I wish it was a bit closer but I may buy a cheap plane ticket for it since it's so good.

Jet blue gotta be the cheapest

Just now, Junkdrawer said:

Jet blue gotta be the cheapest

Usually is but I really have a hard time fitting in the seats since I'm 6'5" 270 lbs.  I have to cram in a normal airline seat let alone those tiny charter seats.  But since it's an hour flight to and from Cleveland I guess I can suffer for the price discount.

56 minutes ago, Junkdrawer said:

Here is a wall pic (not mine) from last Novembers NC  Comic con. I love that bottom row.

IMG_2834.JPG

13 minutes ago, Murphman13 said:

Here is a wall pic (not mine) from last Novembers NC  Comic con. I love that bottom row.

IMG_2834.JPG

You setting up at Baltimore or Heroes this year?  After the beating I took last year at Baltimore I'm concentrating on E-Bay sales and seeing where I stand next year.

49 minutes ago, Murphman13 said:

Heroes is no. Baltimore is maybe. Tampa and Durham are the only two I know I will attend.

(thumbsu Hope you have some great shows this year!

Forgot to add that someone on the 18th floor of the hotel had many originals by Winsor Mccay on display. There were many Uncle Sam illustrations as well ad a few little nemo pieces. They were truly amazing to see and unexpected.

3 hours ago, AnkurJ said:

About 10-15 deep.

That is not so bad.  I was told that the length of the line was approximately the same as that on Sunday.  Hopefully CGC will staff an additional person next year in order to cut down on the wait.  Thank you for the reply, AnkurJ.

1 hour ago, My young Padawan said:

That is not so bad.  I was told that the length of the line was approximately the same as that on Sunday.  Hopefully CGC will staff an additional person next year in order to cut down on the wait.  Thank you for the reply, AnkurJ.

At NYCC, the CGC booth is larger and better staffed than it was at the Carbo show last weekend.  So the wait is generally shorter. 

41 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

At NYCC, the CGC booth is larger and better staffed than it was at the Carbo show last weekend.  So the wait is generally shorter.

There are also two CGC booths at New York Comic Con.  There is one upstairs and one downstairs.  That would not have been necessary at Big Apple Con, but there was definitely a need for additional people from CGC to be working there.  Hopefully next year.

19 hours ago, SpideyFein said:

I went yesterday as well. Was looking for an AV1, but no pristine beauties to my liking. All I got were these two beauties signed by the man as well Andrew. I had a great conversation with him as well. I had mentioned it in my other post but Steranko is a smooth operator. He made a 20+ year old blush and offer him her number. I honestly think she would have given it to him. 

Anyhow, I'm proud to have these. Two of my favorites, especially the 111. I got these both for $45, and was surely pleased. I read the 110 while I waited for over an hour too see Steranko as well. I figured I might as well get them inscribed with my name. It will always remind me of the moment! 

image.jpeg

I didn't have much of a wait.  I went on line at around 2:45 - 3:00 on Sunday.  I pretty much just walked right up with a CGC rep.  There wasn't anything else I saw there though that I felt like spending money on right 'now' as compared to what I know is coming up on auction in the next few months.  

I must say that this was more of a comic show than last year's.  Last year Carbo had the Russian Mail Order bride thing going on in the room.  That was kind of all sorts of weird.  It was probably weirder that I recognized that it was someone that advertised her 'services' on the Stern show.  There was none of that this year.

What was with the beer person downstairs?  I noticed that as I was leaving and had to catch a train so I could not stop.