• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Teen Humor--Anything but Archie
12 12

3,276 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, lotemo said:

The "Teen Beach cover" comment got me checking through my books for the beach covers.  I thought these three issues of Gay Comics are funny because Tessie and Millie both look so angry.

First off, Tessie gets her own swimsuit cover but looks pissed because Skidsy is the life guard and all the girls want to be rescued by him:
Gay24a122_zpsrps2xitv.jpg

Next, on issue 28, Tessie has to share the cover with Millie.  They both look pissed because Skidsy has to choose one as the swimsuit contest winner.
Gay26a123_zpstyxnvymy.jpg

So then with issue 29, Millie's getting her own swimsuit cover but she looks pissed because here comes Nellie in her swimsuit.  I have to assume that's her boyfriend Flicker although he looks more like Skidsy.  Flicker was later known as Clicker once "FLICKER" was identified as a word that could be too easily transformed to a less than socially polite word when written in all caps.

Gay29a124_zpsfecqyssu.jpg

:applause:gorgeous!  Love these. Some of the best of the bunch. Cool that this genre is getting the love its so long deserved. 

The Timely swimsuit covers weren't as provocative as the GGA work by artists like Feldstein but they produced a lot of them in the late 1940's.  I've posted these before but they're always worth revisiting.

This is a Crippen Millie:
Millie5-crippen059_zpskqpt8we0.jpg

An Edgar Church Hedy De Vine:
Hedy23-Church076_zpsvrmi2zn0.jpg

And finally Rusty:
t-Rusty-014a_zpsfd0bd15f.jpg

1 hour ago, lotemo said:

The Timely swimsuit covers weren't as provocative as the GGA work by artists like Feldstein but they produced a lot of them in the late 1940's.  I've posted these before but they're always worth revisiting.

And finally Rusty:

Lotemo, really cool set :applause:I'm feeling Summertime already! Just gorgeous covers, thanks for taking on the subset request  (thumbsu

10 hours ago, lotemo said:

And finally Rusty:

Gorgeous books, Lotemo!! :applause:I especially love your Crippen Millie and Church Hedy! (worship)

The Timely swimsuit covers weren't as provocative as the GGA work by artists like Feldstein but they produced a lot of them in the late 1940's.

I may be the only one who feels this way, but I actually prefer the more subtle glamour of the Timely's as opposed to the more provocative stuff.

2 minutes ago, Mr. Lady Luck said:

The Timely swimsuit covers weren't as provocative as the GGA work by artists like Feldstein but they produced a lot of them in the late 1940's.

I may be the only one who feels this way, but I actually prefer the more subtle glamour of the Timely's as opposed to the more provocative stuff.

As I was looking at those, it seemed as if the women's figures were made intentionally, ah, subdued:)

Be interesting to know what the editorial thinking was.  Maybe aimed at a different age bracket than the more aggressively headlight covers? Worries about getting prominent display space at some newsstands? Or just a feeling that, commercial considerations aside, they shouldn't go overboard? hm

4 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

As I was looking at those, it seemed as if the women's figures were made intentionally, ah, subdued:)

Be interesting to know what the editorial thinking was.  Maybe aimed at a different age bracket than the more aggressively headlight covers? Worries about getting prominent display space at some newsstands? Or just a feeling that, commercial considerations aside, they shouldn't go overboard? hm

I'd be more interested to know what the editorial thinking was for comics like Sunny and Junior ;)

3 minutes ago, Mr. Lady Luck said:
12 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

I'd be more interested to know what the editorial thinking was for comics like Sunny and Junior ;)

I think I know the answer to that one! :)

3 hours ago, Robot Man said:

But I love some of the other ones even more...

comdotty36_zpsiu7temrr.jpg

Gave up trying to find a copy of this one a while ago. Great books RM! These beach covers are some of the best in the genre.