• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Teen Humor--Anything but Archie
12 12

3,276 posts in this topic

On 11/7/2017 at 7:29 AM, Mr. Lady Luck said:

I think the seller is a boardie.  I guess it's a case of a nice copy being offered of a book with zero on the census.  I wonder if he would have pressed and graded it if he had known the kind of dough it was going to go for?

10 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

I think the seller is a boardie.  I guess it's a case of a nice copy being offered of a book with zero on the census.  I wonder if he would have pressed and graded it if he had known the kind of dough it was going to go for?

If I know that a book has been pressed, I don't bid or buy at all - regardless of the book or the condition. That's just me.

This probably belongs in the unpopular opinions thread. :shy:

15 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

It's a Dan DeCarlo cover as well and those continue to attract more buyers.  I wish that there had been formal documentation for the books he drew for Timely.  There are a number of Cindy, Nellie, and Georgie books from that era that appear to have DeCarlo artwork but there's no way to confirm it other than by the style of the artwork.  It has been confirmed that he started on the Jeanie series but all of the Jeanie work he did is unsigned as well.

Edited by lotemo

12 hours ago, Mr. Lady Luck said:

If I know that a book has been pressed, I don't bid or buy at all - regardless of the book or the condition. That's just me.

Did I say "pressed"?  Of course, I meant "caressed." :)

Patsy Walker is one of those titles that can easily be considered Teen Humor or Romance. This issue is absent from the census. More of a forefather to magazines like 'Seventeen' than comic book, the interiors are mostly how to and advice pieces on everything from party planning to beauty and fashion, and after reading a lot of it i suddenly..feel...i don't know...'pretty' :shy:

Girls' Life #5.jpg

5 minutes ago, sagii said:

Patsy Walker is one of those titles that can easily be considered Teen Humor or Romance. This issue is absent from the census. More of a forefather to magazines like 'Seventeen' than comic book, the interiors are mostly how to and advice pieces on everything from party planning to beauty and fashion, and after reading a lot of it i suddenly..feel...i don't know...'pretty' :shy:

Girls' Life #5.jpg

I felt very pretty after reading this one!rOs7e8k.jpg?1

35 minutes ago, sagii said:

Girls' Life #5.jpg

Nice!  That's a very tough series.  Not a single copy of any of the six issues is on the census. I have raw copies of issues 1 and 2, both in the VG range. Don't think I've ever seen a high grade copy of any issue.

On 11/9/2017 at 7:00 AM, Mr. Lady Luck said:

Luck I have to say I had a Spirit #22 graded by "the other guy" at 3.5.  Sold it, and buyer pressed and re slabbed here and got a 5.0.  I guess from buyer perspective I get what you are saying but as seller I have to believe that was hard lesson for me?!

@Sqeggs Thanks! Yes, and of all their years of doing it, HA has only had two issues of #1 pass through their hands, no copies of the other issues. Tough short runs like this are right up my alley of trying to complete, but this one may prove daunting (:

I guess if we submit our copies the series will be represented at last on the census :taptaptap:

12 minutes ago, sagii said:

@Sqeggs Thanks! Yes, and of all their years of doing it, HA has only had two issues of #1 pass through their hands, no copies of the other issues. Tough short runs like this are right up my alley of trying to complete, but this one may prove daunting (:

I guess if we submit our copies the series will be represented at last on the census :taptaptap:

My secret plan was to wait until I had all six issues and get them all graded at once. :ph34r:

Of course, at the rate I'm accumulating them, that will be in about 2025. 

11 hours ago, path4play said:

Luck I have to say I had a Spirit #22 graded by "the other guy" at 3.5.  Sold it, and buyer pressed and re slabbed here and got a 5.0.  I guess from buyer perspective I get what you are saying but as seller I have to believe that was hard lesson for me?!

I would much rather buy an unpressed 3.5 than a pressed 5.0. For me, pressing = restoring. But that's just my opinion.

1 hour ago, Mr. Lady Luck said:
13 hours ago, path4play said:

I would much rather buy an unpressed 3.5 than a pressed 5.0. For me, pressing = restoring. But that's just my opinion.

We used to have long and very contentious threads on this issue.  Most of them ended up being locked -- after generating a lot of ill will. As a kid, I used to try to press out spine rolls by putting the comic under a pile of heavy books.  It usually helped only a little.  I guess I see modern pressing as a better way of doing the same thing. 

For better or for worse, given the way prices have been going, most GA books will end up being pressed.  For a while, some people in the G/S/B thread used to indicate whether they knew the pressing history of the books they were selling.  I can't recall the last time I saw someone do that, although perhaps some still do. As a practical matter, it's often difficult to tell whether a book has been pressed or not, which is a key reason that CGC says it doesn't consider pressing to be restoration.  At one time, of course, Overstreet said that it was.

43 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

We used to have long and very contentious threads on this issue.  Most of them ended up being locked -- after generating a lot of ill will. As a kid, I used to try to press out spine rolls by putting the comic under a pile of heavy books.  It usually helped only a little.  I guess I see modern pressing as a better way of doing the same thing. 

For better or for worse, given the way prices have been going, most GA books will end up being pressed.  For a while, some people in the G/S/B thread used to indicate whether they knew the pressing history of the books they were selling.  I can't recall the last time I saw someone do that, although perhaps some still do. As a practical matter, it's often difficult to tell whether a book has been pressed or not, which is a key reason that CGC says it doesn't consider pressing to be restoration.  At one time, of course, Overstreet said that it was.

I shouldn't have said anything to begin with. My apologies :blush:

1 hour ago, Mr. Lady Luck said:
2 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

I shouldn't have said anything to begin with. My apologies :blush:

No, not at all.  It's like that scene in the Godfather where Clemenza in talking about a war between the families says to Michael something like, "This has to happen every five years or so.  Helps to get rid of the bad blood." :)