• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Heritage November Signature Auction

432 posts in this topic

Particularly on the mid-grade Seven Seas 4 which sold for more than 5X condition guide price, especially when there are 3 copies in similar grade with another further 8 more copies in even higher grade than this one here. :o

Seven Seas #4 in 6.5 pretty much maintained the same selling price ($6,100) as last year ($6,200) according to GPA. Still impressive considering the book was selling for around $3k in that condition 3 years ago.

Can somebody explain to me why Seven Seas #4 is so highly sought after when it is basically just another GGA underwater cover which seems to be rather prevalent during that time period? ???

For example, Rangers 39 is also another beautiful GGA underwater cover in the same mode and does not go for anywhere near what the Seven Seas 4 is able to command in the marketplace. :cloud9::takeit:

And this is coming from somebody who owns a high grade copy of Seven Seas 4. :whee:

Matt Baker

Yes, I know, but I still prefer the green on the Rangers cover over the red on the Seven Seas cover. :gossip:

I will admit, however, that the shark on the Seven Sea cover does definitely look more menacing as compared to the stretched out tentacles of the hidden octopus on the Rangers cover. hm

Or maybe it's just a case of the grass is always greener on the other side since I already own a copy of Seven Seas 4. doh!

If you have to ask what the difference is, I can't explain it to you. If you already knew, I wouldn't have to.

The shark, her pose making her look extra curvy, red is a stronger draw than green, Matt Baker.

Did I miss anything?

Roy why dont you ever sell me any DC/Timely books :makepoint: I have read your posts for years and still dont know what you sell/keep/like your a strange one in a good way :headbang:

Particularly on the mid-grade Seven Seas 4 which sold for more than 5X condition guide price, especially when there are 3 copies in similar grade with another further 8 more copies in even higher grade than this one here. :o

Seven Seas #4 in 6.5 pretty much maintained the same selling price ($6,100) as last year ($6,200) according to GPA. Still impressive considering the book was selling for around $3k in that condition 3 years ago.

Can somebody explain to me why Seven Seas #4 is so highly sought after when it is basically just another GGA underwater cover which seems to be rather prevalent during that time period? ???

For example, Rangers 39 is also another beautiful GGA underwater cover in the same mode and does not go for anywhere near what the Seven Seas 4 is able to command in the marketplace. :cloud9::takeit:

And this is coming from somebody who owns a high grade copy of Seven Seas 4. :whee:

Matt Baker

Yes, I know, but I still prefer the green on the Rangers cover over the red on the Seven Seas cover. :gossip:

I will admit, however, that the shark on the Seven Sea cover does definitely look more menacing as compared to the stretched out tentacles of the hidden octopus on the Rangers cover. hm

Or maybe it's just a case of the grass is always greener on the other side since I already own a copy of Seven Seas 4. doh!

If you have to ask what the difference is, I can't explain it to you. If you already knew, I wouldn't have to.

The shark, her pose making her look extra curvy, red is a stronger draw than green, Matt Baker.

Did I miss anything?

Perhaps that Baker manages to convince us that she occupies a volume surrounded by water which tends to draw us in? She is also responding physically to the water in her crouched, muscular pose which feels quite natural. She has been caught by surprise, it is a moment in time in which she sees the shark and begins to thrash her way into a defensive posture. We see what is in her mind.She is about to spin to confront her attacker, which she has seen out of the corner of her eye.

By contrast the Rangers cover has a somewhat less spontaneous pose.

Matt Baker

Did I miss anything?

Roy why dont you ever sell me any DC/Timely books :makepoint: I have read your posts for years and still dont know what you sell/keep/like your a strange one in a good way :headbang:

woowoo, I've sold off most of my personal collection. I used to own Marvel #1-13, Action #7, 15, 20 up, some early Tec/ Batman issues as well as lots of GGA but when I became a full time dealer and had to rely on selling comics for income it became impossible to hang on to books. Maybe one day I'll start again but for now it's just about paying the bills and getting the kids out of the house! :devil:

woowoo, I've sold off most of my personal collection. I used to own Marvel #1-13, Action #7, 15, 20 up, some early Tec/ Batman issues as well as lots of GGA but when I became a full time dealer and had to rely on selling comics for income it became impossible to hang on to books. Maybe one day I'll start again but for now it's just about paying the bills and getting the kids out of the house! :devil:

Changing the locks worked well for me. :D

Changing the locks worked well for me. :D

At this point it would mean jail time but soon enough it'll be legal for me. :insane:

Matt Baker

Did I miss anything?

I help you pay Bills/xmas what you got in big books

I see a nice 7.0 Fantasy 15 you still got.

That book sold years ago. The books flashing on the Home page are just examples. The books in the Marquee section are books that have sold in the past.

And that was a sweet 7.0.There was a very slight staple pop that kept it out of VF/VF+

I didn't see who pasted this image but my first thought was "Peter". Scroll to see who it was and boom goes the dynamite I was right ! Congrats on the pick up

Thanks. I didn't even notice this piece until about an hour before the auction closed.

To me it just screamed of the sort of OA you typically snag. Glad you got it.

Couldn't resist. The woman's view and reaction are funny. Can't wait to show it to my mother-in-law.

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/covers/ernie-chan-the-savage-sword-of-conan-119-cover-original-art-marvel-1985-/a/7141-94190.s

If it annoys her then it's money well spent.

Mark Twain's mother in law died overseas. When asked about funeral instructions he cabled: "Embalm, Cremate. Bury. Take no chances."

3 hours in and still not even to first comic yet...jeesh

..... art first is a policy that I don't find endearing. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Didn't OA used to have its own day? I agree that the wait for comics seems interminable.

Couldn't resist. The woman's view and reaction are funny. Can't wait to show it to my mother-in-law.

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/covers/ernie-chan-the-savage-sword-of-conan-119-cover-original-art-marvel-1985-/a/7141-94190.s

Mark Twain's mother in law died overseas. When asked about funeral instructions he cabled: "Embalm, Cremate. Bury. Take no chances."

lol

Matt Baker

Did I miss anything?

Perhaps that Baker manages to convince us that she occupies a volume surrounded by water which tends to draw us in? She is also responding physically to the water in her crouched, muscular pose which feels quite natural. She has been caught by surprise, it is a moment in time in which she sees the shark and begins to thrash her way into a defensive posture. We see what is in her mind.She is about to spin to confront her attacker, which she has seen out of the corner of her eye.

By contrast the Rangers cover has a somewhat less spontaneous pose.

As far as Rangers #39 is concerned, my number 1 recommendation for GGA books hoping to crack the top 10 covers is lose the guy in the background without a shirt!

Funny. I'll remember that one. One thing for sure is quality Krenkel art is as high priced as ever.