• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Heritage November Signature Auction

432 posts in this topic

Interesting to note that the consignor is putting up the entire Church run of Pep 1 through 21 for sale in this auction.

Simply mind-blowing - seriously, how does someone approach bidding on a run like this?

I thought I would start by getting outbid on #1 and then steadily get outbid through the entire run :(

I know we've had this discussion before when collections like this have come to market, but I'm not a fan of putting all the books in one auction. I realize that doing so is a way to make a big splash -- and that's certainly happened here. But there have to be at least few potential bidders who will have to back away from at least some of these books, but who would have been better able to bid on them if they were spread across two, or even three, auctions.

I agree that it seems counter-intuitive for the reasons you've indicated, but based on my own personal experience and observations of other auctions, putting a run up all together seems to generate the best results.

It seems to be driven by a combination of different factors:

1. the shock and awe of seeing all these books sequentially, which generates a lot of excitement

2. it really hits the OCD bone of the completists (yes, there are still some out there) who will beg and borrow whatever funds they need to snag all the books together, because they know that whatever they don't win now, they might never see again (or not for a long time); put several completists bidding top dollar all in the same auction and the bids end up going through the roof

3. if this is a run that a collector really wants, then in a sense there's no need to keep some dry powder in reserve because once this auction is over, there ain't going to be any early MH Peps coming up for sale

All you need is one determined run collector and one buyer who just wants one church copy for it to cost the run collector multiples.

I remember the Flash church run that came up for sale. I was determined to get one and the run collector had to outbid me each issue.

Good point.

I`m similarly determined to get at least one of the MH Peps, but if a run collector would like to, uh, incentivize me to stay on the sidelines, I`m open to offers. :grin:

Good luck Tim. May I suggest #6. They are all pretty great though.

I know I am planning to run the price up on one issue of the Pep run. Don't plan on winning it but definitely going to bid my max on it. :angel:

I plan on winning the 1. With such a low grade, I doubt I'll face much competition. hm

Whoever outbids me on the 7 is going to end up in Divorce Court :sumo: GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I wasn't interested before, but I'm very tempted to bid on the 7 now hm

I about pooped my pants until I check and 7 is NOT the issue I am going to bid on !

Whoever outbids me on the 7 is going to end up in Divorce Court :sumo: GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

If you actually win that one, I would guess we will see the mother of all sales threads from you the next day!

Any idea where the Seven Seas #4 is going to finished up at? hm

It's already over $6K with the juice, and that's only for a mid-grade copy, with 8 other copies grading higher than this one here!!! :o

Personally, I've always like the Seven Seas #6 myself with the green cover and its multi-color water. But that's probably also because I don't have a copy of that issue yet and probably never will with prices the way they are. :cloud9::cry:

Any idea where the Seven Seas #4 is going to finished up at? hm

It's already over $6K with the juice, and that's only for a mid-grade copy, with 8 other copies grading higher than this one here!!! :o

Personally, I've always like the Seven Seas #6 myself with the green cover and its multi-color water. But that's probably also because I don't have a copy of that issue yet and probably never will with prices the way they are. :cloud9::cry:

The next bid is $5500 ($6572 w/ BP) and that looks like the end of the line for reasonable.

Based on the bidding thus far, with 4-1/2 days to go, I think it`s safe to say that whoever wins any of the Peps is going to be required to bleed heavily for the privilege.

I`m talking Dan Ackroyd-Julia Childs levels of bleeding. :eek:

Based on the bidding thus far, with 4-1/2 days to go, I think it`s safe to say that whoever wins any of the Peps is going to be required to bleed heavily for the privilege.

I`m talking Dan Ackroyd-Julia Childs levels of bleeding. :eek:

The one I am watching is still pretty "cheap" :banana:

I have a strong suspicion that the entire MH Pep run will go to one person.

If that's the case, then this person might have to absorb some punishment bidding as it sounds like some bidders have targeted their one or two Peps that they want, and might be willing to go quite high on their targeted issues. :slapfight:

If that's the case, then this person might have to absorb some punishment bidding as it sounds like some bidders have targeted their one or two Peps that they want, and might be willing to go quite high on their targeted issues. :slapfight:

I`m assuming that to be the case, hence my comment that the winner of any book, whether one winner or multiple winners, will be bled dry in the process.

I`m assuming that to be the case, hence my comment that the winner of any book, whether one winner or multiple winners, will be bled dry in the process.

It's not a "punishment bid" if the other bidder intends to win the book.

The Peps are GA once in a lifetime books..even if you pay top dollar...when you get the book in your hands you are not be focused on what paid BUT what you bought..that is the key for any real GA collector...they are museum quality one of a kind books with the whitest of pages..mannup time...you won't be sorry