• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Teen Humor--Anything but Archie
12 12

3,276 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Mr. Lady Luck said:

I think the sky-high price is caused by two bidders desperately wanting the same book. Eventually, one of them wins.

Later on, after seeing the final sale price, someone else is motivated to put their copy up for bids. But by this time, there's only one ambitious bidder left, so the book sells for a cheaper price due to lack of competition.

That is a very true statement. I have seen that many times.

1 hour ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

That is a very true statement. I have seen that many times.

On that note, I'm verrrrrry happy to have landed my 5.0 Patsy1, before the trickle down would have could have caused a misfortunate price increase. And for the record... not selling.:luhv:

6 hours ago, Mr. Lady Luck said:

I think the sky-high price is caused by two bidders desperately wanting the same book. Eventually, one of them wins.

Later on, after seeing the final sale price, someone else is motivated to put their copy up for bids. But by this time, there's only one ambitious bidder left, so the book sells for a cheaper price due to lack of competition.

Some of the time this is no doubt the case, but with these books it seems more volatile, as over time they will yo-yo. I've seen some DeCarlo issues of Millie sell at auction from anywhere from $25-$225, and prices in between, with not much consideration for condition, and not following a trend one way or the other. It would seem ambitious bidders come and go, or at least equally ambitious competition does.

Just achieved a modest but difficult set- Torchy 1 thru 6 in decent, coverless condition.  All but the #3 are in great shape, despite having no covers.  I didn't have to cheat at all- (buy a book and remove the cover)- not once!  Took almost ten years, tho.  Now I can just add color photocopies of the covers, cut to size, and I'm in business. 

Torchy_lot_cvls.jpg

Anyone remember the Canadian Torchy 7 (sold thru Heritage), whose cover was an edited version of this splash page from the US #6?  Man, I wish I'd grabbed that.  Only one I've ever seen.

trchy6_splash.jpg

Edited by 29dukedog
Added material

3 hours ago, 29dukedog said:

Yea, here it is... think it was a slabbed 6.5 017.jpg

Do you know if the content was reprints or was some/all of it meant for a (never published in the U.S.) Torchy 7?

1 minute ago, Sqeggs said:

Do you know if the content was reprints or was some/all of it meant for a (never published in the U.S.) Torchy 7?

The Canadian editions of Torchy 1-6 have the same covers as the US editions, and I've always assumed the interiors are the same, too- although I've never paged through one, so I don't know for sure.  I have absolutely no idea what's inside Bell's Torchy #7.  (shrug)   I'd love to find out some day.