• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Don't you just hate being two seconds too late! Ugg

240 posts in this topic

I just messaged the seller and suggested to cancel the deal, and re-list the pre-code individually. Let's see if he wakes up...

I did the same. Of course if I had been two seconds sooner I wouldn't have ;)

So you have no problem taking deals for yourself, but spoiling it for others is fair game if you are late?

The two of you messaging the seller is such an absolute move.

I could not agree more.

It really shows what you are up against when so called 'upstanding' members of this hobby would descend to this level just because for once, someone (but not them) actually lucked out on ebay.

To give this some kind of context:

There may be some here who remember this...

A few years ago on ebay, a well known seller/comic book dealer aka 'Geoffrey's comics' put a FAC # 20 in 2.5 condition up for sale on a BIN for $49.99.

Needless to say someone moved faster than Donald Trump at a hairspray sale.

Did Geoffrey's comics honor the deal?

YES.

I just messaged the seller and suggested to cancel the deal, and re-list the pre-code individually. Let's see if he wakes up...

So you have no problem taking deals for yourself, but spoiling it for others is fair game if you are late?

I could not agree more.

It really shows what you are up against when so called 'upstanding' members of this hobby would descend to this level just because for once, someone (but not them) actually lucked out on ebay.

I bought a lot of bronze books, blind, at auction on eBay for around $75 not long ago. In it was a VF range Spider-Man 129. I posted my find on the boards and someone tracked down the seller, messaged them, and told them I was badmouthing them on the internet. No idea who it was, but there are plenty of tools on these boards looking for reasons to be butthurt about someone else's good fortune.

I could not agree more.

I bought a lot of bronze books, blind, at auction on eBay for around $75 not long ago. In it was a VF range Spider-Man 129. I posted my find on the boards and someone tracked down the seller, messaged them, and told them I was badmouthing them on the internet. No idea who it was, but there are plenty of tools on these boards looking for reasons to be butthurt about someone else's good fortune.

I'm learning that rapidly. Thankfully the decent folks outnumber the smegheads.

OK boys, pile on me; ain't the first time and sure as hell won't be the last.

I am all for someone bagging a $300 book for $100 and flipping it. But the poor schmuck who offered these books had no idea that he was giving away $1000+ for 75 bucks.

I simply told him what the potential value was, and suggested cancelling. He'll do whatever he wants to.

And of course none of you have ever made an honest mistake, and then backed off... :eyeroll:

super poor from

I could not agree more.

IIRC, fifties has repeatedly lamented the fact that he's an old-timey collector who's just happy to get books in any shape, but can't afford to keep up with the market. Now when someone prices low-grade books at a price that all collectors can afford he gets upset because they should have been priced higher and tries to undermine the collector who got a decent deal. That's just plain old petty jealousy.

I would suggest contacting the seller and asking for buyer id. Just let him know there were a few books on there you were looking for. Wait 3-4 days to do it so the books are likely shipped.

Then see if the buyer wants to flip some of the books.

That is the better way to do it. I've done this a few times and had success once.

+1

It is none of your business in the first place. I don't feel sorry for the seller at all. He didn't do his homework and got what made him happy. The seller scored because he was quicker on the draw than any one else and has done his home work.

Shame on both of you for this. Rubbing a seller's nose in it and possibly ruining a buyer's good fortune just because you lost out shows your lack of good character!

I am all for someone bagging a $300 book for $100 and flipping it. But the poor schmuck who offered these books had no idea that he was giving away $1000+ for 75 bucks.

I simply told him what the potential value was, and suggested cancelling. He'll do whatever he wants to.

And of course none of you have ever made an honest mistake, and then backed off... :eyeroll:

This isn't a pile on. Seller agreed to a deal and it's a valid contract.

Cancelling the sale would be a spoon move and honestly, telling him to cancel absolutely reeks.

I would suggest contacting the seller and asking for buyer id. Just let him know there were a few books on there you were looking for. Wait 3-4 days to do it so the books are likely shipped.

That is the better way to do it. I've done this a few times and had success once.

Jeeze, really Rick? I guess I'm not real surprised. Just let 'em go and move on. Books come up for sale every day. More than I can even hope to buy. Calm down brother, you just can't have them all.

Jeeze, really Rick? I guess I'm not real surprised. Just let 'em go and move on. Books come up for sale every day. More than I can even hope to buy. Calm down brother, you just can't have them all.

I thought you had already bought them all. hm

I think that is a preferable approach Rick. I was just thinking what was the buyer even supposed to do? Hit the BIN quick, or send an email to seller letting him know "I love the books but your ask is way too low." And then wait for the seller to respond while the next dude simply hits the BIN?

I'd like to think in original scenario all parties would have walked away happy and who knows, maybe buyer wanted one book and was going to pass the rest on. In new scenario that was created, seller feels reamed then buyer is upset. Even if they are able to hash it out with new knowledge I'm not clear what justice was actually served?

Y'know, this thread has really opened my eyes to just how ruthless and cut throat some people can and will be to obtain books. :sorry:

Me, I just collect and enjoy comic books in my own slow and pedestrian way. I'd rather lose out on books and retain some sort of moral compass regarding their acquisition.

Y'know, this thread has really opened my eyes to just how ruthless and cut throat some people can and will be to obtain books. :sorry:

Me, I just collect and enjoy comic books in my own slow and pedestrian way. I'd rather lose out on books and retain some sort of moral compass regarding their acquisition.

+1

So where is the line?

$300 for $100 is 33%

$1000 for $75 is 8%

Where between 8% and 33% do you deem it to be unacceptable?

+1

It is none of your business in the first place. I don't feel sorry for the seller at all. He didn't do his homework and got what made him happy. The seller scored because he was quicker on the draw than any one else and has done his home work.

Shame on both of you for this. Rubbing a seller's nose in it and possibly ruining a buyer's good fortune just because you lost out shows your lack of good character!

This sums it up very well, Bob.

Instead of listening to the group's feedback, both of them have exacerbated the situation by being stubbornly defensive and even attacking the community itself.

As I've unfortunately just learned recently, life is too short to deal with such people who just don't get it. If this was an in-person discussion, I would simply walk away from them both.

Another name added to the Ignore list, at least there's that.

Did either of the two who contacted the seller get a reply from him?

I did get a reply from him. He thanked me for educating him on the books and he would do his research from now on. I never told him to cancel the deal. I of course told him he could always go to me first if he got any more books in the future for a more fair deal. He had no intention of backing out of the deal in my opinion and took the lesson. I hate I missed out on the books like everyone else here but no sour grapes as most here suggest. That's the breaks in this hobby. I don't condone fifties either, though and think we are both being treated harshly. A deal is a deal and education is paramount and I am sure the seller has opened his eyes from the both of us. I also wouldn't go nuts if the seller did cancel because everyone's situation is different. That $1000 lost could be life changing to most but not here it seems where we drop money on funny books like it doesn't matter.