• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Heritage November Signature Auction

432 posts in this topic

If you have to ask what the difference is, I can't explain it to you. If you already knew, I wouldn't have to.

Have you been feeding lines to my wife?!

I can't answer. My clients rely on my discretion.

If you have to ask what the difference is, I can't explain it to you. If you already knew, I wouldn't have to.

Have you been feeding lines to my wife?!

I can't answer. My clients rely on my discretion.

lol

Cindy 37 went a little less than I expected. I put a couple bids in but just couldn't go the distance with it.

Is this not almost double what a similar graded copy sold for just earlier this summer? ???

If so, that looks like a pretty healthy increase to me. :o

I track Cindy #37 pretty closely (as best I can without GPA) and the highest prior sale I recorded was a 5.0 @$1,599.95 (non-CGC) on 2/20/2016.

When I submitted mine it was the highest on CGC, then another 5.5, now two 6.0's and one 7.0. I'd estimate the 7.0 probably would go for $3,500.

There are a lot of great GGA covers out there, but for me Cindy #37 has to be in top 10 (maybe top 5?). It reminds me more of a pin-up girl or WWII aviation nose art than other GA covers.

Cindy 37 went a little less than I expected. I put a couple bids in but just couldn't go the distance with it.

Is this not almost double what a similar graded copy sold for just earlier this summer? ???

I track Cindy #37 pretty closely (as best I can without GPA) and the highest prior sale I recorded was a 5.0 @$1,599.95 (non-CGC) on 2/20/2016.

When I submitted mine it was the highest on CGC, then another 5.5, now two 6.0's and one 7.0. I'd estimate the 7.0 probably would go for $3,500.

There are a lot of great GGA covers out there, but for me Cindy #37 has to be in top 10 (maybe top 5?). It reminds me more of a pin-up girl or WWII aviation nose art than other GA covers.

Here is some sacrilege. I like Cindy 37. I don't love it. It does have that nose art feel, yes, but I like almost all the Juniors better and a few of the Phantom Lady and about 20 various other Baker covers. Again- I do like it and would not turn another copy down, but it is more like a top 30 book for me for GGA.

Here is some sacrilege. I like Cindy 37. I don't love it. It does have that nose art feel, yes, but I like almost all the Juniors better and a few of the Phantom Lady and about 20 various other Baker covers. Again- I do like it and would not turn another copy down, but it is more like a top 30 book for me for GGA.

I completely agree. I'd probably add Archie #50 and Spirit #22 as well. Very nice covers, but not in my top 50 GGA covers. It goes both ways though. For instance, Jo-Jo #11 is a top 5 cover for me, but most people wouldn't put it in their top 50.

I completely agree. I'd probably add Archie #50 and Spirit #22 as well. Very nice covers, but not in my top 50 GGA covers. It goes both ways though. For instance, Jo-Jo #11 is a top 5 cover for me, but most people wouldn't put it in their top 50.

We are on the same page sir on all of that. Fight 39 is a favorite of mine. I never thought much of Spirit 22 until I had one. It is nice in hand for some reason. Jojo 11 and 25. All Top 16 and 18, Phantom Lady 18 and 23, Blue Beetle 52, which I like better than 54, Fight 40 and 41, Rangers 14 and 26 and half a dozen others. These are all (and many more) better good girl books than Cindy 37. It is obviously all subjective which makes it more fun.

All of that being said I still do like Cindy 37. It's definitely a great book.

Admittedly very difficult to create a definitive top 10, 30 or even 50 really - that must be why I keep buying more?

Jo-Jo Comics #8, 10, 11, 14 and 17 are all really high up there for me, Junior, Blue Beetle, anything of Baker's, PL, Spirit, the list long. Obviously to each there own.

The argument I put forth for Cindy #37 is that it is somehow different - again not really comic like (imo). Maybe it's not as highly ranked because the artist is unknown? But consider its simplicity and subtlety - the shadow of the phone cord on the arm, the contrasting differing sense urgency and perception of time between Cindy and the gentleman waiting on the couch. There is an element of sexual tension being created that goes beyond simply showing a pretty girl.

If you were forced to make a Top 10 list and couldn't put the same artist or title in the list twice - then what?

We are on the same page sir on all of that. Fight 39 is a favorite of mine. I never thought much of Spirit 22 until I had one. It is nice in hand for some reason. Jojo 11 and 25. All Top 16 and 18, Phantom Lady 18 and 23, Blue Beetle 52, which I like better than 54, Fight 40 and 41, Rangers 14 and 26 and half a dozen others. These are all (and many more) better good girl books than Cindy 37. It is obviously all subjective which makes it more fun.

+1

Yes, definitely all subjective when it comes to GGA covers as there are just so many beautiful ones out there. :cloud9:

It's almost sacrilege that you are placing BB 52 over BB 54, since Blue Beetle 54 is probably acknowledged as being one of the first recognized GGA covers in our hobby. Personally though, I completely agree with you as I also prefer the cover for BB 52 over the one for BB 54. Similar to how I prefer the cover image for PL 23 over the much more iconic PL 17 which is another of the original GGA covers in our hobby. :o(thumbs u

Must be the underdog mentality that I have inside me or maybe because I've seen the other ones for way too long. (shrug)

If you like the cover for Fight 39, then how about the cover for Famous Crimes #1 which went relatively cheap on the just completed HA auction here? Almost the same pose for the femme fatale, except the one on the Fight 39 cover looks a lot more beautiful and classy as compared to the slutty looking one on Famous Crimes 1. hm

Can somebody explain to me why Seven Seas #4 is so highly sought after when it is basically just another GGA underwater cover which seems to be rather prevalent during that time period? ???

For example, Rangers 39 is also another beautiful GGA underwater cover in the same mode and does not go for anywhere near what the Seven Seas 4 is able to command in the marketplace. :cloud9::takeit:

And this is coming from somebody who owns a high grade copy of Seven Seas 4. :whee:

Matt Baker

Yes, I know, but I still prefer the green on the Rangers cover over the red on the Seven Seas cover. :gossip:

I will admit, however, that the shark on the Seven Sea cover does definitely look more menacing as compared to the stretched out tentacles of the hidden octopus on the Rangers cover. hm

Or maybe it's just a case of the grass is always greener on the other side since I already own a copy of Seven Seas 4. doh!

The shark, her pose making her look extra curvy, red is a stronger draw than green, Matt Baker.

Did I miss anything?

Perhaps that Baker manages to convince us that she occupies a volume surrounded by water which tends to draw us in? She is also responding physically to the water in her crouched, muscular pose which feels quite natural. She has been caught by surprise, it is a moment in time in which she sees the shark and begins to thrash her way into a defensive posture. We see what is in her mind.She is about to spin to confront her attacker, which she has seen out of the corner of her eye.

By contrast the Rangers cover has a somewhat less spontaneous pose.

Well, since it looks like it's going to be 100 of you guys against poor lonely me, I guess I am going to have to happily acquiesce and go with Seven Seas 4. Of course, it was pretty easy to convince me since I do happen to own a near HG copy of this book. :grin:

Can't remember where I got it from, but certainly do remember that I had to pay almost double top of guide :censored: for it which made me almost pass on the book. Picked it up in the end as GA was hot at that particular time, with dealers even offering over guide for nice GA books.