• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is Mile High a reference to their prices?
4 4

648 posts in this topic

On 9/23/2022 at 6:49 PM, Mmehdy said:

Chuck just posted his new video with Kevin Smith visiting his store and promoting Clerks 3  movie today on youtube. He said on the video he does not like to sell his comics??? Quite a odd attitude from a large dealer.

That's very likely why he prices so aggressively 

On 9/23/2022 at 6:25 PM, Hottohman said:

If it were anyone else I'd think they were being sarcastic, but are you being serious?

His approach is quite contrary to the usual comic book dealer  business model. On the video above he again states he does want to sell his "stuff" which is why he prices it greatly above current market price. In part that is why he has something like 15 Million comics and books however I cannot think of another dealer that does what he does with his attitude. He is quite unique. I still fail to see what that would justify for you to pay 2x,3x market value unless he is the only source of the material in which he can create any market price he wants. Is there any other dealer out there that anyone is aware of similar to Chuck and yes that is a real question?

On 9/24/2022 at 1:26 PM, Hudson said:

Those days when filling that hole in the collection took “work”.  

Yup. Very intense days back then, especially for an obsessive-compulsive kid like me in England.  There was a certain American comic book I wanted, only the newsstand available to me, often without many issues never distributed over here, and, no comic shops, no idea how to get hold of mail order lists or fanzines, being unaware of any other serious readers or collectors in the area, and the agitated dilemma of how to obtain that elusive book from a very distant country. 

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 9/24/2022 at 5:13 PM, darkstar said:

Chuck says this in his videos all the time, he has no interest in selling his books

His pre-internet prices didn’t seem as bad, so I wonder what stimulated the change in attitude?  

On 9/24/2022 at 12:26 PM, Mmehdy said:

Is there any other dealer out there that anyone is aware of similar to Chuck and yes that is a real question?

There's a bit of this with Doug Sulipa... He definitely is more ready to sell, but much of his massive inventory is also many, many multiples of guide. In my mind, the difference is that Sulipa actually specializes in obscure stuff that you can never find anywhere else, and in many grades. He also has a big international audience. All of this combines to make him a "destination" seller online. Paying $30 for a $1 book makes more sense when you're (for example) a passionate Great Grape Ape fan in desperate need of a copy of #2 from 1976.

On 9/24/2022 at 8:26 AM, Hudson said:

I wanted to thank you for this post (and not via just a “thanks” emoji).  

Posts like this are what I like about the boards.   Stories about how comics have impacted a person.  Stories about the “good old days” of print catalogs and picking “alternates”.  Stories of perhaps a simpler time.  

Yea, the internet is awesome and has made finding those “hidden treasures” and “hard to find” items easier, however, many times I miss those days of “the hunt”.   Those days when filling that hole in the collection took “work”.  When that print catalog came in and I would quickly thumb through the pages to see what I could find (and afford).  

I could go on, however, this is not about my younger days, but rather just a thank you for your post and for reminding me once more of those days gone by.   Those days, whose remembrance, bring me a smile. 

I wish the boards were full of more posts like yours. 

Thank you!

Wow, well that's very kind of you, I appreciate it! I have a tendency to be longwinded, so it's nice to hear that I wrote something worth reading! Thanks!

On 9/26/2022 at 12:22 PM, F For Fake said:

Wow, well that's very kind of you, I appreciate it! I have a tendency to be longwinded, so it's nice to hear that I wrote something worth reading! Thanks!

Sorry, TL:DR can you give me the coles notes of what you wrote?

On 3/24/2023 at 11:49 AM, rjpb said:

That'd be a hard sell at a 95% off sale. 

That $800 though? a lot of comic goes into that "$800!" :banana: 

On 3/24/2023 at 10:49 AM, BlowUpTheMoon said:

A friend visited the Mile High store this week.

1442294077_11359(1).jpeg.101d2a28b8deec87013ced4950e57c14.jpeg

On 3/24/2023 at 11:56 AM, valiantman said:

How did they get Coors to sponsor their cardboard-boxes-and-construction-paper trip to a taping?

idk, but there were a few billboards as a kid I would have sponsored from Coors, these cats are more the type, so maybe windows of opportunity? I'm sure it was just to commemorate attending or attempting to get on the show :cheers: rather than an "official anything." Still they still look way too sober to be a winner on the Price is Right lol