• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is Mile High a reference to their prices?
4 4

648 posts in this topic

I'm new to the hobby & I've noticed that mile high's prices are higher than alot of other shops .                              I'm always checking out mile high's website to see what their asking for something & then I definitely search to see if I can get it cheaper elsewhere (thumbsu

I'm actually in Denver and thinking of visiting MHC today. But man looking at these website prices, I'm not sure if there's any point except to see what a warehouse-sized comic shop looks like.

I mean I get his pitch in the earlier posted video about "context" and maybe that was true in the brick and mortar age, but when I can get a book in better condition at 1/4 of his price for a Fine from somewhere reputable like Metropolis (which tells you something since Metro prices upmarket anyway), why would I ever buy from this guy? 

I guess I'll go for the novelty of it and to add it to my list of shops I've visited but I expect it will be a lot like the episode of the Twilight Zone where the guy can finally read any book he might want and his glasses break. Metaphorically speaking, of course. 

On 9/21/2022 at 7:25 AM, Limited66 said:

I'm actually in Denver and thinking of visiting MHC today. But man looking at these website prices, I'm not sure if there's any point except to see what a warehouse-sized comic shop looks like.

I mean I get his pitch in the earlier posted video about "context" and maybe that was true in the brick and mortar age, but when I can get a book in better condition at 1/4 of his price for a Fine from somewhere reputable like Metropolis (which tells you something since Metro prices upmarket anyway), why would I ever buy from this guy? 

I guess I'll go for the novelty of it and to add it to my list of shops I've visited but I expect it will be a lot like the episode of the Twilight Zone where the guy can finally read any book he might want and his glasses break. Metaphorically speaking, of course. 

Last year I mapped out a road trip that ultimately didn’t happen, and Denver was on my itinerary.  I was planning to drop into Mile High at some point just to see the place if nothing else.  So I’d say go for it.  And who knows, maybe Chuck will be running an in store 75% off flash sale, and you’ll be able to get books at current market prices.

On 9/21/2022 at 2:59 PM, Monster's Lair Comics said:

If you go there thinking it's a free trip to a comic museum, go.  There is a bunch of really cool comics and toys on display. The prices are very high, so you probably won't buy anything, but you can still enjoy it.  

That is how I picture it , a high priced museum

I've got such a soft spot for Mile High - as a young collector in Canada in the 90s, they were one of the few places online where I could find every book I needed to fill out my runs. Their pricing and grading were fair, and they shipped to Canada! :) Upon rekindling my love of collecting a few years ago, I was sad to see what had become of their site and prices. Would definitely visit the store if I were ever in the area though.

Edited by Kripsys99

On 9/21/2022 at 8:36 PM, Kripsys99 said:

I've got such a soft spot for Mike High - as a young collector in Canada in the 90s, they were one of the few places online where I could find every book I needed to fill out my runs. Their pricing and grading were fair, and they shipped to Canada! :) Upon rekindling my love of collecting a few years ago, I was sad to see what had become of their site and prices. Would definitely visit the store if I were ever in the area though.

I do recall the MHC adds in 1970 and 1980s comic books; perhaps I'll look at one in one of my comic books from those eras. Many have posted photos of them on these boards. Prices, to my knowledge and as you note, were comparable to other dealers. I do not recall ever ordering from MHC back then, so will not comment on their grading. Of course, some dealers back then (I imagine some still do) sold, for example, Very Fine (some F/VF) as Near Mint. My 10-year old self learned to grade very quickly thanks to those "fine" (I apologize) dealers.

On 9/22/2022 at 1:36 AM, Kripsys99 said:

I've got such a soft spot for Mike High - as a young collector in Canada in the 90s, they were one of the few places online where I could find every book I needed to fill out my runs. Their pricing and grading were fair, and they shipped to Canada! :) Upon rekindling my love of collecting a few years ago, I was sad to see what had become of their site and prices. Would definitely visit the store if I were ever in the area though.

They didn’t seem too bad back then, pre dotcom.

I'd be really interested to know what the spread is between the price Chuck pays for a book on one of his buying trips vs. what that same book gets listed on the website for.

FFS, they're asking $36 for a VG newsstand copy of Wolverine 143, a totally non-descript throw away issue that is in most back issue boxes for $5 at the most.  Even on a 60% off codeword sale, that book is still overpriced by about 300%.

And if Chuck paid more than $1 to bring that book in the door I'd be astonished. 

I feel Chuck is a villain and has had a negative influence on the industry. His logic, per him, is that he overcharges on purpose because he "wants to keep everything" and doesn't want to let it go. Okay.

Many retailers had a significant effect on comics throughout the 70s' and 80s' and therefore have an elevated sense of themselves. Chuck gives false information filled with bias on a routine basis and, like Steve Geppi, had a cause-and-effect influence on comics of the 80s' that I won't get into here, but is documented in the comics press of the time.

On 9/22/2022 at 7:22 PM, lordbyroncomics said:

I feel Chuck is a villain and has had a negative influence on the industry. His logic, per him, is that he overcharges on purpose because he "wants to keep everything" and doesn't want to let it go. Okay.

Many retailers had a significant effect on comics throughout the 70s' and 80s' and therefore have an elevated sense of themselves. Chuck gives false information filled with bias on a routine basis and, like Steve Geppi, had a cause-and-effect influence on comics of the 80s' that I won't get into here, but is documented in the comics press of the time.

I would be curious to hear you get into it... Or PM. 

I'm not being snarky, I truly enjoy stories about the guys who helped build this hobby. How circumstances unfolded and the hobby grew into what it is today. 

I'm 39, so I wasn't old enough to know Chuck's crazy ads or mail order catalogs.  He seems like an awfully colorful character. I imagine he deserves credit for the Mile High collection and his mail order model in the 70s and 80s. 

The Mile High 2 collection had it's own controversy, but at a minimum it was a tremendous risk and undertaking for him to pull that off. 

On 9/23/2022 at 6:12 PM, Hot Nickels said:

Went there a year ago during a trip to Denver. Place is a sh*t hole in sh*t neighborhood to be honest. Like everyone else has said the prices are so bad they are almost funny. 

Same here. I think it was in 2019 when I went. And yeah, the "neighborhood" if you can call it that was very industrial and dirty-looking. The store itself is huge, as you'd expect, and quite the spectacle including a full professional wrestling ring for some reason. When I was there it was summer and it felt like it was at least 85 degrees in the store. Not exactly the cool climate the Edgar Church books were stored in for so many years.

Edited by Dave2739