• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is Mile High a reference to their prices?
4 4

648 posts in this topic

Personally I don't think Chuck really has an "end game" , he just wants to keep buying cheap stuff that nobody wants because he can. He gets a high from it, just like when we as collectors find an elusive key we've always wanted. Chuck just does it on a grander scale.

Isn't their grading circumspect?

If you amass all those books and hold on to them so long, he wouldn't seem the type to flood the market with them. He would seem more like the type to be buried with them.

Anyone, can amass long boxes of drek.

Just wanted to say one last time----

Nobody's chicken little

I had already started a "new reply" before I saw someone had responded to my original post

My Apologies

(no chickens were harmed producing my posts)

Dont apologize to Mitch, he doesn't deserve it. He's all you say and more, he's one of the biggest *spoons* on this board.

Nobody's chicken little

I had already started a "new reply" before I saw someone had responded to my original post

My Apologies

Dont apologize to Mitch, he doesn't deserve it. He's all you say and more, he's one of the biggest *spoons* on this board.

Thanks for the clarification on chicken little..

Oh Brother, That is your opinion..which I believe is wrong, this is a real issue, heck it just does not apply to Chuck, you have other major dealers who can make a dent, just not on Mile Highs magnitude to over flood E-Bay ( they currently have 391,000 listings) andy hit his web traffic at the SAME time based upon his ability to reprice his entire website which was done last week in one keystroke.

That is mighty impressive immediate inventory control to say the least.

Edited by Mmehdy

Nobody's chicken little

My Apologies

Oh Brother, That is your opinion..which I believe is wrong, this is a real issue, heck it just does not apply to Chuck, you have other major dealers who can make a dent, just not on Mile Highs magnitude to over flood E-Bay ( they currently have 391,000 listings) andy hit his web traffic at the SAME time based upon his ability to reprice his entire website which was done last week in one keystroke.

Is english your first language?

Personally I don't think Chuck really has an "end game"

I'm not sure I do either. Or rather a viable, definable one. Do you?

Nobody's chicken little

My Apologies

Is english your first language?

Mitch has always been more concerned with the larger message than the nuances of grammar or punctuation. 2c

Personally I don't think Chuck really has an "end game" , he just wants to keep buying cheap stuff that nobody wants because he can. He gets a high from it, just like when we as collectors find an elusive key we've always wanted. Chuck just does it on a grander scale.

It'll be like The Simpsons halloween episode when Homer, having eaten the "soul donut" goes to hell (ironic punishment division). "So you like accumulating comic books, do you? Why don't you own every (worthless) comic ever printed? The trouble is you won't have the capital to warehouse them and nobody will be interested in any of them!! You'll lose your shirt!!! Bwahahahahaha!!!!!!"

It'll be like The Simpsons halloween episode when Homer, having eaten the "soul donut" goes to hell (ironic punishment division). "So you like accumulating comic books, do you? Why don't you own every (worthless) comic ever printed? The trouble is you won't have the capital to warehouse them and nobody will be interested in any of them!! You'll lose your shirt!!! Bwahahahahaha!!!!!!"

lol

mmm comics :insane:

lol

mmm comics :insane:

:roflmao:

Let's shift gears for a moment.

As I've stated, the primary reason I'm not concerned about Chuck's stash is I'm convinced that 10.98 million of his 11 million books are garbage (commodities as dictated by non-keys and/or common low grades).

The far bigger issue is what will happen a generation from now when the baby boomers finish retiring and then start dying.

I'm far far more concerned about 30 more major Golden/Silver Age collections of the Twin Cities / Savannah / Billy Wright variety coming to light over the next 5-10 years and crashing the values of pre-1966 books than I am of Chuck's passing on.

What happens when/if Vinnie, Verzyl, The Dentist, Geppi, etc. all decide to exit in the same 5-year span? Multiply that by 20 for their best customers -- most of whom are probably in their late 50s right now?

With Millennials and below not growing up reading comics like their predecessors did, who will support the values of the even mainstream Golden Age runs 20 years hence?

Seriously - who will care about things like Batman # 10-30 when we've got AR goggles that give us instant entree to virtual reality integrated with the world around us 24/7?

Chuck can destroy all 20 million of his books in a fire.

I'll be the one sweating the 200 anonymous collectors -- retired plastic surgeons, investment bankers and the like -- who are each holding 500 prime GA & SA books.

That's how the market will crash. Not by Chuck's 20 million-book pile, but by the 100,000 quality books quietly amassed by a discerning handful of baby boomers (Twin Cities-style).

This.

Is Chuck sitting on 100 copies of Incredible Hulk #181 or does he have a short box full of New Mutants #98? Even if he did, that is pittance in comparison to the number of copies floating around.

How deep is his Silver Age stock? Is he sitting on 10+ copies of key books like FF #1, AF #15, etc.? And even if he has depth on these books, are they in a high enough grade that it would matter if they were released on the market?

It just seems unlikely that MH has gathered enough books of significant value to harm the market if he started blowing out his stock for pennies.

Let's shift gears for a moment.

As I've stated, the primary reason I'm not concerned about Chuck's stash is I'm convinced that 10.98 million of his 11 million books are garbage (commodities as dictated by non-keys and/or common low grades).

The far bigger issue is what will happen a generation from now when the baby boomers finish retiring and then start dying.

I'm far far more concerned about 30 more major Golden/Silver Age collections of the Twin Cities / Savannah / Billy Wright variety coming to light over the next 5-10 years and crashing the values of pre-1966 books than I am of Chuck's passing on.

What happens when/if Vinnie, Verzyl, The Dentist, Geppi, etc. all decide to exit in the same 5-year span? Multiply that by 20 for their best customers -- most of whom are probably in their late 50s right now?

With Millennials and below not growing up reading comics like their predecessors did, who will support the values of the even mainstream Golden Age runs 20 years hence?

Seriously - who will care about things like Batman # 10-30 when we've got AR goggles that give us instant entree to virtual reality integrated with the world around us 24/7?

Chuck can destroy all 20 million of his books in a fire.

I'll be the one sweating the 200 anonymous collectors -- retired plastic surgeons, investment bankers and the like -- who are each holding 500 prime GA & SA books.

That's how the market will crash. Not by Chuck's 20 million-book pile, but by the 100,000 quality books quietly amassed by a discerning handful of baby boomers (Twin Cities-style).

This.

Is Chuck sitting on 100 copies of Incredible Hulk #181 or does he have a short box full of New Mutants #98? Even if he did, that is pittance in comparison to the number of copies floating around.

How deep is his Silver Age stock? Is he sitting on 10+ copies of key books like FF #1, AF #15, etc.? And even if he has depth on these books, are they in a high enough grade that it would matter if they were released on the market?

It just seems unlikely that MH has gathered enough books of significant value to harm the market if he started blowing out his stock for pennies.

Why does anyone believe Chuck has numerous copies of ANY of the books you mentioned?

His web site does not show a single copy of IH181, AF15, or FF1, let alone multiples of any of them.

I did notice a FF2 in VG for over $1,400, but no #1.

I would think that if Chuck had numerous copies of say AF15, that at least one of them would be on his website. It might be a poor 0.5 copy with a cool $1,000,000 price tag, but it would still be there.

I am NOT staying Chuck might not have a personal collection with some nice key books, but I don't think he has a short box full of AF15s or FF1s sitting around collecting dust. Just my opinion.

Why does anyone believe Chuck has numerous copies of ANY of the books you mentioned?

His web site does not show a single copy of IH181, AF15, or FF1, let alone multiples of any of them.

I would think that if Chuck had numerous copies of say AF15, that at least one of them would be on his website. It might be a poor 0.5 copy with a cool $1,000,000 price tag, but it would still be there.

I am NOT staying Chuck might not have a personal collection with some nice key books, but I don't think he has a short box full of AF15s or FF1s sitting around collecting dust. Just my opinion.

Wishful thinking?

Nerd paranoia?

Conspiracy theorists?

Take a number...

Chuck found arguably the greatest collection ever. What did he do? He unloaded it. Then he did it again.

Chuck may be a tad eccentric but he's not a fool. He's a businessman.

He's also a master of self promotion.

If he did have multiple copies of these silver age keys, I believe they would be listed there, for all to see on his website. They may be accompanied by some ridiculous stratospheric price tag, but they'd be there.

So Hudson, yes I agree with you.

This thread was fun when it was about MHC. Now it's just lame.

That again is a matter of opinion., I think this thead is very important in terms of the future of our comic book world, myself I have been involved over 55 years..you call yourself an "old guy" so I assume you been around for a while also. Let remind you about Robert Bell and a number of big fish of years past never had 11-12 million comic books, of course they have been 30 years of new comics being made. At almost 400,000 ebay listings, that is a stagering number.

Those who look far ahead ...are way ahead of the curve....looking down the road is not fun...its a reality check.

That again is a matter of opinion., I think this thead is very important in terms of the future of our comic book world, myself I have been involved over 55 years..you call yourself an "old guy" so I assume you been around for a while also. Let remind you about Robert Bell and a number of big fish of years past never had 11-12 million comic books, of course they have been 30 years of new comics being made. At almost 400,000 ebay listings, that is a stagering number.

Those who look far ahead ...are way ahead of the curve....looking down the road is not fun...its a reality check.

Good comment. I find the speculation interesting.

Wishful thinking?

Nerd paranoia?

Conspiracy theorists?

Take a number...

Chuck found arguably the greatest collection ever. What did he do? He unloaded it. Then he did it again.

Chuck may be a tad eccentric but he's not a fool. He's a businessman.

He's also a master of self promotion.

If he did have multiple copies of these silver age keys, I believe they would be listed there, for all to see on his website. They may be accompanied by some ridiculous stratospheric price tag, but they'd be there.

So Hudson, yes I agree with you.

I absolutely agree with the both of you. If Mile High is accumulating lots and lots of drek -- and nothing we've seen would indicate anything to the contrary -- then there's no impact to the market, nor will there be.

For key issues, how many would you have to own to actually affect the market? As an example, the aforementioned Hulk #181, there are currently 8841 copies listed on the census (some of those are certainly books that were cracked and resubbed, but even so, that would leave how many actual graded copies -- 6000? 7000? 8000?). And that doesn't include the numbers of the book that are unslabbed (like my copy). To be able to control the market price of the book -- either by having enough of the book to control the price you're selling it at, or to devalue the book entirely by flooding the market with it -- how many of those copies would you have to own? Certainly a decent percentage of them -- and as it's been pointed out, MH currently has zero copies of the book listed. If MH has a "key", it'll be listed -- check out his Batman Adventures #12 -- NM at $2250! :o -- so, the belief that MH is sitting on all of these copies of SA or BA keys (or even regular non-keys) in any grade, and enough to influence market prices has no evidence to back it up. (Heck, if you look at ALL of his Hulk issues available for sale on his website, I have more high grade copies of early issues in my own collection -- #102-200 -- than he does. :ohnoez: ).

And the idea of 11 million books being a staggering amount -- again, it depends what those books are. For some context, in April 1993, Comichron reports a staggering 48 million comic books being ordered in that month alone. :o If someone could accumulate every one of those books themselves, they would have a ridiculous number of books in their possession -- four times Chuck's claimed inventory -- and it wouldn't put them in position to control the market, but might put them in position to be fitted for a straight jacket. ;)

I think Junkdrawer about six week ago unloaded 20 or more Hulk 181 in slabs mostly in high grades.

Don't think the "market" even burped after digesting 'em.

I'm also with the skeptics about quality and depth or breadth of the MHC overhanging "inventory."

OTOH, evolutionarily speaking, trepidation or risk aversion about what the future might hold has been a self-preserving instinct for the better, so imo questioning is healthy.

:news: It's all a matter of opinion. :gossip: