• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is Mile High a reference to their prices?
4 4

648 posts in this topic

44 minutes ago, Terry_JSA said:

Maybe that’s why the website is still dated and you can’t find what you’re looking for.. hm

I actually like the advanced search function very much. I use it for newsstand research and it’s very user friendly. I never purchase anything so I can’t vouch for the inventory control or grading.  

55 minutes ago, mattn792 said:

Well Chuck is always crying poor too, so maybe the MS DOS level website helps him maintain that image.

Dunno which is the bigger relic, MH or the original Space Jam site. 

1 hour ago, ThothAmon said:

I actually like the advanced search function very much. I use it for newsstand research and it’s very user friendly. I never purchase anything so I can’t vouch for the inventory control or grading.  

Yep. It isn't comprehensive, but MH does its level best to track the various newsstand editions and similar shenanigans to a better degree that most other sites (mostly so that Chuck can pretend that anything with a newsstand barcode is worth $100... or more). That sometimes makes for a useful research tool, but it'll be a cold day in hell when I pay his newsstand prices. Frankly, very little at MH is worth the prices they set, but I'll admit that I've bought a handful of books there. Stuff worth $8-10 that I paid $20 for because it was obscure and they had copies. Frankly, I'd check MH more often for some of my weird modern quest items -- I'll pay more than FMV near the end of runs sometimes -- except that their grading is also so inconsistent as to be a lottery.

At this point, I think the most reasonable explanation for it all is that Chuck is more interested in Mile High as an institution than maximizing the value of Mile High as a business.

Up until a few years ago it wasn't terrible with his "codeword" deals going on.  I filled several runs of FF, Alpha Flight, Excalibur, and a few others for dirt cheap over the last few years.  I went on the site to check some stuff a week or so ago and the pricing was so far off the rails it wouldn't even make sense with a 75% off codeword sale.  Unfortunate, as I used to order a bit from MH back in the 90s and early 00s.  MCS has kinda been my go-to for back issues now if I can't find what I'm looking for locally.  

2 hours ago, mec3437 said:

Up until a few years ago it wasn't terrible with his "codeword" deals going on.  I filled several runs of FF, Alpha Flight, Excalibur, and a few others for dirt cheap over the last few years.  I went on the site to check some stuff a week or so ago and the pricing was so far off the rails it wouldn't even make sense with a 75% off codeword sale.  Unfortunate, as I used to order a bit from MH back in the 90s and early 00s.    

When I stopped caring for MCS as a dealer, I went back to Mile High to check it out.  I also used to order from them "back-in-the-day," but eventually stopped due to VERY inconsistent grading (the last straw being an issue of Swamp Thing sold as Near Mint - even with the NM sticker on the bag - that looked like it had been dropped in a puddle).  Sadly, I can confirm that what mec3437 said is not in any way an exaggeration - even with 75% off, most common, filler issues would still be triple FMV, if not more.  I don't know how Chuck can stay in business with the prices for even the most banal issues being sky-high.  

The only time I tried to order from Mile High the website said the book was in stock and I placed and paid for the order only for them to never place it. I emailed them after a while to ask about my order and they said they no longer had the book. I thought it was weird that I had to reach out to them about the order. If it was out of stock I would've thought they would've contacted me first. Never tried ordering since. Every time I do look them up their prices seem way above FMV.

Back in early '00s when they were buying up all the imploded LCS stock it had enough excellent deals to offset some of the inconsistent grading. Who else would sell you 10 copies of G.I. Joe #2 for 25% of FMV with the right codeword sale(even if 4 of them were 2nd Prints it was still an great deal)?. Alot of this stuff was a outstanding deal if it happened to be restocked just in time one of their 80% sales. Unread white page VF- copies of random silver age like Nick Fury 16 for $5? Not exactly an investment play but a very nice find for an excellently inked Kirby book. 

Edited by Digweedrocks

I just don't get it? I don't understand the business model. I just went on there this morning just to see what the current volume ASM back issues were listed for so I could fill some holes in my collection and they are through the roof :p I got 30 issues from Midtown today for $80 they would have been over $1000 or more over at Mile High's site. Surely nobody is actually buying books from their site? What is the purpose of their website if not to sell books? Everything I look up on it is way over priced and not by a little but by a ton.

I think they don't upgrade their website for fear of being called out for their grades or their stock.  It'd be much easier for a regular person to see or find comics with an upgraded website instead of the &&&&$$&$ one they have that's still stuck in the 90s.  But you order from them anyway because they're the best and they have so much to choose from, except when you actually get it, you realize the comics aren't "Near Mint" and the prices are inflated to compensate for their "coupons".  These "Near Mint" comics have stains and pieces coming off of them, so you get what you paid for.  I will never, EVER shop here again and I will never, ever support this business ever again.

On 8/13/2021 at 6:30 PM, Hudson said:

Tomorrow is Free Comic Book Day.

Apparently at MH, you can buy a complete set of this year's "free" comics for $100.

https://www.milehighcomics.com/cgi-bin/backissue.cgi?action=direct&issue=33733656155 1

:facepalm:

I don't even know what to say anymore...

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

nothing is free at skyhighcomics lol 

On 8/13/2021 at 6:30 PM, Hudson said:

Apparently at MH, you can buy a complete set of this year's "free" comics for $100.

https://www.milehighcomics.com/cgi-bin/backissue.cgi?action=direct&issue=33733656155 1

:facepalm:

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

bennyhill.gif.e14f97e59688d956623df8789fa30b0c.gif

On 8/13/2021 at 5:30 PM, Hudson said:

I thought the same thing and started laughing as soon as I read his email.

However....to be fair......these comics are not provided free to the retailers.  They're meant as an incentive to make people aware of their local store(s) and get them in the door, in the hopes of generating future business (whether that works or not is a different story).

If Chuck provided a complete set for free through his website, nobody would have an incentive to visit a comic store in their area.  They could just sit on their couch and order the set for free without leaving their house.

Based on Chuck's emails....he's providing a few different ways to get the FCBD books (some free and some not)

1. Visit the Mile High Comics store and 3 FCBD books per customer will be free
  2. Order through the Mile High website and you can choose 1 FCBD book for free with each $10 spent.
  3. Order the entire set of FCBD books through the Mile High website for $100

But it's still sounds funny to buy the free books for $100. 

Edited by Domo Arigato