• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Origin (recap) pages

20 posts in this topic

Hi guys,

I haven't found a thread about this subject matter, so I thought I should

open one;

I was curious to learn if origin recap pages carry any premium ?

I'd assume the original origin (what a concept) pages would be highly valued,

but let's face it, they are almost as scarce as the first appearances.

So, what about origin recap pages ? Do they rate more than similar pages

depicting different scenes ?

I'd love to read your thoughts and see your examples.

Cheers,

Gal

I would say yes but I think the original recap is just part of the equation so the value bump may be marginal and might not always have a big impact. The issue/story, artist, etc. may all play a bigger role in the value. Do you have an example(s)?

I would say yes but I think the original recap is just part of the equation so the value bump may be marginal and might not always have a big impact. The issue/story, artist, etc. may all play a bigger role in the value. Do you have an example(s)?

I don't really have a specific example, I know that pages that depict popular

dramatic scenes (death of Gwen, Doomsday fight, etc) do carry a premium,

but I haven't seen origin recap pages discussed in the same way.

hmm, I dunno, it's not like origin recaps are rare. they're prolly more plentiful than anything else.

so maybe for something iconic done by a key artist there'd be a premium?

but for just in general, an origin rehash by anyone? I'd love to see some examples.

I have some published origin flashbacks for Wolverine (4) and Hellcat (1). They are hard to find and these have taken 10 years to procure. I personally made it my goal to push the whisker mask look. I really like the 1st Wolverine outfit and the Hellcat costume with the whisker mask. There are a few others out there. If anyone has one they want to sell/trade, please let me know. Feel free to follow my CAF link and comment. Commenting is something I have been trying to more of on CAF. I personally believe that these pages are not only cool because they show the origin, but are also more desirable to collectors and harder to find/buy/trade for. I mean out of my collection, they are the last things I would consider letting go.

166061.png.17d93fbfa06d4eb1d70dccddbec768e3.png

I have some published origin flashbacks for Wolverine (4) and Hellcat (1). They are hard to find and these have taken 10 years to procure. I personally made it my goal to push the whisker mask look. I really like the 1st Wolverine outfit and the Hellcat costume with the whisker mask. There are a few others out there. If anyone has one they want to sell/trade, please let me know. Feel free to follow my CAF link and comment. Commenting is something I have been trying to more of on CAF. I personally believe that these pages are not only cool because they show the origin, but are also more desirable to collectors and harder to find/buy/trade for. I mean out of my collection, they are the last things I would consider letting go.

I enjoyed your CAF pages - but I am curious where did the whiskers interest/obsession start?

Bought my first piece of OA in 2006. Went through many stages of what I wanted until I narrowed my focus to be character driven (Whisker mask Wolverine/Hellcat, Hawkeye, Green Arrow, Conan and X-23). Not to say I don't go outside my focus from time to time, but I really look for certain things on page now and the Whisker look is just something I dig. If I really like a story, I will also try to buy a page (Scalped, Otherside, Sixth Gun). Wolverine is my favorite character and the Hulk vs Wolverine fight and the whisker mask is my go to image when I think about anything comic book related. I assume we all have one of those images that drives us. That fight is just burned into my brain I guess. I must say I like your collection a lot. I currently do not own any covers, I sold the couple I had, but you have great taste and a nice selection of the modern masters.

I would 100% say they should and do carry a premium, especially if it's a concise summary retelling the origin in full.

Fans love nostalgia and those pages deliver recapturing those moments, especially if/when the original tales are either unavailable or out of average collector's budget price ranges.

Among the things I look for in art are great imagery; pages that stand alone and don't feel too much like it's incomplete; and pages that can be appreciated by a civilian.

In that

Origin or recap of origin pieces hit those buttons well. They usually contain an image of the hero that's impressive, and they stand alone by telling you a whole story on a page; civilians can look at them and grok what they are without you having to explain what issue it is and why that's important, etc.

Now of course that doesn't mean an origin recap page done last month by some artist of the moment on Spidey is worth more than or close any Ditko or Romita page. But assuming other things are essentially equal (the age of the art, the name of the artist and the imagery) I would go for an origin page.

Pages that define a character seem more interesting to me, too. Somebody once posted the last page of spidey 21 in which spidey gives us a great summation of his life via thought balloons. That to me makes it more desirable than a battle page, though I know the battle pages are what most people go for.

Here's one from my collection.

FF 243 is one of my favorite comics. I'd always wanted a page from that issue, but I think I'm even happier with this one (from 244) than I would be with most (but certainly not all) pages from the actual issue.

Byrne_FF244.jpg

Here's one from my collection.

FF 243 is one of my favorite comics. I'd always wanted a page from that issue, but I think I'm even happier with this one (from 244) than I would be with most (but certainly not all) pages from the actual issue.

Byrne_FF244.jpg

:takeit:

Here's a kinda/sorta origin recap page from my own collection. I've always liked how this particular page re-presented multiple important scenes from Black Canary's long history, stitching together a cohesive throughline life story from so many disparate moments from so many different original creators.

Shi38P3O_2402161855101.jpg