• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Teen Humor--Anything but Archie
12 12

3,276 posts in this topic

New add.  Tears, check.  Rusty staples, check.  Crazy pricey $$ paid in auction, check.  One more off the want list... check.

I actually think this is a top 10 cover if you go outside the "mainstream" traditional GGA covers (phantom lady etc.,).  Maybe top 10 GGA Teen Humor cover?

5122017.jpg

39 minutes ago, path4play said:

New add.  Tears, check.  Rusty staples, check.  Crazy pricey $$ paid in auction, check.  One more off the want list... check.

I actually think this is a top 10 cover if you go outside the "mainstream" traditional GGA covers (phantom lady etc.,).  Maybe top 10 GGA Teen Humor cover?

5122017.jpg

Very nice!! Congrats on that one :applause:

I wasn't that surprised by the price on that one. A top Millie cover for sure, and when bidding gets heated on GGA books, I've noticed it doesn't really matter much if they are GD or VG, as far as how high bidders are willing to go.

Ain't it the truth? I remember, not so long ago when nobody cared about books like this. I wish I had bought more but I was concentrating on finishing my pre code horror books instead. These are still low in guide so I can still get lucky once in a while.

2 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Ain't it the truth? I remember, not so long ago when nobody cared about books like this. I wish I had bought more but I was concentrating on finishing my pre code horror books instead. These are still low in guide so I can still get lucky once in a while.

Let's keep the discussion on comics! :baiting:

3 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

Let's keep the discussion on comics! :baiting:

Back of backing board was marked $5.  Not necessarily was that the price for this book at one point, but possible.  I have other books marked $5 and $10 written on the inside cover that cost me, well....

When you only have a few on the want list and you underbid the last time you saw one, well....  

5 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

Patsy Walker 1 CGC 9.4 hammered at $28,680. 

Wow. I get it's the Church copy, and that it's considered a Timely teen humor key, but that's at about twice what I would have thought the top would be.

On 5/13/2017 at 2:57 PM, path4play said:

Back of backing board was marked $5.  Not necessarily was that the price for this book at one point, but possible.  I have other books marked $5 and $10 written on the inside cover that cost me, well....

When you only have a few on the want list and you underbid the last time you saw one, well....  

I love seeing what now seem ridiculously low prices pencilled on the back covers of comics.

3 hours ago, rjpb said:

Wow. I get it's the Church copy, and that it's considered a Timely teen humor key, but that's at about twice what I would have thought the top would be.

I didn't expect it to go that high!  ... and yet I'm not too surprised.  I keep seeing auctions hit $500 and up for books that couldn't fetch $50 or $60 5 or 10 years ago such as this Gay #40

7 hours ago, rjpb said:

Surprised me, too.  I thought it might do $15K.

3 hours ago, lotemo said:

I didn't expect it to go that high!  ... and yet I'm not too surprised.  I keep seeing auctions hit $500 and up for books that couldn't fetch $50 or $60 5 or 10 years ago such as this Gay #40

DeCarlo is hot and I think collectors are finding that some of those books are brutally tough to find in decent shape. 

On 5/12/2017 at 7:54 AM, path4play said:

5122017.jpg

Was also looking at that one. Need less then 40 issues for the set. Tough finding them. 

On 5/19/2017 at 3:49 AM, lotemo said:

That's the second one in around that shape to sell for over $500 on ebay in the last month. It must be a particularly tough issue, but it also has a great cover. Some crazy auction prices for Timely teen books lately. with 2.0-3.0 copies sometimes going for $200+. It used to be just the occasional Millie or the best GGA covers of the runs that would hit those kind of prices in less than VG, but now it seems like fairly random issues will get into bidding wars. What's funny is that you'll see a GVG copy of a book sell for $200 of some book, and then a couple weeks later another will go for $50. Was the $50 a steal, the $200 a crazy outlier, or is it somewhere in between?

7 hours ago, rjpb said:

That's the second one in around that shape to sell for over $500 on ebay in the last month. It must be a particularly tough issue, but it also has a great cover. Some crazy auction prices for Timely teen books lately. with 2.0-3.0 copies sometimes going for $200+. It used to be just the occasional Millie or the best GGA covers of the runs that would hit those kind of prices in less than VG, but now it seems like fairly random issues will get into bidding wars. What's funny is that you'll see a GVG copy of a book sell for $200 of some book, and then a couple weeks later another will go for $50. Was the $50 a steal, the $200 a crazy outlier, or is it somewhere in between?

I think the sky-high price is caused by two bidders desperately wanting the same book. Eventually, one of them wins.

Later on, after seeing the final sale price, someone else is motivated to put their copy up for bids. But by this time, there's only one ambitious bidder left, so the book sells for a cheaper price due to lack of competition.