• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MIKE CARBO'S BIG APPLE CON - MARCH 11 & 12, 2017 - NYC
2 2

114 posts in this topic

K

7 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Probably too late to help you, but there was no line when I bought my ticket at the door at around 12:30 pm. Crowded, but not excessively so and not nearly as hot on the floor as previous years. 

No thats great im going tomorrow just wanted an idea of what i was walking into mainly going to submit some books to CGC.

5 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

They have five or six of his best books on display, including Action 1, Cap 1, and Fantastic 3.  No pre-Robin Tecs that I saw.  IH 1 CGC 9.0, Tec 1 3.5, Batman 1 restored 7.5, Superman 1 1.0. I'll try to post a couple of pics later. 

Sounds good to me and looking forward to some of the pics.  (thumbsu

Surprised they don't have the Tec 29 on display as this appears to be one of the bigger dollar books from their upcoming auction. 

Remember to save some memory space in your camera for pictures from Jon Berk's Collection in their gallery tonight. 

The show was very good. There were deals to be had. No complaints here. Heroes of North Carolina was my go to guy (Shelton Drum) he had undoubtedly the most GA boxes in A-Z packed with goodies. Everything in my photo came from him except Dynamics 16 (that I got from Harley Yee). Room temp was perfect. Crowd was large and limited to 2% cosplay, I think they corralled them to the 18th floor. My #1 mission was to meet Sqeggs & Comicjack and lo and behold, mission accomplished. 2 of the greatest most knowledgeable guys you could ever chat with. Call it a boardie dinner if you will but I had the pleasure of breaking bread (NYs finest pizza actually) with these 2 gents and the we walked over to the Metro Gallery and met with Jon Berk and his breathtaking books and OA. 

image.jpg

18 minutes ago, Junkdrawer said:

The show was very good. There were deals to be had. No complaints here. Heroes of North Carolina was my go to guy (Shelton Drum) he had undoubtedly the most GA boxes in A-Z packed with goodies. Everything in my photo came from him except Dynamics 16 (that I got from Harley Yee). Room temp was perfect. Crowd was large and limited to 2% cosplay, I think they corralled them to the 18th floor. My #1 mission was to meet Sqeggs & Comicjack and lo and behold, mission accomplished. 2 of the greatest most knowledgeable guys you could ever chat with. Call it a boardie dinner if you will but I had the pleasure of breaking bread (NYs finest pizza actually) with these 2 gents and the we walked over to the Metro Gallery and met with Jon Berk and his breathtaking books and OA. 

image.jpg

After seeing Junkdrawer's negotiating skills at close quarters, I'm hoping to hire him next time I need to buy a new car.  I'll end up with the zero percent financing and the larger engine and the upgraded trim package and lifetime free oil changes, all at 40% below invoice. :)

And the pizza really was very good, although the company was even better.

1 hour ago, Sqeggs said:

After seeing Junkdrawer's negotiating skills at close quarters, I'm hoping to hire him next time I need to buy a new car.  I'll end up with the zero percent financing and the larger engine and the upgraded trim package and lifetime free oil changes, all at 40% below invoice. :)

That's quite a nice haul there.  (thumbsu

Felt like it was 10 years ago as little has changed in that time at the Big Apple Con.

Got there at 10:00 and the line went halfway down the block towards 6th ave After about 20 inutes online and only moving up about a third of the way, They came down the line and asked all Cash/Credit card purchasers to move up to the front?!?!  Did so and was inside the Con in another 5 minutes.

Mike was all over the place and as animated as ever.   They were following him around with a Camera for quite a bit.

The CGC sumbission line was LONG and Slow, so I hope you guys with books got there early.   I was really hoping that Matt would be there as I had some resto questions for him and wanted to show him a major repair He did back in 1999 on a All Star 3 that I now have.

Stopped by Byron's (TV Comics) table which he seemed to be sharing with Silver comics.   I worked a couple of shows with him over the years and it was great to chat again.

Went up to the 18th floor to see Barbara Eden.   I CANNOT believe she is 85 years old - still a BEAUTY!!

I think that's also  where Jim Lee was behind a curtain with a huge line queued up.

Didn't see Bob Storms and was surprised.   Also didn't hook up with anyone at the show, so I ate my Lunch while watching Michigan take down Minnesota further uptown before catching the Bus back to PA.

It was freakin COLD and Windy out so the con was quite pleasant.   Glad I went...

3 hours ago, Junkdrawer said:

image.jpg

Beautiful new acquisitions, Junkdrawer.

BIG APPLE CON was a fun, old school show. Ended up getting quite a bit of art from Ramona Fredon and Howard Chaykin. Chaykin was charging $40 for headshots. He was funny as hell and signed and drew contented while talking about tv shows, actors and movies. He had a stack of pages as well as panels he drew from a variety of his books. I settled on this full figure piece that was $75. I also commissioned two pieces -- Batman on an ALL STAR BATMAN blank cover and Capt. America on a CAPTAIN AMERICA blank cover.

Ramona was charging $30 for pre-done headshots and $100 for pre-done full figures. I commissioned a Metamorpho on a JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA for $80. When she was done with it initially, I was not happy with it. I spoke with her about it and she added more details to the piece. When I got it back, I was much more satisfied with how it turned out. 

The only thing that puzzled me about Ramona was her art was literally repetitive. Someone posted last week or the week before a piece she did of Metamorpho in a museum, a full scene.  She had a piece that practically looked just like it on her table today for $100. She had some multiples of the same drawings -- (2) of a headshot of Riddler with a nose as big as his smile. There was also Batman and Robin bust piece with the heads of the villains surrounding them which I've seen before somewhere else. Maybe it's like Neal Adams where he draws the same side profile Batman for everyone for $200? I don't know.

Scott Koblish was doing full color headshots for $40 so I ended up getting Batman.

COMIC CONNECT was showcasing some of Frank Miller's artwork. No idea on pricing so I didn't bother asking but I took photos for you to check out. The piece were large, definitely bigger than convention comic covers. Miller's line was ridiculous so I didn't bother getting any of my items signed. He was charging $100 per signature.

Jim Steranko was there signing. $15 for an autograph and $25 for CGC. Not sure if his signature was free if you bought a poster though. He had original art, all Nick Fury busts pre-done and he was charging $1200-$1500. 

Overall, had a nice time and would definitely do it again.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

5 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

It was great wasn't it and seeing Jon Berk again after many years since San Diego 

1 hour ago, JasonDaTwit said:

BIG APPLE CON was a fun, old school show. Ended up getting quite a bit of art from Ramona Fredon and Howard Chaykin. Chaykin was charging $40 for headshots. He was funny as hell and signed and drew contented while talking about tv shows, actors and movies. He had a stack of pages as well as panels he drew from a variety of his books. I settled on this full figure piece that was $75. I also commissioned two pieces -- Batman on an ALL STAR BATMAN blank cover and Capt. America on a CAPTAIN AMERICA blank cover.

Ramona was charging $30 for pre-done headshots and $100 for pre-done full figures. I commissioned a Metamorpho on a JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA for $80. When she was done with it initially, I was not happy with it. I spoke with her about it and she added more details to the piece. When I got it back, I was much more satisfied with how it turned out. 

The only thing that puzzled me about Ramona was her art was literally repetitive. Someone posted last week or the week before a piece she did of Metamorpho in a museum, a full scene.  She had a piece that practically looked just like it on her table today for $100. She had some multiples of the same drawings -- (2) of a headshot of Riddler with a nose as big as his smile. There was also Batman and Robin bust piece with the heads of the villains surrounding them which I've seen before somewhere else. Maybe it's like Neal Adams where he draws the same side profile Batman for everyone for $200? I don't know.

Scott Koblish was doing full color headshots for $40 so I ended up getting Batman.

COMIC CONNECT was showcasing some of Frank Miller's artwork. No idea on pricing so I didn't bother asking but I took photos for you to check out. The piece were large, definitely bigger than convention comic covers. Miller's line was ridiculous so I didn't bother getting any of my items signed. He was charging $100 per signature.

Jim Steranko was there signing. $15 for an autograph and $25 for CGC. Not sure if his signature was free if you bought a poster though. He had original art, all Nick Fury busts pre-done and he was charging $1200-$1500. 

Overall, had a nice time and would definitely do it again.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

You and I seem to have a couple of things in common, JasonDaTwit.  I commissioned Howard Chaykin to draw a Han Solo sketch on my Star Wars: Han Solo #1 Blank Variant cover that Mark Brooks signed at New York Comic Con.  Howard Chaykin is such a terrific person.  I am very thankful that I not only finally got to meet him, but that he was also willing to draw a sketch of Han Solo for me.  He was also willing to add "IT'S TRUE.  ALL OF IT." to the artwork.  I also purchased a Superman pencil drawing from Ramona Fradon.  She is a very kind woman.  I am considering having Neal Adams ink the original pencil drawing one day.  Any advice on whether or not to have an original pencil drawing by Ramona Fradon inked by Neal Adams would be very much appreciated.  Congratulations on your very successful weekend.

Edited by My young Padawan

I went on Saturday. Fun show! The media guests being on the 18th floor of the hotel allowed the floor space to be much less crammed. It never felt overcrowded. The line for CGC was long all day Saturday. I did manage to stop by late on Saturday though.

Two copies of Action 1, and a copy of Detective 27 were for sale. A few art dealers were present. Overall though less comic dealers vs other stuff. I sold one book to Harlee, and bought no comics. Did buy some art/sketches.

Jim Lee had a decent line for his signing but nothing crazy.

The Frank Miller Batman in the frame was $50k. That was the only price I looked at before moving on.

Edited by AnkurJ

Was there on Saturday with my son and all I can say is wow. Totally overwhelmed by the amount of beautiful books and art for sale. Not sure if the dealers were making any money but the con was very well attended. Really wanted to check out the Berk collection at Metropolis but went to the Big East final at the Garden instead. What a day. 

Bought one book... bought one book and had it signed by the man himself and then said goodbye to it for a couple of months while it is graded.  This replaces the Nick Fury 1 cgc 9.2 signed by Steranko that I sold over the summer.  (Someone made me an offer I couldn't refuse for that... $650)

Met up with my friend Pete, took a look around, took a train to Bayside, met up with another friend, she drove me to Forest Hills, had dinner at 5 Burros then hopped a train home... also took my picture in front of a kind of important mural... 

Might I also add that it is cold A.F. in NYC and I decided to travel sans jacket because of the legendary heat at the Carbo show... 

Screen Shot 2017-03-12 at 10.49.54 PM.png

IMG_5622.JPG.jpeg

I went yesterday as well. Was looking for an AV1, but no pristine beauties to my liking. All I got were these two beauties signed by the man as well Andrew. I had a great conversation with him as well. I had mentioned it in my other post but Steranko is a smooth operator. He made a 20+ year old blush and offer him her number. I honestly think she would have given it to him. 

Anyhow, I'm proud to have these. Two of my favorites, especially the 111. I got these both for $45, and was surely pleased. I read the 110 while I waited for over an hour too see Steranko as well. I figured I might as well get them inscribed with my name. It will always remind me of the moment! 

image.jpeg

25 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Sounds like a great show. Carbo's shows deliver. Thanks for the reports guys. 

Nice haul Chris. Stuff right up my alley!

From Terrys to Carbos and where next is the big question. If I could find juicy shows like this to attend once per month, My alley would look like yours in no time