• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Teen Humor--Anything but Archie
12 12

3,276 posts in this topic

On 5/27/2017 at 1:49 PM, 29dukedog said:

Just achieved a modest but difficult set- Torchy 1 thru 6 in decent, coverless condition.  All but the #3 are in great shape, despite having no covers.  I didn't have to cheat at all- (buy a book and remove the cover)- not once!  Took almost ten years, tho.  Now I can just add color photocopies of the covers, cut to size, and I'm in business. 

Torchy_lot_cvls.jpg

Awesome ...... and much, much, much more difficult than one would expect (unless he/she has attempted it).  I've been working on a different 6-book "remaindered copy" run for almost the same length of time, and I'm still two books away.  :cry:  Very nicely done, Richard.  (worship)

1 hour ago, Robot Man said:

Nice grab Lady. Although, I really like the color on your old copy better (unless, it's just a scan issue). I almost always go for color strike over technical grade.

Part of it is the imaging, but I may hold on to both anyway. :luhv:

8 hours ago, zzutak said:

Awesome ...... and much, much, much more difficult than one would expect (unless he/she has attempted it).  I've been working on a different 6-book "remaindered copy" run for almost the same length of time, and I'm still two books away.  :cry:  Very nicely done, Richard.  (worship)

For the last few years, I was also just two books away.  The #1 and 2 each came up on eBay within the last couple of months!

Remaindered copies would be much, much more difficult (assuming you mean books with at least the bottom 2/3 of the fc still there).  Don't think I've ever even seen one of those in a Torchy...

Edited by 29dukedog
added desc.

30 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

So head-to-head, who wins:  Cindy 37 or Archie 50? hm

I love Archie 50, but the auction results put Cindy37 at a higher level. I'm thinking double

Patsy 1 I think has them both bested

Edited by Junkdrawer

In terms of value Cindy 37 clearly wins in low to mid grades for sure. I think in the very highest grades an Archie 50 is preferred. The highest graded copy of Archie 50 would sell for more than this copy did (maybe twice as much). The second highest graded copy of Archie 50 (several 8.0s) would sell for more than a 6.0 Cindy 37 too and I think would sell for around the same as this highest graded Cindy 37. There are obviously more Archie collectors and there are more copies available of Archie 50  (13 Cindy 37 on the census and 65 Archie 50 copies). I have had 3 Cindy 37 copies and 7 or 8 Archie 50s. I will gladly pay the cost of the highest graded Cindy 37 for one of the tied for 2nd 8.0 Archie 50s @Junkdrawer :baiting:

From a personal preference standpoint I definitely prefer Archie 50. I have wanted to love Cindy 37 but it has never really kept my interest for long. I guess I don't like the china doll baby look much. (shrug) To all the Cindy 37 lovers out there I salute you though and I think the book is a great GGA classic, just not one I am as into.

1 hour ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

In terms of value Cindy 37 clearly wins in low to mid grades for sure. I think in the very highest grades an Archie 50 is preferred. The highest graded copy of Archie 50 would sell for more than this copy did (maybe twice as much). The second highest graded copy of Archie 50 (several 8.0s) would sell for more than a 6.0 Cindy 37 too and I think would sell for around the same as this highest graded Cindy 37. There are obviously more Archie collectors and there are more copies available of Archie 50  (13 Cindy 37 on the census and 65 Archie 50 copies). I have had 3 Cindy 37 copies and 7 or 8 Archie 50s. I will gladly pay the cost of the highest graded Cindy 37 for one of the tied for 2nd 8.0 Archie 50s @Junkdrawer :baiting:

From a personal preference standpoint I definitely prefer Archie 50. I have wanted to love Cindy 37 but it has never really kept my interest for long. I guess I don't like the china doll baby look much. (shrug) To all the Cindy 37 lovers out there I salute you though and I think the book is a great GGA classic, just not one I am as into.

8.0 Archie 50 is the highest obtainable copy. I heard a custom snug fit Iron Maiden Chastity Belt guards the  9.0

2 hours ago, Ricksneatstuff said:
3 hours ago, Junkdrawer said:

8.0 Archie 50 is the highest obtainable copy. I heard a custom snug fit Iron Maiden Chastity Belt guards the  9.0

:signfunny: Yeah, the guy that owns that book is having his coffin lined with high grade slabs. I always wanted to take up grave digging hm

These black hole collectors! :)

1 hour ago, 29dukedog said:
2 hours ago, ThothAmon said:

As nice as Cindy looks my love affair with Betty goes back decades.  Plus there is no doubt what's on her mind.

Yeah- Archie.

Yeah, count me in, too.